Hello There, Guest! Register

1 user browsing this thread: (0 members, and 1 guest).

Iphone/Android App
Riverwind
Ghost in the Crowds

Sex: Male

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 63
Thanks received:
143 thanks in 45 posts

RE: Iphone/Android App
09-18-2012 10:08 AM

(09-16-2012 12:27 PM)mark-in-dallas Wrote:  Nope, I'm fine using just the browser. I'm almost always on a desktop anyway.

So am I. Typing on a phone sucks rocks anyways - especially if you are writing a longer text.

Aside from that, I have to admit that I actually hate forums - not the people in or running them, but the technology, the view and most other things about the look and feel. From way back, I have always been a Usenet-buff. Really retro, I know. But for some reason, I never found any forum that could compare to the Usenet and a good newsreader (my personal favourite is slrn).

The reader lets me choose what I want my stuff to look like, ranging from graphically rich to simple but fast text mode (as in vt-100, which is my favourite). When I visit my community I care about what the people have to say (or write) and not about the graphical crap around that. I don't mind pleasing looks, like graphic emoticons or avatars, but I'd be willing to sacrifice them for a fast, no-bull interface that I can navigate swiftly using only my keyboard. slrn offers that for the Usenet and I don't spend any real with time scrolling either while I use it.

And "back then", people had threading. I know, sounds like Grandma's knitting, but it's not! Big Grin This has been around for more than 25 years, probably much longer, but no forum actually uses it. If you're used to threading, you think you are back in the dark ages without it - especially if you compare the performance of slrn on an Intel 80486 with a "modern" forum on an AMD64.

Tapatalk doesn't have threading, but many advantages over the Browser: It makes far better use of the room on the screen (which is kinda in short supply anyway), uses less resources than the browser, is faster and puts all you forums in one place.

I hope you don't take this the wrong way!!! What makes a forum or newsgroup good are the people in it, not the interface!

mark-in-dallas Wrote:I don't know about the Xpperia, but it's pretty easy on most phones. And flashing ROM's is a cakewalk.

My Galaxy Note is running Cyanogenmod 9 (Android 4.0.4). Pretty cool stuff. But I think I'm going to change the launcher.

Chris
Riverwind's Storybook
09-18-2012 10:08 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Thanks given by Fly So Hi, mark-in-dallas

Fly So Hi
Jr. Researcher

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 1547
Thanks received:
853 thanks in 433 posts

09-18-2012 10:14 AM

Don't even start! Because I would love a pherotruth usenet!

Fly
09-18-2012 10:14 AM
mark-in-dallas
Administrator

Thanks Given: 1783
Thanks received:
4521 thanks in 1894 posts

09-18-2012 11:54 AM

(09-18-2012 10:08 AM)Riverwind Wrote:  My Galaxy Note is running Cyanogenmod 9 (Android 4.0.4). Pretty cool stuff. But I think I'm going to change the launcher.

I flashed back to a semi stock 4.0.4 Verizon ROM for my S3, but I think I'm going to flash the Paranoid Droid Jellybean ROM in the next day or two and see how stable it runs, and what works and what doesn't. Smile

BTW, if you're running CWM recovery, take a look at TWRP2. It's pretty cool!

Stop striving for PERFECTION, because the closer you get to achieving it the further away the goalpost moves. Instead, concentrate on PROGRESS, because you that you can meet and surpass every day!

Nobody changes until the pain of staying the same becomes greater than the pain of change....
09-18-2012 11:54 AM
Leon226 - Banned
Banned

Thanks Given: 77
Thanks received:
43 thanks in 25 posts

09-22-2012 12:49 PM

I use ipad so i guess i dun need this app.
09-22-2012 12:49 PM
Riverwind
Ghost in the Crowds

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 63
Thanks received:
143 thanks in 45 posts

09-25-2012 4:15 AM

(09-22-2012 12:49 PM)Leon226 Wrote:  I use ipad so i guess i dun need this app.

No, you don't need it. But it would still be cool. I don't know how Tapatalk does on iOS though. Personally, I think iOS is evil, but that's just me. Blum

Chris
Riverwind's Storybook
09-25-2012 4:15 AM

DGamer
Player of the Game

Sex: Often Please

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 524
Thanks received:
687 thanks in 279 posts

10-06-2012 12:59 AM

I'm currently on iOS6 and tapatalk says the plugin is out of date

Also says for the latest posts that "server has some issue with Tapatalk or your session is expired. If this problem persists, please re-enter this forum from Account tab."
I reentered but it still fails.

Compendium still under construction, no ETA
10-06-2012 12:59 AM
mark-in-dallas
Administrator

Thanks received:

10-06-2012 6:18 AM

I just checked and we have the latest version of the plugin, so it looks like its probably an iussue with the new Apple OS.

Stop striving for PERFECTION, because the closer you get to achieving it the further away the goalpost moves. Instead, concentrate on PROGRESS, because you that you can meet and surpass every day!

Nobody changes until the pain of staying the same becomes greater than the pain of change....
10-06-2012 6:18 AM
Thanks given by DGamer
Kahotep
Censored By PheroTruth.

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 162
Thanks received:
116 thanks in 79 posts

04-02-2013 5:48 AM

I was using an iPhone forum app called "Tapatalk" Yetusing Safari browser is way better and gives me access as if I'm on my laptop.

The truth is stranger than fiction... It's best to ascertain a reasoning for yourself than to rely on another persons judgement
04-02-2013 5:48 AM
AManAPlan
Getting comfortable

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 8
Thanks received:
31 thanks in 10 posts

08-21-2013 7:13 PM

Mark, tapatalk says that the forums tapatalk API is expired

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 4

Rockin: Glace, Corpo, -neno, Ammo, P83, P130, TUTH, Shine 4x Cohesion, Bliss, SOB XS, Odessy, Flirt, Ascend, NPA

Want to be rockin: Aqua Vitae, Nude Alpha, Overdose, Wolf, 'etrione, Copulins, MX297, P74, P86, and on, and on and on...

Anyone want to lend me about a grand or so?
08-21-2013 7:13 PM

mark-in-dallas
Administrator

Thanks received:

08-21-2013 9:12 PM

(08-21-2013 7:13 PM)AManAPlan Wrote:  Mark, tapatalk says that the forums tapatalk API is expired

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 4

Funny to hear that, cause I just got an email from them yesterday that started out like this:

tapatalk Wrote:Dear Forum Owners,

We are excited to announce that Tapatalk is going to begin testing a free version of Tapatalk and in-app ads as a way to help you make money from mobile traffic.

Moving from a paid app to a free app

We recently started to offer the Tapatalk app for free for iOS devices. Since we began to test the free version, we are very happy to report a significant increase in downloads.

Testing ad formats

In the next few days, we will begin to test ad formats on Tapatalk. The ad formats will be integrated within topics, and there will be three formats; banner ads, app installs, and "Promoted Topics" (similar to Facebook's Promoted Stories).

During this initial phase, we will be testing technical integrations. The frequency of ads will be very low, and many of your users may never see an ad.

So, if our API has expired I believe that I'll let it stay expired, at least unless and until they give up on their advertising plan, because in my opinion having charged folks for an application then changing over to a free app and subjecting everyone to advertisements is a PRETTY SHITTY THING TO DO!!!

And besides, the foruum displays perfect in Google Chrrome! Smile

08-21-2013 9:12 PM

Share This Thread