Hello There, Guest! Register

1 user browsing this thread: (0 members, and 1 guest).

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 3.67 Average
New Thread Junkies
dp310
Contributes Regularly

Sex:

Rep Post

RE: New Thread Junkies
06-05-2013 5:17 AM

(06-04-2013 5:25 PM)mark-in-dallas Wrote:  You know, all this post did was piss me off!
Sorry if the post hurt your feelings, I apologize, that wasn't my intention. I feel that perhaps I didn't communicate the context I was making my points in, well enough.

These points were made in the context of how to prevent new threads from occurring. My contention is that newbie's post many new unnecessary threads, due to information being hard to find.

Quote:1. There are a number of noob friendly guides and if you feel something wasn't covered, take the damn time to add it!
I am new, if I can't find something, I can't add it to a guide, because I don't have that information.

Quote:2. Stickied threads are fine, but if there's more than a few per forum I just get irritated at having to scroll through them to get to the new posts. Make a stickie for every product a company offers and you'd end up having to set the threads per page to 50 to get to new posts in some forums.
I would actually prefer it, if ONLY stickied threads were allowed in the vendors product review section. Everything else could go in the Everything else section. I like how HAX product reviews section has a sticky for every beta test. This is very easy to read and parse.

Quote:3. The wiki: Then fucking add to it! Is it not the entire intent of a wiki for content to be developed and edited by the users? Oh I forgot, some of you want everything fucking spoon fed to you and can't be bothered to do anything on your own.
Again, as a new user, I can't add information I don't have.

Quote:4. How is not wanting a ton of duplicate content on the forum a conflict of interest?
1. When I first logged into the forum, I posted in the new user introductions. I immediately started receiving PM's. Being polite, I tried to reply. Nope. Need a minimum of five posts to do that. In my opinion, this encourages even well behaved people to make worthless posts.

2. I see nothing about "not wanting duplicate content" in the Member Posting Policy. By my reading, it is not discouraged -
Quote:PheroTruth is an open and uncensored forum, where members are free to discuss and report on anything they want, as long as its legal and doesn't hurt or offend anybody.

We will never censor a post for content, spelling or grammar, and we will never delete a post for mentioning a legitimate product or seeking information on a product.
New users posting threads, are 100% compliant with the forums stated rules. It seems unfair to be angry at them for not knowing and following the unwritten rules that many of the senior members seem to have.

Quote:5. The forum feels uncared for: That one really pissed me off! Broken sub-forums? Point one out, and if you point to the Merry-Go-Round I'm going to laugh at your inability to comprehend the intent and pun in the name.

From the first sentence, of the first post in this thread -
Quote:For some reason it won't let me access the suggestions page so this topic is going here.

Please note, I said "feels" uncared for. I wasn't implying that anyone was being lazy, or that I am unappreciative of the resources that the forum offers.

However, due to the clutter, and the excess amount of plugins, that is my genuine perception. The plugins in particular, really bother me. Each additional plugin is a potential attack vector. Considering the sensitive nature of what some members post, I'm inclined to believe they would prefer security over features.

Again, this is just my honest opinion. Being new, there very well could be something I have missed, or don't understand. I am making these points with the sincere intention of making the forum better for everybody, new and senior, so I hope it is not interpreted as a personal attack.
06-05-2013 5:17 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mark-in-dallas
Administrator

Sex: Male

06-05-2013 9:58 AM

(06-05-2013 5:17 AM)dp310 Wrote:  Sorry if the post hurt your feelings, I apologize, that wasn't my intention. I feel that perhaps I didn't communicate the context I was making my points in, well enough.

Thank you! But, it was not that my feelings were hurt, I was offended.

(06-05-2013 5:17 AM)dp310 Wrote:  I am new, if I can't find something, I can't add it to a guide, because I don't have that information. [quote]

That's true, but all of us were new at one time, and if there's information that's still not available that means that nobody has ever taken the time to add it.

[QUOTE='dp310' pid='91565' dateline='1370427429']
1. When I first logged into the forum, I posted in the new user introductions. I immediately started receiving PM's. Being polite, I tried to reply. Nope. Need a minimum of five posts to do that. In my opinion, this encourages even well behaved people to make worthless posts.

The alternative is to go back to allowing new members (read spammers) use and abuse the PM system and spam members by PM, which did happen and is a lot harder to catch early.

(06-05-2013 5:17 AM)dp310 Wrote:  New users posting threads, are 100% compliant with the forums stated rules. It seems unfair to be angry at them for not knowing and following the unwritten rules that many of the senior members seem to have.

That is true, and while duplicate threads about products don't bother me as much as they do some members, a request to avoid posting multiple threads on subjects or products already covered shoould and will be added to the "Member Posting Policy."

[QUOTE]
For some reason it won't let me access the suggestions page so this topic is going here.

This was due to an error in the permissions settings and corrected shortly after the thread was posted.

(06-05-2013 5:17 AM)dp310 Wrote:  Please note, I said "feels" uncared for. I wasn't implying that anyone was being lazy, or that I am unappreciative of the resources that the forum offers.

Realistically, you've been a member for 2 weeks and stepped in suggesting that the forum "feels" uncared for, how am I not to be offended? If I came into you home and said " the place feels uncared for", would you not take offense?

(06-05-2013 5:17 AM)dp310 Wrote:  However, due to the clutter, and the excess amount of plugins, that is my genuine perception. The plugins in particular, really bother me. Each additional plugin is a potential attack vector. Considering the sensitive nature of what some members post, I'm inclined to believe they would prefer security over features.

And what would you do away with? reputations, thank you's, usergroup promotions, video embedder, board statistics, anti spam, Google translator, poke me, redirect counter, tapatalk.

Yes, we have a number of plugins, but none go unused and all are appreciated by at least some members. As to potential vectors for attack, every incoming I.P. and every line of code in the scripting is a potential source of attack.

Nobody changes until the pain of staying the same becomes greater than the pain of change....
06-05-2013 9:58 AM
dp310
Contributes Regularly

Sex:

Rep Post

06-06-2013 9:34 AM

(06-05-2013 9:58 AM)mark-in-dallas Wrote:  Realistically, you've been a member for 2 weeks and stepped in suggesting that the forum "feels" uncared for, how am I not to be offended? If I came into you home and said " the place feels uncared for", would you not take offense?
I think a better analogy would be if you came into my public business( or clubhouse ), and put a note in the suggestion box saying that you felt it was uncared for. At worst, it might sting a bit, but no, I wouldn't be offended.

Quote:And what would you do away with? reputations, thank you's, usergroup promotions, video embedder, board statistics, anti spam, Google translator, poke me, redirect counter, tapatalk.
I would do away with any plugin that had a public exploit listed in any of the public exploit databases. I'd also make a judgement call about plugins that had a history of exploits being published.
06-06-2013 9:34 AM
KIMBA
Perputual Noob

Sex: Often Please

Rep Post

06-06-2013 10:42 AM

Due to this forums history, and its nature of being free and unbiased, some suggestions/attacks make my head spin. What do people want? Their cake and to eat it too?

90% of my posts are from my phone on the fly.
06-06-2013 10:42 AM

BOiNG
Come closer...

Rep Post

06-11-2013 4:49 AM

Well I have only just read this thread today after creating my very own Ascend review thread yesterday Secret so unintentionally I have become one of the said annoying thread junkies.

Now I can see the reasoning behind all of this I have chosen not to continue with my review and will wait till I can get a journal to document everything in that from then on.

Drinks

On a dedicated path to Alpha-ism
(This post was last modified: 06-11-2013 4:50 AM by BOiNG.)
06-11-2013 4:49 AM
KIMBA
Perputual Noob

Sex: Often Please

Rep Post

06-11-2013 7:38 AM

Their is a thread for ascend in steves section as we as my thread on all his products. We just don't want ten of the same thread.

90% of my posts are from my phone on the fly.
06-11-2013 7:38 AM
mammoth
Getting comfortable

Rep Post

06-12-2013 9:56 AM

Not the most welcoming thread for people passing by, is it? I mean, I love this site, but it does appear to have slowed down since I last used it. And various people I liked to read [terry chief amongst them] are rarely and barely to be seen. So why suggest fewer threads? I assumed the "men" forum was for more than just phero talk and things already covered in noob threads.

I tried with my phero truth E book thread, but that went down the toilet. Any advance on a Star Wars vs. Star Trek thread, or has that already been done... shame.
06-12-2013 9:56 AM
Habin
Checking out the place

Rep Post

01-05-2017 2:54 PM

Realize this is a very old thread, but as a new user, I completely agree.
01-05-2017 2:54 PM

Share This Thread