Hello There, Guest! Register

1 user browsing this thread: (0 members, and 1 guest).

My road to losing weight
KIMBA
Perputual Noob

Sex: Often Please

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 748
Thanks received:
1640 thanks in 692 posts

RE: My road to losing weight
03-28-2013 1:50 AM

(03-28-2013 1:45 AM)extraballislit Wrote:  I've tried 24 and 36 hour fasting, but the y were very tough mentally. I like leangains approach best.

I have also tried 5 - 6 small meals a day, and also bulking and cutting, but leangains has given me the best results so far.

I'm gonna try to sumarize it for you. I think it's, by far, the most effective and convenient strategy for wight management. It's for sure the only one I've been able to stick to for prolonged periods of time, and by far, the one that has given me the best results.

1) First, you eat every day. You only fast for 16 hours and have an 8 hour window to eat one, two or three meals, whatever suits your schedul best.
I usually eat only two meals, one at 14.00 and another one about 20.00 or 21.00.

2) On training days, you eat more than on rest days, because you are burning more calories. You can start by eating your maintenance
calories + 20% on training days and your maintenance calories -20% on rest days. YOu still need to know your maintenance calories and count how manu calories you are eating, but after a coupel of monts you are familiatr with almost everything. I tend to eat the same food over and over: chicken salad, brown rice, oats, whey, casein, eggs, avocados, olives, peeper, broccoli, salmon, tuna, onion, milk, yoghourt, olive oil, whole bread... it easier if you keep your meals simple.

3) You always eat lots of protein, and cycle carbs. On training days, you eat mostly protein and carbs; or rest days, you eat mostly protein and fats. Lts say taht on training days you eat 40% protein, 40% fat and 20% carbs. On training days you keep proyein at 40%, fat at 10% and carbs at 50%.

4) You train 3 days a week, intensely, for about one hour, and that's it. You don't need to do cardio, but can add some sprints aftyer your workout.

5) If you want to keep motivated, keep track of your weight and take pictures of yourself. Do it only once a week, the same day of the week, at the same time. It does not make any sense to weight yourself everyday. Ther eare too many things that can have an effect on your weight and you don't want to get obsessed with it. It's just a number. A picture is a better tool, specially if yiu can compare it with one of the week before.

I also use an accumeasure caliper. It's inexpensive, easy to use, and accurate enough to give you an aproximate fat% that you can keep track of.

SOME CONSIDERATIONS

A calorie is a calorie. If yiou want to lose wight, it does not matter where it comes from. If you need 2000 calories a day to keep your current weight, and you eat 1500 calories from oce cream and cheeseburger, ypu will still loose weight. However, If you want to loose weight and stay healthy, you better choose healthier meals.

This means you can eat dessert and drink some alcohol fron time to time and still loose weight. I know this sounds too good to be true, but you can certainly do it. However, don't think that you can do it every day, or every week. Alcohol is not only calorie dense, but also kills your willpower and one drink can easilly become a lot more. However, not drinking at allcan ruin your social life. Try to go out at night without even drinking one beer and see everybody getting dumber and louder... you need some social lubricant to socialize with drunken people. Be wise and don't over do it.

Also, one or two cheat meals week seem to be good for your mental health. My family meets once a week and we have large meals. I usually go to the gymn before such reuninon, and eat whatever I want. It's teh only day of the week I have a chance to eat real home made food and also see my family, so I don't want to be eating lettuce and grilled fish while everyone else is feasting.

Supplement with Omega 3 and multivitamin. Calcium is not needed it you eat dairy.

Whey protein is not needed, but it's very convenient. You can prepare a protein dense drink in a couple of minutes, drink it, and keep working or doing whatever you are doing.

Hope this helps.

Talk to you soon.

Reps.

But his blog deserves a read over as does his eventual book.

90% of my posts are from my phone on the fly.
03-28-2013 1:50 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Thanks given by extraballislit, Buzzy78

extraballislit
Contributes Regularly

Sex: Male

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 1300
Thanks received:
362 thanks in 188 posts

03-28-2013 1:55 AM

(03-28-2013 1:50 AM)KIMBA Wrote:  Reps.

But his blog deserves a read over as does his eventual book.

Yeas, If you enjoyed the sumarry, go for the real thing.

Leangains blog explains it in more detail.
03-28-2013 1:55 AM
Thanks given by Buzzy78
masterofpuppets
Contributes Regularly

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 27
Thanks received:
55 thanks in 36 posts

03-28-2013 2:40 AM

The thing about a calorie is a calorie is, that yes, whilst in the context of losing weight it is, but in the context of conserving/building muscle mass it certainly isn't imo. For better results, I would focus on proper nutrition around your workout.
There are many ways to Rome, and leangains highway is a real easy cruise there for the majority of people, directions are also easy to follow. You might only make it to Italy and not get to see the Pope up close though.

As said before, different styles for different people. Some will never enjoy fasting, some will never enjoy eating every 3 hours. Some like to experiment. Different approaches for different goals. If you are a world class athlete, performance is your number one priority, not how you look in the mirror. If you are a proff. bodybuilder, you are probably the size (250-300+ lbs) where you NEED to eat all the time, just to get enough calories in to support your energy expenditure.
Choose the right tool for the job.

Above all, I think compliance is the king.
03-28-2013 2:40 AM
Thanks given by eyeofra, Buzzy78
Sptsmed
Serious Poster

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 92
Thanks received:
762 thanks in 283 posts

03-28-2013 9:25 AM

There have been a lot of research studies done, originally in worms and then in lab rats that have looked at the benefits of calorie reduction in anti aging and life extension potential. I would recommend looking into alternate day fasting as a good solution to weight loss while not losing muscle gain. With ADF you get the same benefits of glucose and insulin reduction in plasma as well as increased insulin sensitivity. The biggest difference between the two is in the effect the reduction of calories has on IGF-1 where the reduced caloric diet causes a noted drop in IGF-1 production, the ADF causes an increase.

The following is a pretty good research study done on both and has pretty interesting information and outcomes.

R. Michael Anson, PNAS May 13, 2003 volume 100, number 10

I think the 24 hour fast would be better and allow you to eat a 300-400 calorie meal heavier on protein mixed with some good GI carbs prior to bed, then on your fast day, trend more to good protein, lighter mix of good GI carbs. If you start to crave carbs, you can take L Tryptophan which will increase your serotonin levels and cut your cravings to a degree. You can also Pysillium Husk Fiber to slow the digestion process and also help to decrease an insulin dump on non fast days.

Best of luck !!!!!
03-28-2013 9:25 AM
Thanks given by Buzzy78, KIMBA, paradigmshift
Buzzy78
Serious Poster

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 406
Thanks received:
794 thanks in 355 posts

04-11-2013 3:29 AM

Hey guys a little update on my journey to lose weight:

Copied from my journal + little weight update

I have officially started on the 1st of april. I have been carefully thinking about my options with this diet before I started and made the decision to not go hardcore from the start, I'm going for a three stage rocket, starting off slow and finishing hard if needed. This will give my body and mind more time to get used to the different changes. Also when i notice results from one stage beginning become less, I can start the next stage.

1) Normal buzzy style diet (watch what I eat, but mostly stay away from fatty foods and sugars) + exercise 3 x gym a week
2) Normal buzzy style diet (1) + reduce carb intake
3) Leangains type diet (2) with fasting incorporated into it.

I was at 91kg when i started out.
4 days later i was at 90.4 kg.
I gained a little between 4-6 days at 90.6
Today, 11 days after starting I got on the scale and it read 89.8kg. (nice!)

So what am I doing now. Well my routine is quite simple and a near copy of how I did it a year ago.

Breakfast:

* 3 egg's minus 2 egg yokes.
* 2 small slices of multi grain bread
* Multivitamin, omega 3, L carnitine, green thee extract

Lunch:

* A bowl of soup
* Salad with either fish or chicken (with some lemon juice, spices and a little bit of mustard dressing)
* 2 Slices of multi grain bread
* Multivitamin, omega 3, L carnitine, green thee extract

Diner:

* Meat and vegies.. nothing else.. usually fish/chicken/beef 1/3 with 2/3 of vegies.
* No supplements

Other things I do:

3 x a week gym for between 1 and 1.5 hours. (with 15 mins of cardio)
Not eating anything 4 hours prior to going to sleep.
Drinking water/coffee/light soda.
When I get hungry in between I eat some low fat/low carb yogurt.
On training days I eat 2 pieces of fruit in between.

Why I'm doing it this way? Well this might not bring the fastest results, but it is a way I can keep going for an extended period of time without losing my mind. It will contribute on making my general food habits more healthy.

A friend of mine also joined in, so we are doing it together now. This will aid us both as we can support each other Smile

I must say eating less sugar and carbs does have a positive effect on my energy levels Smile

Still quite a bit of Kg's to go, but i'm confident I will hit the 83kg mark within a month or 2.

Cheers,

Buzzy

My journal: http://pherotruth.com/Thread-And-so-it-begins
New to pheromones? =>>> http://pherotruth.com/Thread-The-equation

My bag of goodies:
Alpha Dream: Alpha Mascio, Certo, Corporativo, Glace
Pheroxs: Ascend, Cohesion, Evolve, Blizz, Flirt, Connections, Vibe, Domination
Hax: Wingman black label, 9+0, Wingman element 7, Wingman element 9, Wingman C4 oil, Wingman 512 oil, Wingman X22 oil
New Hax: Pherocide, Holy grail, Element x, Alien, Black ops, Ladykiller
Love Scent: New Pheromone Additive, Alpha 7, Impi red dot
Other: Scent of Eros, Erox,
04-11-2013 3:29 AM

Buzzy78
Serious Poster

Rep Post

Thanks received:
794 thanks in 355 posts

04-15-2013 4:23 PM

A little update:

I've gotten quite used to not eating many fatty foods, sugars and carbs. I still eat small amounts of carbs every now and then (mostly bread and sometimes rice or potatoes), but never in the evening. I've been using subs and I do feel they help me to keep a positive mindset, keep aiming at my goal of losing weight and resisting temptations.

I've been using the following subs 4-5 times a week at night (silent ones):

Real subliminal - Lose weight permanently
Real subliminal - implement-healthy-eating
Real subliminal - diet-lose-weight

I'm now going to switch them up with the following subs every now and then:

Real subliminal - metabolism-boost
Real subliminal - exercise-motivation

So it's going quite well and I weighed in at 89 flat this morning Big Grin

Cheers,

Buzzy

My bag of goodies:
Hax: Wingman black label, 9+0, Wingman element 7, Wingman element 9, Wingman C4 oil, Wingman 512 oil, Wingman X22 oil
04-15-2013 4:23 PM
Thanks given by paradigmshift
Jamie
Getting comfortable

Sex:

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks received:
7 thanks in 6 posts

04-23-2013 6:10 AM

I was just wondering why you still take in Diet Soda or Coffee... I am not an expert but I think that has some kind of ill effect when you're up for your health's betterment.

(03-26-2013 7:27 AM)Buzzy78 Wrote:  Because of this i often resolve to whats fast and easy. Also at work i often go out and buy a meal. (mostly greasy/processed foods) I also have a tendancy to eat too much. Often after a meal i feel so tired i could sleep (and often do). I drink diet soda and coffee with diet sugar. Buzzy

Relationship Booster
04-23-2013 6:10 AM
paradigmshift
Reading is fundamental

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 2401
Thanks received:
1090 thanks in 492 posts

04-23-2013 6:59 AM

Straight coffee is still good for you and can help with weight loss.

5 drops npa will be my standard answer if I dont think you read anything.
Try reading this link
Thundr CORE paypal link

Good a1 link
Could this be you?
04-23-2013 6:59 AM
Buzzy78
Serious Poster

Rep Post

Thanks received:
794 thanks in 355 posts

04-24-2013 1:51 AM

Quote:I was just wondering why you still take in Diet Soda or Coffee... I am not an expert but I think that has some kind of ill effect when you're up for your health's betterment.

Well nowadays I only drink water when I'm at home. The coffee and diet soda i keep for work.

Quote:I was at 91kg when i started out.
4 days later i was at 90.4 kg.
I gained a little between 4-6 days at 90.6
Today, 11 days after starting I got on the scale and it read 89.8kg. (nice!)

Btw a little weight update.. it's morning here, just woke up, went to toilet and on the scale after that.. 87.5 kg Big Grin So that's 3.5 kg lost in 24 days!

Cheers,

Buzzy

My bag of goodies:
04-24-2013 1:51 AM

Kahotep
Censored By PheroTruth.

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 162
Thanks received:
116 thanks in 79 posts

04-24-2013 3:28 AM

I'm not a diet expert. Yet I've always seen to maintain a athletic frame. I'm 5'11" @ 172. All I want to say is fuck diet soda , diet sugar an anything diet on it.. That shit is killing you slowly. I for one love soccer and love running. I do something everyday even if it means push-ups at home. I do sit-ups everyday. Some people will tell you I take a rest day... I say don't be lazy, do something everyday even if its a jumping jack. I hope your making great progress with everyone else's tips. Peace as blessings.

The truth is stranger than fiction... It's best to ascertain a reasoning for yourself than to rely on another persons judgement
04-24-2013 3:28 AM
Thanks given by Buzzy78

Share This Thread

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Vitamin K for heart health... and weight loss? wiserd 2 1,409 03-11-2013 12:39 AM
Last Post: Jamie
  height and weight Addisonn 10 4,330 09-07-2012 2:24 PM
Last Post: AliceAndrews