Hello There, Guest! Register

1 user browsing this thread: (0 members, and 1 guest).

Intermittent fasting
Fishdude

Sex: Male

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 258
Thanks received:
1401 thanks in 558 posts

Intermittent fasting
04-22-2012 10:20 PM

Good day

I have recently been following some if the intermittent fasting principles to remove stubborn fat. What are your feelings/experiences with if.

Fd
04-22-2012 10:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Grape Ape
Contributes Regularly

Sex:

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 1
Thanks received:
56 thanks in 32 posts

RE: Intermittent fasting
04-22-2012 10:52 PM

I'm tired so I'll get back in here in the morning. I'm about 3 weeks into some IF. Drinks Till tomorrow...
(This post was last modified: 04-22-2012 10:54 PM by Grape Ape.)
04-22-2012 10:52 PM
Thanks given by Fishdude
Cman888
Contributes Regularly

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 110
Thanks received:
142 thanks in 73 posts

04-23-2012 12:41 AM

I use intermittent fasting sometimes depending on schedule.

I use the 16/8 model and it works amazing. no more breakfast....

It works best if you work out before your first meal, that way you maximize growth hormone secretion, etc.

It takes about 2 weeks to get used to it, then after that it is amazing.

Right now i am using a feast/fast model since it corresponds to my school schedule.

Try it out and if it works fucking rights.... its not for everyone.
I use intermittent fasting sometimes depending on schedule.

I use the 16/8 model and it works amazing. no more breakfast....

It works best if you work out before your first meal, that way you maximize growth hormone secretion, etc.

It takes about 2 weeks to get used to it, then after that it is amazing.

Right now i am using a feast/fast model since it corresponds to my school schedule.

Try it out and if it works fucking rights.... its not for everyone.
(This post was last modified: 04-23-2012 12:41 AM by Cman888.)
04-23-2012 12:41 AM
Fishdude

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 258
Thanks received:
1401 thanks in 558 posts

04-23-2012 7:26 AM

Been trying this for a week now, the 16/8. I'm not having a big meal directly after my morning workout and I feel great with tons of energy.

Have been studying the material on leangains.com, interesting reading.
04-23-2012 7:26 AM
Cman888
Contributes Regularly

Rep Post

Thanks received:
142 thanks in 73 posts

04-23-2012 11:20 AM

Yeah i follow the 16/8 protocol from a guy who just adopted and adapted leangains.

The first meal after a workout increases GH which will help burn off the fat. Try it and see how you feel.

Im actually fasting today, 24 hrs.

Fasting is amazing.
Yeah i follow the 16/8 protocol from a guy who just adopted and adapted leangains.

The first meal after a workout increases GH which will help burn off the fat. Try it and see how you feel.

Im actually fasting today, 24 hrs.

Fasting is amazing.
(This post was last modified: 04-23-2012 11:20 AM by Cman888.)
04-23-2012 11:20 AM
Thanks given by Fishdude

extraballislit
Contributes Regularly

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 1300
Thanks received:
362 thanks in 188 posts

04-23-2012 3:39 PM

(04-23-2012 11:20 AM)Cman888 Wrote:  Im actually fasting today, 24 hrs.

Me too.

Today, I've not eaten anything. Only lots of water, a cup of back cofee, and lots of tea.

I've worked out at 14.30 (taken some BCAAS before and after to avoid loosing muscle mass) and I'm about to go to bed.

Tomorrow, I'll have a small protein meal after morning cardio (whey) and a huge 1.100 calories meal at 08.00 PM.

On wednesday, 16/8.

So far, I'm feeling good. This is my 2nd week with this routine. Still have not lost much fast, but I guess I will.

2 extra work hours today (I ussually take 5 meals a day). Maybe I'm feeling a little colder than usual, not sure.

Planning to keep it for 5 - 6 more weeks.
04-23-2012 3:39 PM
eyeofra
the Sun God

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 1527
Thanks received:
1410 thanks in 510 posts

04-23-2012 4:24 PM

You know the "male erection herb" yohimbe? Well it is also an effective fat burner. It really helps with stubborn fat, lower body fat, etc. Also, sitting in a far-infrared sauna will help with stubborn fat, the infrared penetrates your body 2-3 inches instead of hot air that just heats your skin Good

Check out the "cyclic ketogenic diet" - it shreds fat and bulks you up at the same time. (Thank you Dan Duchaine for designing it!)

I will have to look this 16/8 thing up, I'm lost. Wacko

I've always tried to eat 6-8 small meals. Keeps the blood sugar stable. I'm not diabetic or anything, it's just a "grazing" style. I workout before my first meal as well (whey and EFA's) and then try to eat something every few hours. Feasting isn't good news, unless under certain circumstances. If you chow a huge meal you spike your insulin and store fat, unless you just completed a marathon, a full body workout, a fast, something in that order. It has to do with insulin sensitivity . Some people have good insulin sensitivity, others don't. But everyones insulin sensitivity is better right after a workout or after you havn't eaten for a while. The glycemic index of the food is paramount. So is the meal's timing. No matter what though, eating too much is never good.

My understanding was that fasting was beneficial every once and a while, but it wasn't something to do every week or month. If I was going to fast, I would hike with as much water as I could carry as far as I could carry it and camp for a week or untill my water was almost gone. I'd drink the last of it on the walk out for sure lol.

Side note* Look up epigenetics. Very interesting stuff. For instance, if your parents went through a famine when they were kids, you lived longer. If your parents had a year of good harvest and feasting you had a shorter life-span. Eek Hehe good reading for days, very informative and enlightening.

Good luck with the stubborn fat fishdude. Check out Dan Duchaine's book "Bodyopus" if you want. I think it would help you.
Ra

[Image: 34t60p1.gif]
AM, Certo, Glace, Corporativo, L2K V1 & V2, Aquagen, AV, Wolf, Nude, Hypnotica, OD Gel, Erox, N.P.A., EoaW, TL, TA, TI, TrueTrust, XXX, TrueEssence, Wingman 7, 9, 9+O, Black, Blue, X, Extreme, X22, C4 and M512, Ascend, Evolve, Cohesion, Bliss, Vibe, Prowl, ienone, anone, Androsterone, Pregnenolone, Androstadienol, Androstenetrione
04-23-2012 4:24 PM
Thanks given by Fishdude, Pheroman, DGamer
Cman888
Contributes Regularly

Rep Post

Thanks received:
142 thanks in 73 posts

04-23-2012 10:34 PM

(04-23-2012 4:24 PM)eyeofra Wrote:  You know the "male erection herb" yohimbe? Well it is also an effective fat burner. It really helps with stubborn fat, lower body fat, etc. Also, sitting in a far-infrared sauna will help with stubborn fat, the infrared penetrates your body 2-3 inches instead of hot air that just heats your skin Good

Check out the "cyclic ketogenic diet" - it shreds fat and bulks you up at the same time. (Thank you Dan Duchaine for designing it!)

I will have to look this 16/8 thing up, I'm lost. Wacko

I've always tried to eat 6-8 small meals. Keeps the blood sugar stable. I'm not diabetic or anything, it's just a "grazing" style. I workout before my first meal as well (whey and EFA's) and then try to eat something every few hours. Feasting isn't good news, unless under certain circumstances. If you chow a huge meal you spike your insulin and store fat, unless you just completed a marathon, a full body workout, a fast, something in that order. It has to do with insulin sensitivity . Some people have good insulin sensitivity, others don't. But everyones insulin sensitivity is better right after a workout or after you havn't eaten for a while. The glycemic index of the food is paramount. So is the meal's timing. No matter what though, eating too much is never good.

My understanding was that fasting was beneficial every once and a while, but it wasn't something to do every week or month. If I was going to fast, I would hike with as much water as I could carry as far as I could carry it and camp for a week or untill my water was almost gone. I'd drink the last of it on the walk out for sure lol.

Side note* Look up epigenetics. Very interesting stuff. For instance, if your parents went through a famine when they were kids, you lived longer. If your parents had a year of good harvest and feasting you had a shorter life-span. Eek Hehe good reading for days, very informative and enlightening.

Good luck with the stubborn fat fishdude. Check out Dan Duchaine's book "Bodyopus" if you want. I think it would help you.
Ra

I agree with you and disagree...

There is no proven evidence to suggest 5-6 meals has any afffect on metabolism. If you can eat 2500 calories in 3 meals, go for it. does not change a thing. It comes down to how much food you can eat at once.

What intermittent fasting does. 16/8 model ( the one i follow) is it emphasises GH production. Your body produces it when you sleep, when you fast and first meal after a workout.

Your last meal is at 10 pm. sleep, etc. workout at noon or 1 then first meal is a 2 pm. you have 8 hours to refeed, which is usually 3-4 meals. its all about energy in and energy out.

I feast and fast every week. i am down 12lbs in 3 weeks while getting stronger/ maintaining muscle size.

Also, there are specific reasons as to why feasting has its role, such as its ability to reset metabolism and re-ignite fat burning hormones into your body.

Obviously like you said, some people have different varying levels of insulin resistence and is a valid point.

Somoene who is 250 lbs 30% bf, will not benefit from from feast days as his body is already full of fat burning hormones.

Someone whos is 200 lbs 10% bf , will benefit.

For example. for my feast day.

16 serving cheesecake = 6000 calories
4 pieces french toast w/ peanut butter, maple syrup, icing suger bananas = around 1200 calories.
1 litre of choco milk, 2 litre of milk - 2500 calories.
and much more.

I dropped 4 lbs in one week. actually 5 days. This is an advanced diet. theres a lot more then feasting and fasting.

I fast every week.

There is a program called " eat stop eat" amazing diet, and they call for 2 fasts a week.

this lifestyle of eating and is a choice.

It comes down to what works for you. Until what your doing stops working and your at a plateau, then switch it up.

Check out this site:

Again, what works for someone. may not work for others. like mones.
04-23-2012 10:34 PM
extraballislit
Contributes Regularly

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 1300
Thanks received:
362 thanks in 188 posts

04-24-2012 7:37 AM

(04-23-2012 10:34 PM)Cman888 Wrote:  Check out this site:

Again, what works for someone. may not work for others. like mones.

yep.

This is the one I'm following.

So far, doing good. Today is the worst day. After a 24 hours fast, I've done 45 minutes cardio in the morning, followed by a whey protein shake (about 80 gr protein) and my next meal is at 8 - 9 PM.

I'm so hungry right now that I can't feel hunger.

Talk to you soon.
04-24-2012 7:37 AM

eyeofra
the Sun God

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 1527
Thanks received:
1410 thanks in 510 posts

04-25-2012 1:01 PM

@cman - Well, if it works for you that's good. But it rubs me the wrong way from the way it sounds, and your link is dead so I can't check it out.

@extraballislit - dude 80 grams of protein is waaay to much. You can't assimilate that mega dose and more than half of it is ending up in the toilet. You would be better served by three 30 gram servings each a half an hour to an hour apart.

But let me share some things with both of you. Your fat cells have two adrenoreceptors B1 and A2. (adreno - adrenaline) Fat cells don't get very much blood circulation, so it's noradrenaline generated at the nerve sites that attaches to these receptors. B1 is the good one, it activates lipase and signals for the fat cell to disassemble; burning fat for energy. Normal adrenaline would do the same if it could reach the receptor site, but fat has no major arteries or veins, only capillaries.

A2 is an evil bastard that we hate. The A2 receptor BLOCKS lipase in the fat cell. What is even worse is that A2 signals for the formation of NEW triglycerides. Then add in that it reduces noradrenaline production at the nerve site meaning B1's are stimulated less AND causes a decrease in body temperature and you see why the A2 isn't popular!

Now consider that stubborn fat (for the ladies lower body fat - for men belly and spare tire) has very few B1 receptor sites, and ALOT of A2 receptors. So they don't release much fat, but love to store it. What's worse is that fasting and low calorie diets cause in increase in A2 receptor sites in a survival mechanism of sorts.

So when you fast, or go on a low calorie diet you'll lose fat quickly from the fat cells with lots of B1 receptors. Very little will be lost from the fat cells with lots of A2 receptors. After some time your noradrenaline levels drop causing a decrease in body temperature. The number of A2 receptors increases. The last of the fat becomes increasingly difficult to mobilize, and muscle is catabolized for fuel. When you give up on the diet, even your normal eating habits will cause new fat accumulation right in the fat cells that have increased their number of A2 receptors.

Thyroid hormone stimulates muscle cells to burn more energy. Through the B2 receptor adrenaline and noradrenaline send a heat message to the muscles. Not really important, but this part is:
the BEST way to mobilize stubborn fat is to immerse yourself in COLD water. Your B1 and B2 receptors are both stimulated and you burn fat effectively while sparing muscle. Not very pleasant, but if you live near the pacific ocean or a lake/river go swim in the shallows, bodysurf or boogie board even. The exertion along with the massive B1 and B2 stimulation = super fat burning.

But seriously, feasting is bad bad bad. It spikes your insulin and stores fat unless you have good insulin sensitivity and have depleted your muscle glycogen by intense exercise. You want to store glycogen in your muscles, not triglycerides in your belly fat. Muscle cells require less insulin to start their uptake of blood glucose than fat cells. So small meals that keep blood sugar (and thereby insulin secretion) stable allow you to compensate your muscles for the fast but not the fat cells. A big feast spikes your blood sugar and insulin opening the doors for both muscle and fat. You're "feast" should be a long steady graze on high glycemic simple carbs that gradually tapers to more complex carbs so you're only feeding your muscles.

I think that reading Underground Bodyopus by Daniel Duchaine would help you out. I was raised by body builders and I still refer to this book every once and a while.

Crap I g2g to work
Ra

[Image: 34t60p1.gif]
AM, Certo, Glace, Corporativo, L2K V1 & V2, Aquagen, AV, Wolf, Nude, Hypnotica, OD Gel, Erox, N.P.A., EoaW, TL, TA, TI, TrueTrust, XXX, TrueEssence, Wingman 7, 9, 9+O, Black, Blue, X, Extreme, X22, C4 and M512, Ascend, Evolve, Cohesion, Bliss, Vibe, Prowl, ienone, anone, Androsterone, Pregnenolone, Androstadienol, Androstenetrione
04-25-2012 1:01 PM
Thanks given by Cman888, paradigmshift, extraballislit

Share This Thread