Hello There, Guest! Register

1 user browsing this thread: (0 members, and 1 guest).

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
My Stank
2Soon2Care
Serious Poster

Sex: Male

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 245
Thanks received:
607 thanks in 325 posts

My Stank
09-03-2012 10:15 PM

Ok so talking with Shelly B got my dander up on needing some new scents that I've been thinking about - I read a wonderful book called "The Scent Trail" that has further led me down the rabbit hole on scents, and I have a few months of reading in my Amazon wishlist on scentology, but it is better to have something under my nose than on a page for now!

Enjoy, I've loved some of these but not all - Mambo is my total fave to date, I'm loving the Diesel Only The Brave for everyday use, the others I play with from time to time to see what mood they evoke.

So below is the sum of my olfactory adventures to date, hence, My Stank :

All descriptions and prices are lifted from one of these :

The Perfumed Court
Surrender To Chance
Scented Monkey

Just ordered (from Surrender To Chance) :

Ormonde Jayne Ormonde Man - $6.99 1/2 m"‹l - Top notes of juniper berry, bergamot, pink pepper, cardamom and coriander seeds; middle notes of oudh and black hemlock; and base notes of vetivert, cedar, sandalwood and musk. Black hemlock adds much interest to this very woodsy spicy scent. Almost all of the Ormonde Jayne scents would be classified as romantic, but this one is Romantic with a capital R. Rated a 5-star Masterpiece, it deserves all the accolades it gets.

L'Artisan Timbuktu - $4.99 1 ml - Top notes of green mango, pink pepper berries and cardamom; middle notes of karo karounde flower, smoky incense of papyrus wood; and base notes of patchouli, myrrh and vetiver. Listed as one of the Best Masculines in Perfumes The Guide, it has everything in it that smells great on a man, and that makes it romantic. Timtuktu is inspired by an ancient perfume ritual (Wusulan) practiced by the women of Mali.

Hermes Eau D'Hermes EDT - $3.00 1 ml - Notes of vanilla, sandalwood, cedar cumin, birchwood and moss. Spicy, woodsy scent.

Frederic Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire - $3.99 1 ml - Bergamot, bigarade orange, pink pepper, nutmeg, floral ozone Haitian vetyver, sandalwood, cedarwood, oak moss, myrrh, cashmeran, muske-tone and tonalide. Serious vetiver, smells amazing, no one can resist this scent.

Guerlain Habit Rouge EDT - $3.99 1 ml - Refreshing, oriental fragrance. This masculine scent possesses a blend of fresh citrus, lemon, mandarin, spices, leather and vanilla. Classic romance.

Guerlain Jicky PDT - $5.00 1 ml - Classic Guerlain scent that is unique, original and uncompromising, a scent from history that is still compelling and modern.

Clive Christian X for Men - $4.99 1/4 m"‹l - Bergamot, spices, cardamom, ginger, and juniper berry, sambac oil, jasmine hedione, pimento oil, orris, amber, vetiver oil, cedarwood, moss, cinnamon, and vanilla.

Reminiscence Noir de Reminiscence EDT - $3.00 1 ml - Sexy fresh, yet deep, men's fragrance with top notes of Calabrian bergamot, Sicilian lemon, Chinese eucalyptus, Russian coriander, Indonesian elemi and Iranian galbanum; middle notes of rose, violet, cedar, Indonesian patchouli and Marrakech woods; and base notes of Somalian incense, Spanish cistus, Somalian opoponax, Indian sandalwood, musk and bourbon vanilla.

Cartier Roadster - $3.00 1 ml - A mineral fougere, it has notes of bergamot, mint, vetiver, patchouli, cashmere wood, cistus labdanum and vanilla.

Montale Greyland - $3.99 1ml - This gorgeous men's fragrance is composed of cedarwood, sandalwood, vetiver, kayak, combined with the spicy scents of ginger and black pepper over a base of Arabian leather, musk and Tibetan rock rose.

Montale Fougeres Marine - $3.99 1ml - A harmony of ferns (lavender, geranium, patchouli and oakmoss) on a base of sea freshness and cool musk.

Maybe Order Later :

(this one sounds defs like pheromones to me!)
Serge Lutens Muscs Koublai Khan - $3.99 1/2 ml EDT - Although there is no official listing of notes for this fragrance it is a "dirty" animalistic musk with notes of cumin, musk, soft patchouli, vanilla, labdanum, rose, "ripe peach" scent and the aroma of brewed black tea. It is the animalic musk that all other musks are just pretenders to. It generates a lot of mixed opinion. The cumin on the open, if you aren't prepared for it, can smell pretty gamey, resembling more of an armpit following a three-hour rugby match. But hang on! That doesn't last that long. Once it passes, you will start getting this soft, warmed skin scent. As I said when I smelled it the first time "It is the smell of humanity. Not the idealistic or beautiful part of it only, but the real part, the well-worn place of skin and sweat and memory and emotion. I can do nothing but bury my nose in this scent and breathe in all the misery and joy of being human."

AbdesSalaam Attar (profumo.it) THE SCENTS OF THE SOUL - Grezzo (Brut d'Eleganza) - $7.99 1 ml - From an incredible line of 100% natural perfumes, this fragrance was created by the highly respected Dominique Dubrana; Composer Perfumer. From The Scents of the Soul Collection, Grezzo (Brut dÂ’Eleganza) is a dry and masculine fragrance with a base of precious woods, aromatic herbs and castoreum blended with vanilla, neroli, incense and rose.

Kinski - $3.99 1ml EDT - Kinski was created to mark the 20th anniversary of the legendary actor's death. The top notes of cassis and juniper provide a contrast to the dark notes of madness in the castoreum, smoky vetiver and dark woods. The image of Kinski portraying Count Dracula in Nosferatu The Vampyre emerges, as the heady notes of blood-red wine rises from the dusty floors of dark basement. Salty oceanic notes reveal themselves in the middle notes, inspired by Kinski's love of the sea. The animalic and woody base of the fragrance reflects Kinski's almost feral sensuality. It features notes of cassis, juniper berry, schinus molle (Peruvian pepper), castoreum, marijuana acccord, nutmeg, plum, orchid, magnolia, orange flower, rose, benzoin, vetiver, cedar, patchouly, styrax, cistus, costus (ginger), musk, moss and ambergris.

Already Have :

Creed Aventus - $3.00 1/2 ml EDT - Blackcurrant, Italian bergamot, French apple and pineapple, rose, dry birch, Moroccan jasmine, patchouli, oak moss, musk, ambergris and vanilla. Creed Aventus is inspired by the life of Emperor Napoleon, signifying success and vision, this is a much beloved Creed fragrance since its release with a very loyal following. It's a wonder scent that starts off a little fruitier than some may like, but jut wait! It dries down smoothly, not to subtleness, but to great power and projection, smoky and woody, but not in a way that will have people taking the long way around you at a gathering. Many report a lot of compliments because it does project and smells great.

Narciso Rodriguez For Him duo - $8.99 EDT 1 ml, oil 1/4 ml - EDT and musc oil. Violet leaf, musk, amber, and patchouli notes. Musc oil, which is richer and muskier. A soft, musky, sensual fragrance. Warm,
romantic, sensual.

YSL Kouros - $3.00 1ml EDT - Distinct and unforgettable and somewhat polarizing. Aromatic notes deepened with spices and the warmth of woods and musk.

YSL M7 - $3.00 1ml EDT - Classic and much-beloved fragrance for men. The notes are bergamot, rosemary, mandarine, oud wood, vetiver, amber, musk, and mandrake root.

Guerlain Vetiver - $3.00 1ml EDT - The quintessential vetiver scent, Guerlain Vetiver has been around since 1959. Notes of lemon, tobacco, vetiver, nutmeg and pepper.

Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme - $3.00 1ml EDT - Top notes of citrus, anise and jasmine; middle notes of patchouli, cedar, Indian sandalwood, Lapsang tea, cocoa beans and lavender; and base notes of hibiscus seeds and musk.

Profumum Aqua di Sale - $4.99 1/2 ml EDT - With notes of salt, myrtle, cedar, and marine algae, Profumum Acqua di Sale eau de parfum is the crisp scent of the sea.

Arabian Oud Shah Gold - Arabian Oud Shah Gold is for both men and Women and has notes of 1,000 flowers, jasmine, myrrh, white musk, cardamon, sandalwood, cedarwood. A rich and expensive perfume, we are offering this in sample sizes as small as 1/8 ml so you can experience this.

Chanel Antaeus - $3.00 1ml EDT - Lemon, lime, coriander, myrtle, clary sage, bergamot, thyme, basil, rose, jasmine, patchouli, castoreum, labdanum and oak moss. Woody chypre named after a Greek demi-god born of a god and a mortal, reflecting the two qualities - strength and human gentleness. It opens on citrus and herbs, then is warmed by the woods and incense.

Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta - $3.00 1ml EDT - Fresh, sensual and vibrant. A rich bouquet of Italian citrus, hot spices and refined floral notes that blend harmoniously with precious chords of white musk and amber

True Religion Drifter - $9.63 7.5 ml EDT - Top notes are Refreshing, spicy and juicy notes of cardamom, blackberry, pear, ginger and grapefruit; middle notes are Rosemary, juniper berries, apricot and calypsone molecule. Base notes are Guaiac wood, sandalwood, vetiver and amber. This fragrance is classified as Fruity.

Liz Claiborne Mambo for Men - $12.50 1.7 oz - Classified as a flowery fragrance. This masculine scent posesses a blend of: orange, bergamot, musk and patchouli. It is recommended for casual wear.

Diesel Only The Brave - $49.53 1.6 oz EDT - A masculine oriental scent with leather and woody accords.

Sean John Unforgivable for Men - $23.63 1.7 oz EDT - This fragrance has a blend of sparkling champagne, Italian bergamot, green mandarin, warm cashmere, Tuscan basil, clary sage, Australian sandalwood, amber, tonka bean.

I'll spray anything apparently...
09-03-2012 10:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Thanks given by Six, bored4life, shadowknight, ZB pmones, CanadianGuy45, lostlibra74, thundr, DGamer, Fly So Hi, Iceali, D_Darko, assmasterX, scorpio69, Steel

bored4life
Serious Poster

Sex: Often Please

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 2174
Thanks received:
1735 thanks in 630 posts

RE: My Stank
09-04-2012 7:02 AM

2S2C,

Thanked and repped. It definitely sounds like you know your shit when it comes to colognes, and while I do consider myself a cologne buff, I have yet a lot to learn, especially in terms of ingredients, notes, and the various finer details of colognes. I'd love to add to this thread when my samples come in, but for now we must wait.

I'd love to hear: if you had one cologne or scent that you could use for the Spring/Summer, and one for the Fall/Winter, what would they be, and why?

The Journal

Arsenal:
Alpha Dream:Glace, FB Glace Silicone, Androstadienone, LIIK v1, LIIK v2, Corporativo
Liquid Alchemy Labs: Wolf, Nude Alpha, Acqua Vitae
Love Scent: New Pheromone Additive
PheromoneXS: AscendXS, CohesionXS, EvolveXS

Samples:
Alpha Dream: FB Glace Alcohol
Liquid Alchemy Labs: Nude, Primitive, Hypnotica Social, Possess
PheromoneXS: BlissXS
09-04-2012 7:02 AM
universe
Getting comfortable

Sex:

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks received:
42 thanks in 15 posts

09-04-2012 7:34 AM

I own Jicky and Hermes. Both pretty unique scents. Jicky reminds me of black and white movies, for some reason. Hermes reminds me of camping.

I find Muscs Koublai Khan to be much more subtle than a lot of other musks. It sort of just blends in with your skin and works with the natural body chemistry. It doesn't smell like a cologne to me. Not sure who the quote was from, but "The smell of humanity" sounds about right.

"L'Artisan Timbuktu" looks interesting.
09-04-2012 7:34 AM
Shelly B
Serious Poster

Sex: Female

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 1034
Thanks received:
1633 thanks in 649 posts

09-04-2012 8:08 AM

OK - dying to hear your personal thoughts on the following since you have them both...

Narciso Rodriguez For Him duo - $8.99 EDT 1 ml, oil 1/4 ml - EDT and musc oil. Violet leaf, musk, amber, and patchouli notes. Musc oil, which is richer and muskier. A soft, musky, sensual fragrance. Warm,
romantic, sensual.

YSL Kouros - $3.00 1ml EDT - Distinct and unforgettable and somewhat polarizing. Aromatic notes deepened with spices and the warmth of woods and musk.

My Best,
Shelly B
09-04-2012 8:08 AM
Hurakan
Contributes Regularly

Sex: Often Please

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 72
Thanks received:
189 thanks in 103 posts

09-04-2012 8:15 AM

I made the mistake of buying Guerlain Habit Rogue and L'instant thru Amazon and they smell like crap. Have to be knock offs. Where do you buy yours 2soon?
09-04-2012 8:15 AM

2Soon2Care
Serious Poster

Rep Post

Thanks received:
607 thanks in 325 posts

09-04-2012 6:15 PM

Really so far the Mambo for men as consistently risen to the top as my fall/winter fave - it made me feel cozy and confident during the cool outdoor weather. As far as spring/summer I've tried so many I can't really say, maybe by the end of next summer I'll have a favorite. The Creed Aventus I really enjoyed wearing in the spring, it felt naturally complementary to smells of the earth warming and waking up and the plants gushing out their fragrances.

I wouldn't really claim to know much about them but I spend hours pouring over the categorizations of scents on sites like the ones below. Much like pherolife, scentlife is another lifelong process of learning and appreciating and I totally dig it!

(09-04-2012 7:02 AM)bored4life Wrote:  2S2C,

Thanked and repped. It definitely sounds like you know your shit when it comes to colognes, and while I do consider myself a cologne buff, I have yet a lot to learn, especially in terms of ingredients, notes, and the various finer details of colognes. I'd love to add to this thread when my samples come in, but for now we must wait.

I'd love to hear: if you had one cologne or scent that you could use for the Spring/Summer, and one for the Fall/Winter, what would they be, and why?

09-04-2012 6:15 PM
Thanks given by bored4life
2Soon2Care
Serious Poster

Rep Post

Thanks received:
607 thanks in 325 posts

09-04-2012 6:18 PM

Cool! I'm dying to try the Jicky - I read it was a personal fave of Sean Connery's "That's what your mother said, Trabec!" ahaha
Hermes I know little about but I want to smell it, I love camping so that will be fun!
Koublai Khan seems like it could really go either way on the skin, so I'll find out on my next round if it works, I'm glad you find it subtle and not overwhelming!

Ya the Timbuktu really caught my eye - the Surrender to Chance site has a couple of varying descriptions so the part about the ritual caught my attention!

(09-04-2012 7:34 AM)universe Wrote:  I own Jicky and Hermes. Both pretty unique scents. Jicky reminds me of black and white movies, for some reason. Hermes reminds me of camping.

I find Muscs Koublai Khan to be much more subtle than a lot of other musks. It sort of just blends in with your skin and works with the natural body chemistry. It doesn't smell like a cologne to me. Not sure who the quote was from, but "The smell of humanity" sounds about right.

"L'Artisan Timbuktu" looks interesting.

09-04-2012 6:18 PM
2Soon2Care
Serious Poster

Rep Post

Thanks received:
607 thanks in 325 posts

09-04-2012 6:24 PM

Kouros needs room to expand, it is deep and dark to me - I need to wear it in a non-smoky space to get a real feel for it and haven't had the chance to put it through its paces yet - rich, edgy like a buttered razor...

The Rodriguez is so complex it literally smells different to me every time I wear it! Violet of course disappears and created anosmia for the scent of violet very quickly - the core of Liz Taylor's signature perfume, so I really am dying to know if the first whiff catches and changes for the person smelling it on me. Quite a trick if that is what is happening! It really wants to go on a date in a close warm intimate place to get to know her better... I will have to oblige!

(09-04-2012 8:08 AM)Shelly B Wrote:  OK - dying to hear your personal thoughts on the following since you have them both...

romantic, sensual.

From the pefumed court and surrender to chance - there may be other great places for small decants but I haven't seen the number of recommendations that these two have garnered.

(09-04-2012 8:15 AM)Hurakan Wrote:  I made the mistake of buying Guerlain Habit Rogue and L'instant thru Amazon and they smell like crap. Have to be knock offs. Where do you buy yours 2soon?

(This post was last modified: 09-04-2012 6:27 PM by 2Soon2Care.)
09-04-2012 6:24 PM
2Soon2Care
Serious Poster

Rep Post

Thanks received:
607 thanks in 325 posts

09-04-2012 6:29 PM

Here are some compilations I made going over the scent sites a while back and cross referencing with recommendations from basenotes, etc and from pherotruth :

Excellent Sillage + Projection + Longevity
EDP better than EDT

More stars means more mentions in the Projection category, all are recommended for S+P+L

*** Creed - Aventus
*** Christian Dior - Homme Intense
*** Van Cleef & Arpels - Pour Homme
** Van Cleef & Arpels - Quorum
** Alfred Sung - Sung Homme
** Yves Saint Laurent - Body Kouros
** Chanel - Antaeus
** Guerlain - Vetiver
** Jacques Bogart - Silver Scent
** Jacques Bogart - Bogart Pour Homme
** Ted Lapidus - Lapidus pour homme
** Lolita Lempicka - Au Masculin
** Montale - Black Aoud
** Parfums de Nicolai - New Youk
** Yves Saint Laurent - M7
** Issey Miyake - L'eau D'Issey pour Homme
* Hermes - Terre D'Hermes
* Yves Saint Laurent - Kouros
* Paco Rabanne - 1 Million
* Paco Rabanne - Black XS
* Knize - Knize Ten
* Chanel - Platinum Egoiste
* Tom Ford - Black Orchid
* Tom Ford - Tobacco Vanille
* Carven - Homme
* Christian Dior - Homme
* Christian Dior - Farhenheit
* bvlgari - Black
* Prada - Amber Pour Homme
* Givenchy - Xeryus Rouge
* Jean Paul Gaultier - Fleur du Mâle
* Jean Paul Gaultier - Le Male Terrible
* Dolce & Gabbana - pour homme
* Guerlain - L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme Guerlain
* Kilian - Liaisons Dangereuses
* Hermes - Eau D'Hermes
* Joop - Joop
* Mont Blanc - Individuel
* Creed - Green Valley
* Issey Miyake - L'eau D'Issey Intense
* Jacques Bogart - One Man Show
* Jacques Bogart - Bogart Classic
* Profumi Del Forte - Tirrenico
* Acqua Di Parma - Cipresso Di Toscana
* Acqua Di Parma - Colonia Assoluta
* Heeley Parfums - Sel Marin
* Histoires de Parfums - 1740 Marquis de Sade
* Bijan - Bijan for Men
* Carlo Corinto - Carlo Corinto Classic
* Bond No.9 - Chez Bond
* Bond No.9 - Riverside Drive
* Bond No.9 - New York Oud and Signature Perfume
* Bond No.9 - Bleecker Street

Others
Azzaro - Azzaro pour Homme
Azzaro For Men - Chrome Legend
Bond No 9 - New Haarlem
Carolina Herrera - 212 Sexy Men
Caron - L'Anarchiste
Caron - Le 3` Homme de Caron
Creed - Bois Du Portugal
Creed - Green Irish Tweed
Creed - Original Vetiver
Creed - Silver Mountain Water
Diesel - Fuel for Life Homme
Dolce & Gabbana - pour Homme
Dolce & Gabbana - The One
Escada - Sunset Heat
Giorgio Armani - Aqua Di Gio
Glenn Perri - Unpredictable Desire
Guerlain - Heritage
Guerlain - Homme
Guy Laroche - Drakkar Noir
John Varvatos - John Varvatos
Salvatore Ferragamo - F
Ted Lapidus - Black Soul
Thierry Mugler - A*Men
Tom Ford - Tom Ford for Men
Van Cleef & Arpels - Kourous
Yatagan
Yves Saint Laurent - M7 Fresh
L'eau D'issey - pour homme Intense
Lalique Lalique - Pour Homme

Sillage + Projection + Longevity

from PheroTruth members - number times recommended in (parenthesis)

Colognes for Men
(3x) Calvin Klein - Euphoria -
(3x) Christian Audiger - Ed Hardy's Love And Luck - Fun, rich and fruity (yet masculine), daytime, very playful, get many compliments, commonly used

(3x) sean john - unforgivable - citrus fragrance, awesome, good projection, runs a close second to Euphoria
(2x) Juicy Couture - Dirty English - deep cedar/woody smell, calm, relaxing, and has a smell that beckons people around you. "Let's go back to my place for some fun."
(2x) Joop - Joop Homme - Bold and a bit on the wild side, one spray (two MAX), very STRONG scent and overpowers my Scented Alpha-7 easily, very unisex smell, excellent sillage + projection + longevity
(2x) Liz Claiborne - Mambo for men -
(2x) Paco Rabanne - One Million - classic, excellent sillage + projection + longevity
Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab - Snake Oil - smells good on me
Bruno Banani - Made for Men -
Burberry - B urberry Weekend -
bvlgari - aqva - fresh, aquatic fragrance with some citrus, feels very calm and relaxed,
Creed - Millesime Imperial - high end
Creed - Virgin Island Water - summer seasonal
David Beckham - Pure Instinct - fresh type seductive scent, very cool and inviting smell. "You wanna come over for a few drinks?"
Dior - Hypnotic Poison - of interest, maybe unisex
Escentric Molecules - Escentric 01 - huge pricetag, 65% Iso E Super, and the rest is a blend of other scents. From what I hear, it's quite impressive
French Connection UK - FCUK Him - real soft, unique, very relaxing, cheap on Amazon
Givenchy - Play Intense - deep subtle scent with sweet undertones, will certainly be appreciated. "Whether you come or go doesn't matter to me. Let's enjoy the moment."
Love Potion Magickal Perfumerie - Creole Man - Green
Love Potion Magickal Perfumerie - Pendragon - Aqua
Love Potion Magickal Perfumerie - Sorcerer For Men - foody/sweet
Love Potion Magickal Perfumerie - Teachers Pest - Spicy
Love Potion Magickal Perfumerie - UN for Men - Foody, too sweet for me, but i recognise so many women who just love it. Works like a magnet
Love Potion Magickal Perfumerie - Voracious - Blended with pheromone
Michael Storer - Star - winter seasonal
Polo - Explorer - classic
Succes de Paris - Fujiyama Homme - Light fruity/herbal scent, scored some positive remarks from the asian crowd, low longevity, cheap on Amazon
True Religion - drifter
Versace - Homme - everyday
Yves Saint Laurent - L'Homme -

Others from various fragrance websites

Good Search criteria

Perfumes for Women
Love Potion Magickal Perfumerie - Passion & Desire

Quotes from folks (not me)
Quote:My fav is Kashmiri Musk I have it 1 and 1/2 years and just started to use it more now. It has musk grains in it and still has not blended? I love the scent.

My second is Agar Musk Black Attar. I have to tell you when I have this one on I love just love what goes on!! First thing comes to my mind is dark. I will say go into a bar and just sit back and watch what happens. I have used Excalibur/SSFM and this musk blend and must say just loving it. This one just a very-very small drop will last like 10 hours.

I think one sample I also liked was White/Red/maybe Black Musk blend. The tag I cannot read anymore.

The Ambergri's White smells like my thinking of a seal or something would? It's a very interesting scent.

09-04-2012 6:29 PM
Thanks given by CanadianGuy45, Shelly B, bored4life, Iceali, scorpio69

Shelly B
Serious Poster

Sex: Female

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 1034
Thanks received:
1633 thanks in 649 posts

09-04-2012 7:12 PM

I'd have repped that - but I was told to spread the love....

Bravo!

blowkiss

Edited to say - I did nominate it - more guys need to get away from the cologne counter at Macy's and live a little.

Thanks for doing them all a service with that post.

My Best,
Shelly B
(This post was last modified: 09-04-2012 7:15 PM by Shelly B.)
09-04-2012 7:12 PM
Thanks given by CanadianGuy45

Share This Thread