Hello There, Guest! Register

1 user browsing this thread: (0 members, and 1 guest).

How to quit smokin?
Q-Tips
Serious Poster

Sex: Male

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 863
Thanks received:
816 thanks in 287 posts

How to quit smokin?
10-05-2012 3:11 PM

I'm trying to quit. Does anyone have any advice or tips?
Actually i dont smoke but use snus. A Swedish tobacco you put under your lips. As far i know, its only possible to buy in Sweden, Norway and USA. So i am thinking if i could just take a vacation to some foreign country for a while.

This was first day without snus. Or what would i took one this morning before i decided it enough now. I am so sick and tired to have the nicotine getting control over my life. So many times i plan my daily life on when i can have snus.
At this moment i have been without snus for 12 hours. I am in a shitty mood and have a slightly pain in my head. Toughts about getting a snus under my lips pops constantly, so i have to be strong and think about how discoustng snus actually are. I am just so affraid i will break and get one.
So if anyone have tips that would help me quit, i would be hear from you.
10-05-2012 3:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Shelly B
Serious Poster

Sex: Female

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 1034
Thanks received:
1635 thanks in 649 posts

RE: How to quit smokin?
10-05-2012 3:35 PM

I think the LiveStrong site collected a bunch of good tips on quitting smoking. My GF pulls them out - if she makes a solid run at a quit - she uses them. If she makes a half a$$ run she doesn't. :-). If I remember correctly there are a list of vitamins and supplements they recommend as helping with the cravings as your body comes off the first couple weeks...

And I think there is some syndrome associated with the first part of not smoking too - let me see what I can dig up.

My Best,
Shelly B
10-05-2012 3:35 PM
Thanks given by Q-Tips
Shelly B
Serious Poster

Rep Post

Thanks received:
1635 thanks in 649 posts

10-05-2012 3:42 PM

My Best,
Shelly B
10-05-2012 3:42 PM
Thanks given by Q-Tips
fluffygirl12
Contributes Regularly

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 396
Thanks received:
411 thanks in 219 posts

10-05-2012 6:33 PM

I used to smoke for 10 years and tried to quit several times. I finally made it by combining listening to quit smoking hypnosis downloads every night before and while I was sleeping , and also found a website - I don't remember which one cause its 9 years ago , that had photographs , blogs and postings of people that were dying of lung cancer . Very sad , scary and heavy to watch .It showed some of them progressively reporting from being vibrant people to bedridden emaciated cancer victims during their last days in hospitals. So basically a combination of hypnosis , and scaring myself to death over what could be happening inside my body did it for me. A little trick I used was carrying around a couple of plain drinking straws cut to cigarette size. I would use them to keep my mouth and hands busy for the first few days , after 4-5 days I was DONE.
Good Luck to you , its a big step !

Cheers Smile
10-05-2012 6:33 PM
Thanks given by majesty, Q-Tips
astadt
Contributes Regularly

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 57
Thanks received:
123 thanks in 43 posts

10-05-2012 7:58 PM

The Small lozenges (theres bigger ones and smaller ones, I rec the smaller ones) are fantastic as far as nicotine replacement goes. You just tuck one into your cheek and whenever you get a craving, even a small one, you just swipe you tongue across it and thats enough to get it to go away. Theres 4mg and 1.5 mg ones. Ive used both and unless your a heavy smoker, stick to the 1.5 mg ones and they should be effective for you. Eventually you get to the point where you forget to put one in or it runs out...and you realize you dont really need it as much as you had before.
10-05-2012 7:58 PM
Thanks given by Q-Tips

Lainy
Getting comfortable

Sex:

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 11
Thanks received:
35 thanks in 16 posts

10-06-2012 2:13 AM

Hi,
I stop smoking 2 years ago with nicotine replacement (initially the nicotine nasal spray and then the inhalator). Quiting nicotine is tough but with nicotine replacement and will power you can do it! When I was quitting I had lots of withdrawal symptoms i.e. poor concentration, fatigue, insomina etc. The important thing is to hang on in there and things will improve however sometimes you might not think that. Remember that you are doing a very positive thing for yourself!!!
Since qutting I've been asked if I have had botox...seriously because I look younger...lol. I did put on a bit of weight which I've since lost by attending the gym and doing a wee bit of swimming. It is so worth it.
Much love and best wishes
Lainy
10-06-2012 2:13 AM
Thanks given by Q-Tips
halo0073

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 1632
Thanks received:
3375 thanks in 1535 posts

10-06-2012 6:57 AM

I quit using Chantix. Has some side effects but it was worth it to me.
10-06-2012 6:57 AM
Thanks given by Q-Tips
Q-Tips
Serious Poster

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 863
Thanks received:
816 thanks in 287 posts

10-06-2012 12:01 PM

Something weird happened when i made this thread. I wrote it on my phone and realized i hade a huge bunch of typing error. So i edited my post to correct it. A little while later the old un-edited thread suddently pops up as a totaly new thread.

Anyway, thanks all for your advice. I will look in to it all and see what can be of any help. Anyone tried the Quit smoking subliminals?
I think to stop smoking will go ok. However, right now my brain is screaming out : "GIVE ME NICOTINE YOU MOTHERF..."
I heard that is totally normal for the first 4-5 days. After that my brain probably will chance its strategy to "You done good. You deserve a reward. Just take one. It wouldnt hurt with just one". Well, i'm to weak for taking just one. So any such toughts have to be shuffled away. And if i break, i'll have to start over and try again and agin until i make it.
10-06-2012 12:01 PM
Shelly B
Serious Poster

Rep Post

Thanks received:
1635 thanks in 649 posts

10-06-2012 1:59 PM

Steve G Jones has a line of stop smoking mp3's - that uses bunch of cutting edge hypno tools...

My Best,
Shelly B
10-06-2012 1:59 PM

Unregistered

Thanks Given:
Thanks received:
thanks in 44 posts

10-22-2012 3:58 AM

Difficult but no impossible.Make strong determination to quiet it.Have balance diet that contains all nutrition.Specially fresh fruits and green leafy vegetables are effective for health.Do exercise on daily basis.Stay busy,depression is major cause of smoking.Yoga is also so effective for relieving stress.
10-22-2012 3:58 AM
Quote this message in a reply

Share This Thread

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Anyone want to quit smoking? mark-in-dallas 7 2,694 03-07-2013 8:53 AM
Last Post: extraballislit
  How to quit smoking? Q-Tips 12 4,003 11-20-2012 2:20 PM
Last Post: Q-Tips