Hello There, Guest! Register

1 user browsing this thread: (0 members, and 1 guest).

Member Notification of Change to Posting Policy
Arrow
Contributes Regularly

Sex: Male

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 75
Thanks received:
213 thanks in 124 posts

RE: Member Notification of Change to Posting Policy
02-06-2012 10:39 AM

What happens if someone posts in your thread while you are in the process of editing something?? That can be REALLY annoying.
02-06-2012 10:39 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
shadowknight
BOSS

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 3246
Thanks received:
310 thanks in 188 posts

02-06-2012 10:42 AM

I'm against it sometimes i like to go back and edit my posts to make sure what i said is understandable or add new detail.
Mark can you make this a poll instead?

PeRs0n@L J0uRn@L

Liquid Alchemy Labs: aqua vitae, badwolf, posses alpha, nude
Alpha Dream: Corpo,Alfa Maschio, LIIK v1
Love Scent: New Pheromone Additive, E.O.W. perception samples
True Pheromones: TA, TComm,TI oil/Body spray,TL oil/spray
HAX: m512
Paradise7: pursuit
02-06-2012 10:42 AM
Thanks given by idontknow
mark-in-dallas
Administrator

Thanks Given: 1823
Thanks received:
4766 thanks in 1970 posts

02-06-2012 11:27 AM

(02-06-2012 10:39 AM)Arrow Wrote:  What happens if someone posts in your thread while you are in the process of editing something?? That can be REALLY annoying.

If a post edit is started before somebody else has completed posting a reply the edit will will go through. It is only after a reply has posted that an edit could not be started.

And, we have removed the While You Were Typing notification that sometimes caused members to lose posts.

(02-06-2012 10:42 AM)shadowknight Wrote:  I'm against it sometimes i like to go back and edit my posts to make sure what i said is understandable or add new detail.
Mark can you make this a poll instead?

No poll. All 3 admins agreed that this was a good idea and it was not solely my decision. Pago did have reservations about the change, but he did agree that it was for the best, and Terry thought it was terrific.

Again, nobody is stopping you from adding to anything previously said, just that it has to be added in a new post after others have replied. You cannot change something you said in conversation after saying it, but can add to or better clarify what was meant after the fact. This is no different.

You either want a censor free forum or you don't. You can't have it both ways!

If you post something and then remove or change what you said after somebody has responded, how is that not censorship? Granted it is self-censorship but it is not fair to anybody that's posted a response.

Nobody changes until the pain of staying the same becomes greater than the pain of change....
02-06-2012 11:27 AM

idontknow
Serious Poster

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 3815
Thanks received:
2302 thanks in 674 posts

02-06-2012 11:37 AM

Mark, i believe we should have a poll on that, like shadowknight said.

IMO no editing can make admin lives easier, and i know SS and other editing cases cost especially you a LOT of time and nerves. No editing would make admin lives easier. I also fully understand your point about uncensored, but censorship in my book is when you censor other people's opinions and not your own. There's a big difference between someone changing what he says and another person forcing someone to change his statement.

Nevertheless there are three admins and far over 100 active members. We should let the people decide, who are actually the most effected, the members, IMO.

Journal --- Spring Sale --- Work, First-Date, Club mixes
(This post was last modified: 02-06-2012 11:37 AM by idontknow.)
02-06-2012 11:37 AM
mark-in-dallas
Administrator

Thanks received:

02-06-2012 12:02 PM

I'll restate this again: You cannot change something you wrote in an email or said in a conversation after it has been sent or said, but you can send another email or make another statement to clarify or add to what you previously said. How is this any different?

Why are some of you so emphatic about having the right to change what you wrote, after it has been replied to?

Granted you may no longer be able to post something and think about it overnight, then decide to change you mind and retract or change what was already posted, but that's ONLY if somebody else has replied after your post and may very well have influinced what the other member posted! And, nobody is stopping you from retracting or better clarifying yourself later on in a new post!

If members have the ability to change what they wrote after somebody has responded, it is in effect allowing members a level of censorhip over anyone who responds, is it not?

Nobody changes until the pain of staying the same becomes greater than the pain of change....
02-06-2012 12:02 PM
idontknow
Serious Poster

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 3815
Thanks received:
2302 thanks in 674 posts

02-06-2012 12:17 PM

I disagree with that argumentation.

1) Editing your own post is no censorship, if i get that defintion right.
2) Sure you cannot edit emails after you sent them. The main difference between emails and forums is, that emails are usually read by only a few people. As33's Journal got over 24,000 views. Now imagine he put up something that revealed his identity, or someone who knows him finds this forum. He sure as hell may want to edit some posts, wouldn't he?

You got your point Mark, but i believe it's in the best interest of the forum to have a poll on this. Why would you argue not to have a poll? Apparently not everyone is convinced that the choice on editing or not is that trivial. IMO we don't have to have a poll over everything, but i feel like this is quite an important change.

Journal --- Spring Sale --- Work, First-Date, Club mixes
(This post was last modified: 02-06-2012 12:18 PM by idontknow.)
02-06-2012 12:17 PM
mark-in-dallas
Administrator

Thanks received:

02-06-2012 12:44 PM

If somebody posts information that they later realize to be to personal or feel the need to change their identity they can request it be done by any admin. The Journals are private and can be viewed by members only and not just anybody finding the forum.

I cannot understand your argument about the diffeence between an email and a forum post. If you cannot change the meaning of something said to just 1 or a few people, why do you think it's OK to change what you've already said to a lot of people?

This seems more like an accountability issue to me. We are completely acccountable for everything we do and say in real life, but some of you seem to feel that you shouldn't be accountable for what you write here, and that's only true after what you wrote may very well may have influenced what somebody else had to say.

We are not going to have a poll for members to decide whether they should be accountable for what they write. With free speech comes responsibility!

When a politician makes an unpopular statement or says something stupid and gets lambasted for it, they cannot go back and change what they said can they? But, they can say something else to clarify or retract what was previously said.

02-06-2012 12:44 PM

preck
Serious Poster

Sex:

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 212
Thanks received:
409 thanks in 200 posts

02-06-2012 12:46 PM

Cant agree with this decision especially because if someon suspects that iam usin mones etc i basically cant delete it.I think this is not a good one,i think alot of users will think 2 times bfore posting detailed Hits etc wich will make the reports less informative and less exciting...
(This post was last modified: 02-06-2012 12:47 PM by preck.)
02-06-2012 12:46 PM
Thanks given by idontknow
mark-in-dallas
Administrator

Thanks received:

02-06-2012 12:56 PM

(02-06-2012 12:46 PM)preck Wrote:  Cant agree with this decision especially because if someon suspects that iam usin mones etc i basically cant delete it.I think this is not a good one,i think alot of users will think 2 times bfore posting detailed Hits etc wich will make the reports less informative and less exciting...

That's a valid point and may be true, but then again a forum with a bunch of empty posts isn't very informative or exciting either.

And again, the accountability aspect comes to mind.

02-06-2012 12:56 PM
Jrock
PheroJunkie

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 63
Thanks received:
106 thanks in 39 posts

02-06-2012 2:00 PM

Yes the journals are technically private and can only be viewed by members. But anyone can just sign up with fake info and start reading through the journals without ever posting. Also look at what happened to AS33 with his 4shared account. He was trying to help people out sharing his 4shared link and it bit him in the ass when someone that had access to his journal reported him to 4shared. Maybe the journals should only be able to be accessed by active or proven members of the forum. How this would be determined would be up to you guys but maybe I would suggest a post count of 5 or 10 before allowing someone to start going through the journals. I mostly lurk here on this forum but getting to 5-10 posts should be easy enough by starting off with an introduction post. Or maybe members should be able to edit their journals if they feel the need to. I have posted some crazy experiences in my journal as well as some work-related experiences (with dates) that might make it possible for someone to identify me. Yes that was my own fault for starting the journal and posting such explicit information but I would definitely feel a lot better if it was only accessible to the real phero-enthusiasts. I stopped updating my journal after awhile because besides being very busy during the holiday season, I did not think it was such a good idea to share such explicit details on a pretty much open forum. As to the situation that occurred with SS... yea that was pretty ridiculous and I can understand why you want to do something about editing posts because of that.
02-06-2012 2:00 PM

Share This Thread

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Member Posting Policy Forum Staff 0 3,292 07-10-2010 8:38 AM
Last Post: Forum Staff
  Are you having problems posting? mark-in-dallas 14 4,266 11-14-2009 2:26 PM
Last Post: Niatalya