Hello There, Guest! Register

1 user browsing this thread: (0 members, and 1 guest).

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Myer Briggs Personality Types and Pheromones
Saiyanprince
Serious Poster

Sex: Male

Rep Post

RE: Myer Briggs Personality Types and Pheromones
06-04-2018 5:43 PM

This 8s what 16 personality says about me. In real life I have 2 or 3 probably. Lol

You are “The Campaigner”.

Code: ENFP-T
Role: Diplomat
Strategy: Social Engagement
06-04-2018 5:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Blacky Chan

Rep Post

06-04-2018 7:05 PM

Hasnt that myer Brigg test been debunked by several experts in psychology?
06-04-2018 7:05 PM

Saiyanprince
Serious Poster

Rep Post

06-04-2018 7:08 PM

I dont know. I took 2 on here and I think it's different from the last one. Let me check that old post.
06-04-2018 7:08 PM
Saiyanprince
Serious Poster

Rep Post

06-04-2018 7:19 PM

: Personality and Pheromone Susceptability 
03-20-2018 11:55 AM 

Intj Imma guy though. 

Always knew I should have been a scientist or engineer. Lol my wife wanted me to go back to school for science. Should have listened.

This was mine from this test. It's different.
06-04-2018 7:19 PM
MacCauley
Serious Poster

Rep Post

06-04-2018 8:24 PM

(06-04-2018 7:05 PM)Blacky Chan Wrote:  Hasnt that myer Brigg test been debunked by several experts in psychology?

It has. Jungian archetypes are constantly debated and often deemed controversial, incomplete and based on a lack of criteria. "Experts in psychology" is also a concept often debunked by several more or less ordinary citizens.

This test is definitely not a bulletproof system. It will never be completely accurate due to a number of factors. It's not a personality test as much as a way to measure an individual's thinking patterns, processing of information and cognitive abilities. If they would just stick to that instead of including arbitrary opinions on choice of career, romantic preferences etc, it would probably be slightly more credible. 16 types and 7 billion people.

Personal opinion; they're on to something, but I also take it with a grain of salt. I identify more with INTJ than other types. What I don't like about it is that it's utterly incomplete. They've barely scratched the surface. You answer a series of multi choice questions and based on those they have absolute insight into your inner workings? It's not that simple. And they have no method of fusing or should I call it "weaving" fragments into other types by measuring and putting together a more complete analysis. Their analysis are loaded with personal opinions and speculation. They only present the dominant traits which creates unnecessary division. They have no scale of measuring traits within a single type. The thought behind it is sound, but the system is too basic.

At least it's not as bad as reading horoscopes.
06-04-2018 8:24 PM
metaltree

Rep Post

06-04-2018 10:09 PM

Watching this video makes me think I am a INFJ rather than a INFP. I can relate to a lot of what that guy on the right says.

I seriously don't think I am an INFP anymore because I'm not an activist, artist, poet, musician, or anything like that. The INFJ and INFP are completely different personalities.
(This post was last modified: 06-04-2018 11:48 PM by metaltree.)
06-04-2018 10:09 PM

Macro
Contributes Regularly

Rep Post

06-05-2018 1:08 AM

(06-04-2018 7:05 PM)Blacky Chan Wrote:  Hasnt that myer Brigg test been debunked by several experts in psychology?

No it absolutely hasn't. I'm a man of science, so if this were true I'd dump mbti immediately.

What is true is that it isn't used in academia very much. The personality profile of choice is the Big 5. The main problem with mbti is that its hard to test - people very often get the wrong result, if it's hard to measure it's hard to use in science. This is an indictment of the test not the theory or framework developed (which is mbti not the tests). Also should be said that the extensively used big 5 factors correlate with mbti.

Mbti factors = extroversion - introversion... Same as big 5 extroversion
Sensing - intuition..... Same as big 5 openness
Thinker - feeler..... Same as big 5 agreeableness
Judged - perceived..... Same as big 5 conscientiousness

You'll notice 16personalities adds an A (assertive) or T (turbulent). This is them trying to measure the 5th Big 5 factor - neuroticism.

So the two are largely the same, they measure the same factors (mbti does one less) but uses a different model. The model is what makes mbti so much more accessible and useful to the layman in everyday life.

More info here (including further legitimate criticisms of mbti):
(This post was last modified: 06-05-2018 1:42 AM by Macro.)
06-05-2018 1:08 AM
Blacky Chan

Rep Post

06-05-2018 3:44 AM

(06-05-2018 1:08 AM)Macro Wrote:  No it absolutely hasn't. I'm a man of science, so if this were true I'd dump mbti immediately.

06-05-2018 3:44 AM
MacCauley
Serious Poster

Rep Post

06-05-2018 4:13 AM

(06-04-2018 10:09 PM)metaltree Wrote:  I seriously don't think I am an INFP anymore because I'm not an activist, artist, poet, musician, or anything like that. The INFJ and INFP are completely different personalities.

That's part of why their system is incomplete. Much like identity politics it's a case of "either or". So let's say you have 51% P and 49% J that's where the problem starts. They have no way of accounting for the whole spectrum. 7 billion people and 16 personalities. Those are 16 giant lids.

Listing possible career choices is pseudo science. The questions doesn't include what you do for a living, do you like it or what you prefer. Until they can back it up with statistics like "out of 1000 who scored INFP, 72% had some form of artistic outlet" it remains speculative. Which is inherently lazy.

I think it's important to remain critical. I've experienced the same as you. There's some stuff they claim about INTJ's I really can't relate to at all. I think it's human nature to seek simplicity. The test is very convenient for the average person. But then they've zoned in on 1 out 16 texts and allow themselves to be defined by 1 out 16 types. Much like the Milgram experiment people listen to authority. They even listen to an illusion of authority.
(This post was last modified: 06-05-2018 4:17 AM by MacCauley.)
06-05-2018 4:13 AM
Macro
Contributes Regularly

Rep Post

06-05-2018 4:59 AM

You made a very specific claim. That is has been debunked (disproven) by experts. It absolutely has not. Nor has the reverse happened (it validity proven). You will find peer reviewed psychology journals using mbti. You will find peer reviewed journals finding evidence in favour of mbti. The problem is its hard to test and therefore hard to verify - which makes it a poor theory in science (good theories are falsifiable).

There are excellent reasons to be skeptical. The various criticisms in these articles are valid, the idrlabs article goes into each of them.
06-05-2018 4:59 AM

Share This Thread

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Pheromones and personality moondragon99 8 3,328 05-03-2016 5:10 AM
Last Post: kalpan56
  Which types of pheromones need a cover scent? Mr. E #2 6 3,336 02-08-2016 7:25 PM
Last Post: Mr. E #2
  Alpha / Game & Personality Types Macro 33 11,219 05-22-2014 6:47 PM
Last Post: dexter
  Pheromones created a monster. Notes on personality changes alphavitea 16 7,349 04-09-2013 3:55 PM
Last Post: dexter