Hello There, Guest! Register

Or login with , or

1 user browsing this thread: (0 members, and 1 guest).

Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead
AlternativeGirl
Sapiosexual

Sex: Female

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 2588
Thanks received:
1773 thanks in 672 posts

RE: Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead
08-23-2012 3:59 PM

(08-23-2012 11:27 AM)lostlibra74 Wrote:  AG: yeah. Switched to almond milk. Had a good whole food mostly low carb routine that had me feeling better than I ever have. The gotcha was that it was all for a big money weight loss contest - I won. Once it ended I was all 'I'm gonna eat whatever I want for 1 week then get back on it.' well one week turned into two and then life got crazy on me.

Interested in hemp protein. On it has a product with hemp, cocoa, and maca I'm looking at.

Will definitely check out the other doc.

I drink almond milk every day. I know how to make it from scratch, but I love that it is widely available and I don't have to make it.

Hemp is great for omega fatty acids, and maca is very sexy.

Sounds like the foundation to an awesome smoothie. Throw in a banana and some coconut water, and I'd eat it.

The weight-loss wasn't the important part. The real thing was that you were feeling better than you ever had. You deserve to always feel that way or better.

But, hell, I know how it is like to be busy and get a bit off track.

Just remember every moment is a choice Big Grin

Life's a garden; dig it

my journal:

http://pherotruth.com/Thread-Fun-Times-and-Pheromones
(This post was last modified: 08-23-2012 4:07 PM by AlternativeGirl.)
08-23-2012 3:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Isis
Contributes Regularly

Sex: Female

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 465
Thanks received:
429 thanks in 184 posts

08-25-2012 8:32 AM

(08-23-2012 9:37 AM)AlternativeGirl Wrote:  you might already be doing this, but I thought I'd mention that the pulp should get juiced once or twice. I find that (at least with my juicer) some of the stuff doesn't hardly even get juiced the first time through, so I scoop out the lovely pulp and run it through again. I get twice the juice doing this once or twice.

Then I take the fibrous pulp and sprinkle it in my garden like mulch.

You could also blend the pulp in your blender. It is the fiber in fruit that balances out the sugar. I had never considered doing this, but it's not a bad idea. I already like to blend romaine and celery in my fruit smoothies. Goes great with fresh pineapple Big Grin

I used to fast a bunch when I was younger. Never really felt hungry. but, yeah, just adding all this stuff to your daily routine is already such a huge improvement.

I've never thought of that! How clever. I always felt centrifugal juicers were such a waste. I've always wanted a masticating one but they're out my budget. I'd rather have more mones. P

Dunno if you tried this, but it's much more efficient than running the pulp through the juicer twice maybe. I blend it all in a blender than strain the juice using a sprouting bag. But paint strainers work too. You can squeeze all the juice out with your hands in one go.
08-25-2012 8:32 AM
wiserd
I'm so meta, even this acronym

Sex: Male

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 1059
Thanks received:
1048 thanks in 523 posts

08-26-2012 7:38 PM

(08-25-2012 8:32 AM)Merienda Wrote:  I've never thought of that! How clever. I always felt centrifugal juicers were such a waste. I've always wanted a masticating one but they're out my budget. I'd rather have more mones. P

Dunno if you tried this, but it's much more efficient than running the pulp through the juicer twice maybe. I blend it all in a blender than strain the juice using a sprouting bag. But paint strainers work too. You can squeeze all the juice out with your hands in one go.

I own a reasonably high-end masticating juicer (Champion) but I never used it much since it was such a pain to clean. Now I just mix some water with veggies, blend in a blender, press with a ricer once or twice to remove the big stuff and strain the liquid that remains using a wire mesh strainer. It's easier to clean afterwards. You get a bit more fiber and it's dirt cheap.

While this dilutes the juice a little, I feel that by blending the vegetables with water there's a little more opportunity to soak up the nutrients in the veggies. Not all vegetables produce waste which is fiberous enough to be filtered out by a ricer, unfortunately. Kale and cruciferous veggies work wonderfully. Cucumber doesn't work at all.

People (especially people selling masticating juicers) say this oxidizes the juice but I think that's just marketing hype to upsell people to a more expensive setup. Blenders, ricers and strainers work as well for me as anything a masticating juicer makes.

If you don't have a ricer you can use just a blender and a strainer, but you don't recover as much juice and it's a slower process, stirring the larger quantity of mush in the strainer to get the liquid out.

[Image: Example.jpg]
08-26-2012 7:38 PM
Thanks given by Isis
wiserd

Rep Post

Thanks received:
1048 thanks in 523 posts

08-26-2012 7:48 PM

(08-23-2012 10:23 AM)lostlibra74 Wrote:  Fruit smoothies were a big part of that, until I found out that dairy cancels out the benefits of most fruits. (Casein proteins bind to the same receptors as the antioxidants. There are studies that show this to be true for both blueberries and green tea, so assuming it's true with most things.)

I'm not sure what "Casein binds to the same receptors as the antioxidants" means. Could you provide a source? I'm not a big fan of run-of-the-mill cow's milk, granted. And the calcium in milk will remove the healthy catechins from green tea by reacting with them and precipitating them into an insoluble form. Was that what you were referring to?

I apologizing for nitpicking here, but I tend to think in terms of mechanisms and how stuff works.

On a related note, the healthy catechins in chocolate are removed by the "dutching" process, which involves treatment with alkalai. If you're interested in your health, it makes sense to get undutched chocolate.
Sorry for the double post on the Champion juicer...

(This post was last modified: 08-26-2012 7:49 PM by wiserd.)
08-26-2012 7:48 PM
thundr
calm like a bomb

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 2177
Thanks received:
3844 thanks in 742 posts

08-26-2012 8:07 PM

I read alot about this. This is from when I was deciding on going on a high casein diet to try and manipulate positive nitrogen balance due to its long digestion time. After reading about casein's glue-like properties, I abandoned that idea and have limited alot of my dairy since reading up on it. Casein has a natural ability to make antioxidants in may fruits less bioavailable.

This is prolly similar to the study with which 74 is speaking about:

Quote:As for blueberries and milk protein, the researchers used whole milk in their study. But it is easy to assume that all milk products containing milk protein would cause the antioxidants in blueberries to become unavailable to the body. This would include yogurt, ice cream, and whey protein. To avoid this, eat blueberries an hour before or two hours after consuming milk products. These findings may also apply to other fruits containing phenols.
Antioxidant activity of blueberry fruit is impaired by association with milk.
Serafini M, Testa MF, Villano D, Pecorari M, van Wieren K, Azzini E, Brambilla A, Maiani G.
Free Radic Bio Med. 2009 Mar 15;46(6):769-74.

Heres another snippet I found that has the same concept:

Quote:It probably isn’t fair to make cream the sole culprit when it comes to neutralizing the antioxidants in your coffee or tea. In fact, it’s the casein contained in the cream that causes the problems. This ingredient is in every milk product. It’s more correct to say that milk, or any form thereof added to your coffee or tea, negates their ability to neutralize free radicals. Cream is the worst additive among milk products because it not only negates the health benefits, but also adds saturated fat.

Journal: http://pherotruth.com/Thread-Riders-On-The-Storm
08-26-2012 8:07 PM
Thanks given by CanadianGuy45

lostlibra74
Contributes Regularly

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 46
Thanks received:
247 thanks in 144 posts

08-26-2012 8:23 PM

I got curious originally after seeing a study from england about the effects of milk on the antioxidants/active ingredients in green tea. Did some digging and found that about blueberries.
oops thundr beat me too it.

http://pherotruth.com/Thread-Here-goes-n...lpha-libra

Chemlab:
Acqua Vitae
Evolve
Nude Alpha Sample
Alpha Maschio Sample
Lucky 7 sample
Odyssey sample
L2K
A1

On the way:
Wolf
(This post was last modified: 08-26-2012 8:28 PM by lostlibra74.)
08-26-2012 8:23 PM
wiserd

Rep Post

Thanks received:
1048 thanks in 523 posts

08-26-2012 9:49 PM

Thanks Thundr. That's more along the lines of what I was thinking, i.e. the problem was that milk components were binding to particular antioxidants and preventing their absorption.

For what it's worth, milk is a mixed bag and has some positive aspects as well. Cheese is one of the few sources of Menaquinone (K2), which is good for heart health and doesn't seem to promote obesity despite its caloric content. I tend to supplement K2, which seems to have some interesting anti-carcinogenic properties as well.

Dairy combats insulin resistance

I tend to go with goat's milk or, failing that, milk from grass fed cows. Hydrolyzed whey is a good source of cystine, which is used to make the lynchpin anti-oxidant glutathione. Maybe a good idea, maybe a bad one. *shrug*

08-26-2012 9:49 PM
lostlibra74
Contributes Regularly

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 46
Thanks received:
247 thanks in 144 posts

08-26-2012 9:53 PM

(08-26-2012 9:49 PM)wiserd Wrote:  Thanks Thundr. That's more along the lines of what I was thinking, i.e. the problem was that milk components were binding to particular antioxidants and preventing their absorption.

For what it's worth, milk is a mixed bag and has some positive aspects as well. Cheese is one of the few sources of Menaquinone (K2), which is good for heart health and doesn't seem to promote obesity despite its caloric content. I tend to supplement K2, which seems to have some interesting anti-carcinogenic properties as well.

Dairy combats insulin resistance

I tend to go with goat's milk or, failing that, milk from grass fed cows. Hydrolyzed whey is a good source of cystine, which is used to make the lynchpin anti-oxidant glutathione. Maybe a good idea, maybe a bad one. *shrug*

Yeah, I knew it was the casein, just remembered it wrong.

I love dairy. I just don't combine it with fruits any more, unless I'm just treating myself and not worried about nutrition. Grapes and cheese = awesome.
(08-23-2012 3:59 PM)AlternativeGirl Wrote:  I drink almond milk every day. I know how to make it from scratch, but I love that it is widely available and I don't have to make it.

Hemp is great for omega fatty acids, and maca is very sexy.

Sounds like the foundation to an awesome smoothie. Throw in a banana and some coconut water, and I'd eat it.

The weight-loss wasn't the important part. The real thing was that you were feeling better than you ever had. You deserve to always feel that way or better.

But, hell, I know how it is like to be busy and get a bit off track.

Just remember every moment is a choice Big Grin
Haha at the time the weight loss was the important part, had $500 riding on me winning.

http://pherotruth.com/Thread-Here-goes-n...lpha-libra

Chemlab:
Acqua Vitae
Evolve
Nude Alpha Sample
Alpha Maschio Sample
Lucky 7 sample
Odyssey sample
L2K
A1

On the way:
Wolf
(This post was last modified: 08-26-2012 9:55 PM by lostlibra74.)
08-26-2012 9:53 PM

Share This Thread