Hello There, Guest! Register

1 user browsing this thread: (0 members, and 1 guest).

The One Book That Changed Your Life
fueroman3
Getting comfortable

Sex:

Rep Post

The One Book That Changed Your Life
09-27-2019 7:05 PM

Let's do a 1 book that changed your life thread. You can do 3.

Mine would be: The Sedona Method (Dwoskin), The Inside Out Revolution (Neill), and any book by Jiddu Krishnamurti
09-27-2019 7:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Stories
Telling it how it is.

Sex: Male

Rep Post

RE: The One Book That Changed Your Life
09-27-2019 10:23 PM

The Road

or

If you Come Softly

or

History textbooks
09-27-2019 10:23 PM
Gladen
Pied Piper of Pickup

Rep Post

09-28-2019 7:36 AM

Dune by Frank Herbert.

This may sound odd, or even shallow, but the actual text is rife with deep spiritual philosophy, permeated with a keen understanding of human nature and psychology, and is a perfect treatise on tutoring one of deep-rooted motivations, as well as allowing one to ponder that there is always much more going than meets the eye...plans within plans, within plans. I learned more about human nature and behavior from this than from an entire bought of college psych courses.

Isn't Life Actually the Kobayashi Maru? Click to Read My Journal: Gladen's Grimoire
09-28-2019 7:36 AM
Snoopyace
The Love God

Rep Post

09-28-2019 9:34 AM

(09-28-2019 7:36 AM)Gladen Wrote:  Dune by Frank Herbert.

This may sound odd, or even shallow, but the actual text is rife with deep spiritual philosophy, permeated with a keen understanding of human nature and psychology, and is a perfect treatise on tutoring one of deep-rooted motivations, as well as allowing one to ponder that there is always much more going than meets the eye...plans within plans, within plans. I learned more about human nature and behavior from this than from an entire bought of college psych courses.

Damn. You stole my answer. Okay, going with an unusual choice then. I'd found this at a used book store as a kid. It was oddly comforting to know that I was as weird as I thought I was but that I wasn't the only one. The synopsis is from Amazon.

Genuine Mediumship or The Invisible Powers, was written by William Walker Atkinson under one of his many pseudonyms; in this case as Swami Bhaka Vishita, Hindu Master and Seer. Atkinson authored many books on clairvoyance, thought transference, telepathy, and the "other planes." Genuine Mediumship instructs its readers of the Supernatural forces in the earth and each persons' mental vibrations and capacities. He describes how to develop the ability to be a medium and what it means. Anyone seeking to learn of higher spiritual planes will find Vishita's book an enjoyable and educational read. Swami Bhaka Vishita is one of three Hindu aliases and pen names of American writer William Walker Atkinson (1862-1932), editor of the popular magazine New Thought from 1901 to 1905, and editor of the journal Advanced Thought from 1916 to 1919. He authored dozens of New Thought books under numerous pseudonyms, including "Yogi," some of which are likely still unknown today.

“Funny guys are dangerous. They’ll make you laugh, and laugh, and laugh then boom, you are naked.”

“Charm is the way of getting the answer yes without having asked any clearly defined question” - Oscar Wilde
09-28-2019 9:34 AM

dsouza

Rep Post

09-28-2019 12:12 PM

The hobbit

Or

To kill a mockingbird

Or

Brave new world

Dsouza

My Journal:
http://pherotruth.com/Thread-Dsouza-s-Jo...-Seduction

My Youtube Channel:
09-28-2019 12:12 PM
Snoopyace
The Love God

Rep Post

09-28-2019 12:17 PM

(09-28-2019 12:12 PM)dsouza Wrote:  Brave new world

Excellent choice and in a similar vein, Fahrenheit 451. I read it as a kid and it freaked me out. Freaks me out even more today when I look at the fact that in a lot of ways, we are just about there. Right down to a lot of the technological advances that have occured. Seashell radios? Bluetooth. Wall sized televisions? Check. The list goes on.

“Funny guys are dangerous. They’ll make you laugh, and laugh, and laugh then boom, you are naked.”

“Charm is the way of getting the answer yes without having asked any clearly defined question” - Oscar Wilde
09-28-2019 12:17 PM
RussianWolf

Rep Post

09-28-2019 12:58 PM

The Prophet - Kahlil Gilbran

"You talk when you cease to be at peace with your thoughts."
"Tenderness and kindness are not signs of weakness and despair, but manifestations of strength and resolutions"
The optimist sees the rose and not its thorns; the pessimist stares at the thorns, oblivious of the rose.

The Alchemist - Paulo Coelho

“People want to change everything and, at the same time want it all to remain the same.”
“If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine. It is lethal.”
“When I had nothing to lose, I had everything. When I stopped being who I am, I found myself.”
"Be Brave. Take Risks. Nothing can substitute experience."

A new earth - Eckhart Tolle

"True creativity flows only from stillness. When stillness becomes conscious, the spiritual dimension enters your life and you begin to be guided by an intelligence far greater than the human mind."

"The most common ego identifications have to do with possessions, the work you do, social status and recognition, knowledge and education, physical appearance, special abilities, relationships, person and family history, belief systems, and often nationalistic, racial, religious, and other collective identifications. None of these is you."

"Words reduce reality to something the human mind can grasp, which isn’t very much. Language consists of five basic sounds produced by the vocal cords. They are the vowels a, e, i, o, u. The other sounds are consonants produced by air pressure: s, f, g, and so forth. Do you believe some combination of such basic sounds could ever explain who you are, or the ultimate purpose of the universe, or even what a tree or stone is in its depth?"

Hold onto your beliefs loosely, and hold onto your truths tightly.
(This post was last modified: 09-28-2019 1:38 PM by RussianWolf.)
09-28-2019 12:58 PM
fueroman3
Getting comfortable

Sex:

Rep Post

09-28-2019 2:02 PM

(09-28-2019 9:34 AM)Snoopyace Wrote:  Damn. You stole my answer. Okay, going with an unusual choice then. I'd found this at a used book store as a kid. It was oddly comforting to know that I was as weird as I thought I was but that I wasn't the only one. The synopsis is from Amazon.

Genuine Mediumship or The Invisible Powers, was written by William Walker Atkinson under one of his many pseudonyms; in this case as Swami Bhaka Vishita, Hindu Master and Seer. Atkinson authored many books on clairvoyance, thought transference, telepathy, and the "other planes." Genuine Mediumship instructs its readers of the Supernatural forces in the earth and each persons' mental vibrations and capacities. He describes how to develop the ability to be a medium and what it means. Anyone seeking to learn of higher spiritual planes will find Vishita's book an enjoyable and educational read. Swami Bhaka Vishita is one of three Hindu aliases and pen names of American writer William Walker Atkinson (1862-1932), editor of the popular magazine New Thought from 1901 to 1905, and editor of the journal Advanced Thought from 1916 to 1919. He authored dozens of New Thought books under numerous pseudonyms, including "Yogi," some of which are likely still unknown today.

I've read a few of William Walker Atkinson's books. They're great. I just bought the whole collection on Kindle for like 99 cents. I probably will never go through all of his books but I have enjoyed the handful that I've read.
09-28-2019 2:02 PM

Stories
Telling it how it is.

Rep Post

09-28-2019 3:37 PM

(09-28-2019 12:58 PM)RussianWolf Wrote:  The Alchemist - Paulo Coelho

“People want to change everything and, at the same time want it all to remain the same.”
“If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine. It is lethal.”
“When I had nothing to lose, I had everything. When I stopped being who I am, I found myself.”
"Be Brave. Take Risks. Nothing can substitute experience."

Please if anyone has not read this book, do so! I'll even buy you the book, okay not really but I feel that way. That's how incredible that book's story is. Oh gawd. Reading your's and everyone answer reminded me of one more book:

“In some ways suffering ceases to be suffering at the moment it finds a meaning, such as the meaning of a sacrifice.”

“No man should judge unless he asks himself in absolute honesty whether in a similar situation he might not have done the same.”

“But there was no need to be ashamed of tears, for tears bore witness that a man had the greatest of courage, the courage to suffer.”

“Ultimately, man should not ask what the meaning of his life is, but rather must recognize that it is he who is asked. In a word, each man is questioned by life; and he can only answer to life by answering for his own life; to life he can only respond by being responsible.”

“A man who becomes conscious of the responsibility he bears toward a human being who affectionately waits for him, or to an unfinished work, will never be able to throw away his life. He knows the "why" for his existence, and will be able to bear almost any "how".”

These quotes all come from the book written by Viktor Frankl, who lived through various nazi concentration camp during WWII and his experiences there led to the creation of his book. The book name is: A Man's Search for Meaning.
09-28-2019 3:37 PM
RussianWolf

Rep Post

09-28-2019 5:53 PM

Stories, thanks for the heads up, sounds like a great read

Hold onto your beliefs loosely, and hold onto your truths tightly.
09-28-2019 5:53 PM

Share This Thread

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Life hacks… life's little cheat codes. SuperJoy 91 55,501 07-01-2016 9:23 AM
Last Post: SuperJoy