Hello There, Guest! Register

1 user browsing this thread: (0 members, and 1 guest).

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Freebies for PheroTruth Members
wiserd
I'm so meta, even this acronym

Sex: Male

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 1629
Thanks received:
1434 thanks in 735 posts

RE: Freebies for PheroTruth Members
04-11-2012 2:07 PM

(04-11-2012 1:21 PM)halo0073 Wrote:  Wait...are you heating the fragrance oil? Heat will ruin a fragrance. Rancid fragrance oil is not so great.

I was heating a scent/alcohol solution in a water bath. I don't know if you'd get hydrolytic rancidity, but I don't see how you'd get oxidative rancidity. Which were you referring to?

It was apparently not hot enough to blow the cork off the test tube.

I'm not sure about the heat tolerance of the fragrance, though but this particular one doesn't seem to have broken down. I'm not sure where other fragrances would cook at.

[Image: Example.jpg]
04-11-2012 2:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Grape Ape
Contributes Regularly

Sex:

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 1
Thanks received:
56 thanks in 32 posts

04-11-2012 2:34 PM

Instead of taking the 2 trials at a $10 value, could we possibly get $10 off custon pheromone/scent mixes or catch em at regular price. I'd love some SS4M in Thunder. The Super for Men got me the "you stink like syrup" and I still catch ish for it. However the Phero mix is wonderfull, and thunder is "woop Woop!"
04-11-2012 2:34 PM
halo0073

Sex: Female

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 1632
Thanks received:
3372 thanks in 1534 posts

04-11-2012 2:43 PM

(04-11-2012 2:07 PM)wiserd Wrote:  I was heating a scent/alcohol solution in a water bath. I don't know if you'd get hydrolytic rancidity, but I don't see how you'd get oxidative rancidity. Which were you referring to?

It was apparently not hot enough to blow the cork off the test tube.

I'm not sure about the heat tolerance of the fragrance, though but this particular one doesn't seem to have broken down. I'm not sure where other fragrances would cook at.

Hell if I know which. LOL. I just know if I don't keep my fragrances cool they can turn. Like I have left stuff in the car accidentally and it was ruined forever. It was probably in the 80s outside but no clue how hot it got in the car. Even commercial perfumes in alcohol left in a sunny spot on a dresser can turn. I have had that happen too. You chem guys are light years ahead of me in this stuff. It was just a thought. I can smell rancid perfumes a mile away.
04-11-2012 2:43 PM

wiserd

Rep Post

Thanks received:
1434 thanks in 735 posts

04-11-2012 11:50 PM

(04-11-2012 2:43 PM)halo0073 Wrote:  Hell if I know which. LOL. I just know if I don't keep my fragrances cool they can turn. Like I have left stuff in the car accidentally and it was ruined forever. It was probably in the 80s outside but no clue how hot it got in the car. Even commercial perfumes in alcohol left in a sunny spot on a dresser can turn. I have had that happen too. You chem guys are light years ahead of me in this stuff. It was just a thought. I can smell rancid perfumes a mile away.

Good to know, Halo, and thanks so much for the benefit of your experience. Going forward, I'll try heating the surfactant solution first and adding the target scent later as the dissolving solution cools or has cooled. And I usually try and make a decent effort to keep things cool in storage. Though I have kept things in my pockets for a few days before they're used up. I don't know if my body heat will ruin them in that time frame. That would be useful information.

Sunlight could be light or heat causing the problem. Hard to tell.

I have a good few ounces of the Camden Grey scents, so there's room to experiment with a drop or two to see how it plays. I just got some stuff from the fragrance shop which is generally held to be high quality. Camden Grey's Chocolate is on par by comparison. I guess I'm just really picky with scents.

04-11-2012 11:50 PM
halo0073

Rep Post

Thanks received:

04-12-2012 6:29 AM

Doh I didn't think about sunlight, that could be the culprit. Although actually i have had perfumes inside of maskeup bags that have been ruined in the car so I think that was heat.
04-12-2012 6:29 AM
Mara ~ Love Potion
Vendor

Thanks Given: 41
Thanks received:
238 thanks in 65 posts

04-12-2012 11:56 AM

Heat and light are the worst enemies of perfumes AND pheromones. When we are forced to heat something, we do it in water like you did, but always with an open top. We heat the base material and then add the fragrance or Pheromones LAST because they both will dissipate in heat. Storing in a cool dry place but not a refrigerator is best. A drawer or in a box under your bed for long term storage works great. Lots of people ruin commercial perfumes by keeping them in the bathroom where they are exposed to too much steam heat from their showers.

@ Grape Ape: We have two different programs and we don't mix them up. The first is for forum members here and our own forum, where you can choose two free sample vials, a $10 value, with any order over $25, once per month. With these freebies, we hope to expand your horizons and give you the opportunity to try more of our products, and hopefully review them, good or bad, so you can help others makes decisions about what they want to try.

The other program is for members of the LP forum only. When you get to 200 posts, you get a $5 credit. At every 100 posts after that, you get another $5 credit. You can spend these credits any way you wish, and trust me, they really do add up quickly even if you are only moderately active. As a member of our forum, you are eligible for BOTH of these freebie programs at once.

So I'm sorry to say, no, I can't swap the two freebies for a $10 credit because it wouldn't be fair to those who follow the programs and put in the time and effort to post reviews and help provide content for our community. Thanks for your understanding.
04-12-2012 11:56 AM
wiserd

Rep Post

Thanks received:
1434 thanks in 735 posts

04-12-2012 12:19 PM

(04-12-2012 6:29 AM)halo0073 Wrote:  Doh I didn't think about sunlight, that could be the culprit. Although actually i have had perfumes inside of maskeup bags that have been ruined in the car so I think that was heat.

Which fragrances, if I could ask? I agree that some chemicals / mones will be ruined by heat alone. I'm trying to figure out the tolerances for various molecules. DHEAS seems to have been the first to go when Chris headed a batch of Glace a while back. The sulfur group broke loose.

Mara's saying shower heat is enough... which suggests body heat might also be a problem? Maybe I should only carry what I plan to use...

04-12-2012 12:19 PM

Mara ~ Love Potion
Vendor

Thanks Given: 41
Thanks received:
238 thanks in 65 posts

04-12-2012 2:12 PM

(04-12-2012 12:19 PM)wiserd Wrote:  Mara's saying shower heat is enough... which suggests body heat might also be a problem?

No, not all. Body heat is required/helpful for diffusion. The issue with leaving them in bathrooms is...some people will leave them on an open high shelf for decorative purposes, where all the heat and steam rises. There might also be the addition of sunlight or artificial light they are exposed to all the time. That leads to degradation and evaporation if your products are in an alcohol base.

Don't worry about your body heat ruining it...think of it more that the shower heat is using up the efficacy that your body heat would normally have the benefit of.

ETA: To be clear, what I am talking about here is lessening the effective lifespan of a product from say a normal 6 years, down to 2 years. Normal light and heat exposure just eat away at everything a little bit at a time. You can lengthen the life and effectiveness of your products if you store them properly. Dark and cool = many years of enjoyment. Heat, light, humidity...you're degrading your product and might find that after 2 years it's not effective or smells rancid.

Separate issue is actually experimenting with them and cooking the things. You can ruin them in a heartbeat like that.
(This post was last modified: 04-12-2012 2:18 PM by Mara ~ Love Potion.)
04-12-2012 2:12 PM
Thanks given by halo0073, AlternativeGirl
halo0073

Rep Post

Thanks received:

03-29-2013 3:59 PM

Mara and I were talking and I thought I would share with you guys. She is close to discontinuing the freebies for forum members program. The deal is to get the two free samples per month, you have to review the samples you receive. She would like them reviewed in review threads, not journals. She doesn't feel like very many people are honoring their end in this. So if you are receiving free samples, please review them or else this great perk will end. Thanks.
03-29-2013 3:59 PM
Thanks given by wiserd, NuTrix, AlternativeGirl
LL21
Serious Poster

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 893
Thanks received:
1094 thanks in 451 posts

04-07-2013 1:31 PM

Wow, its only fair. I posted a review of a forum freebie I received before I read this post. I would never ask a vendor to do something that would have them lose money. Mara knows her business and she should do what's best for the business.

Fear is the greatest obstacle to learning but fear is your best friend. Fear is like fire, if you learn to control it, you let it work for you: it can warm you in the winter, give you light when you are in the dark, and produce energy. If you don’t control it, it’ll destroy you and everything around you.You must understand Fear so you can manipulate it, because if you don’t you won’t be able to achieve your objective or save your life. - Cus D'Amato (The trainer that made Mike Tyson a Champion)
04-07-2013 1:31 PM

Share This Thread