Hello There, Guest! Register

1 user browsing this thread: (0 members, and 1 guest).

Vitamin K for heart health... and weight loss?
wiserd
I'm so meta, even this acronym

Sex: Male

Rep Post

Vitamin K for heart health... and weight loss?
01-11-2013 4:20 AM

Vitamin K was originally named for the German word Koagulation since it was thought to only be responsible for blood clotting. It was thought that interfering with vitamin K might help prevent blood clots. In the short term, it did. But it turns out that the K vitamins have an important role in calcium metabolism, and long term inhibition can lead to arterial calcification and an increased risk of heart disease.

There was a study fairly recently which demonstrated, via a population study, that calcium supplementation correlated with increased risk of heart disease while calcium from natural sources did not. My thought was that the missing link there was the K1 in calcium-containing green vegetables and the K2 in calcium-containing cheeses. With whole foods, when we eat calcium, we also get the crucial K vitamins to metabolize that calcium. Because nature is cool like that. What frustrated me about that study is that their population data set actually contained information on menaquinone intake, but the researchers, for some reason, decided not to control for that variable. Argh.

Anyway, for a while, it's been noted that cheese was not as fattening as its fat content should make it. And the difference was chalked up to the calcium content of the cheese as a metabolism booster. That was interesting, in our culture so focused on weight loss. However I recently came across a study suggesting that vitamin K may be part of that metabolism-boosting picture.

Quote:Interestingly, the addition of PK (K1 from plants) or MK-4 ( MK-4 is from meat, though the related MK-7 is produced by microbes) significantly decreased the total fat accumulation (p<0.01 and p<0.05, respectively), and serum triglycerides were reduced by 48% in the PK group and 29% in the MK group compared with the control.

[Image: Example.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 01-11-2013 4:21 AM by wiserd.)
01-11-2013 4:20 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
AlternativeGirl
Sapiosexual

Sex: Female

Rep Post

RE: Vitamin K for heart health... and weight loss?
01-11-2013 12:32 PM

(01-11-2013 4:20 AM)wiserd Wrote:  Because nature is cool like that.

Big Grin Right? Big Grin

Awesome post, wiserd! Thanks for always sharing such priceless insight! You rock!!!!!!!

Life's a garden; dig it

my journal:

http://pherotruth.com/Thread-Fun-Times-and-Pheromones
01-11-2013 12:32 PM
Jamie
Getting comfortable

Sex:

Rep Post

RE: Vitamin K for heart health... and weight loss?
03-11-2013 1:39 AM

Nice post! I was not aware what vitamin K are capable of. Thank you for sharing.

Relationship Booster
03-11-2013 1:39 AM

Share This Thread

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Liposomal Vitamin C DarkLord1 4 1,748 12-19-2019 2:20 PM
Last Post: Grok
  Serrapeptase and Nattokinase - Heart Health DarkLord1 3 2,121 10-15-2017 4:33 PM
Last Post: DarkLord1
  My road to losing weight Buzzy78 29 14,230 04-24-2013 4:28 AM
Last Post: Kahotep
  height and weight Addisonn 10 6,918 09-07-2012 3:24 PM
Last Post: AliceAndrews