Hello There, Guest! Register

Or login with , or

1 user browsing this thread: (0 members, and 1 guest).

Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead
wiserd
I'm so meta, even this acronym

Sex: Male

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 1059
Thanks received:
1048 thanks in 523 posts

RE: Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead
06-07-2012 12:45 PM

(06-07-2012 9:31 AM)halo0073 Wrote:  Thanks for the info. I bought a Breville awhile ago and am using it everyday. The clean up is not bad at all.

Interesting. I'll remember that name. Thanks.

[Image: Example.jpg]
06-07-2012 12:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Thanks given by halo0073
Isis
Contributes Regularly

Sex: Female

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 465
Thanks received:
429 thanks in 184 posts

08-08-2012 4:14 AM

My problem with juicing is that I get too lazy making the juice that I end up drinking 16 oz of vegetable juice a day and mostly water.

Suffice to say I had some intense muscle atrophy going on. I now juice for just a week or so to cleanse my body after eating a bunch of crap and to kick my processed food addiction when it happens every couple months or so. It gives me a new appreciate for fresh whole foods everytime. Everything tastes so much better after a juice fast!

I also credit a juice fast for kick starting my vegan lifestyle.
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2012 4:15 AM by Isis.)
08-08-2012 4:14 AM
Thanks given by AlternativeGirl
lostlibra74
Contributes Regularly

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 46
Thanks received:
247 thanks in 144 posts

08-22-2012 8:10 PM

I just made my first juice. Threw caution to the wind. No recipe. Bunch of celery, couple of apples, banana (didn't work out so well), blueberries, grapes, spinach, italian parsley. bought a couple of carrots for it but completely forgot about them by the time I fed everything else through the machine.

The result was this slightly grassy but totally drinkable juice. Surprised by the fact that drinking it was easy. Also surprised that I don't feel hungry.

One of the things I'm considering is combing the juice and the pulp in a blender, which might make for better results than just blending in my little wal-mart special blender. Seems like an awful lot of nutrition lost in the pulp.

We'll see how long I can go without getting hungry. I have no intention of going vegan, or even an extended fast. But I figure replacing one or two meals a day has still got to be a big nutrition boost.

http://pherotruth.com/Thread-Here-goes-n...lpha-libra

Chemlab:
Acqua Vitae
Evolve
Nude Alpha Sample
Alpha Maschio Sample
Lucky 7 sample
Odyssey sample
L2K
A1

On the way:
Wolf
(This post was last modified: 08-22-2012 8:11 PM by lostlibra74.)
08-22-2012 8:10 PM
Thanks given by AlternativeGirl, Lexy

wiserd
I'm so meta, even this acronym

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 1059
Thanks received:
1048 thanks in 523 posts

08-23-2012 1:42 AM

(08-22-2012 8:10 PM)lostlibra74 Wrote:  I just made my first juice. Threw caution to the wind. No recipe. Bunch of celery, couple of apples, banana (didn't work out so well), blueberries, grapes, spinach, italian parsley. bought a couple of carrots for it but completely forgot about them by the time I fed everything else through the machine.

The result was this slightly grassy but totally drinkable juice. Surprised by the fact that drinking it was easy. Also surprised that I don't feel hungry.

One of the things I'm considering is combing the juice and the pulp in a blender, which might make for better results than just blending in my little wal-mart special blender. Seems like an awful lot of nutrition lost in the pulp.

We'll see how long I can go without getting hungry. I have no intention of going vegan, or even an extended fast. But I figure replacing one or two meals a day has still got to be a big nutrition boost.

Fruit juice is high in sugar. It has some nutrients and the flavanoids slow absorption a little, but all in all it's a lot like sugar water.

The more you can minimize fruits and root vegetables (I love a good carrot juice, but it's high sugar) the better off you'll be.

Unless sugar isn't an issue for you (like after or before exercise.)

[Image: Example.jpg]
08-23-2012 1:42 AM
AlternativeGirl
Sapiosexual

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 2588
Thanks received:
1773 thanks in 672 posts

08-23-2012 9:37 AM

(08-22-2012 8:10 PM)lostlibra74 Wrote:  One of the things I'm considering is combing the juice and the pulp in a blender, which might make for better results than just blending in my little wal-mart special blender. Seems like an awful lot of nutrition lost in the pulp.

you might already be doing this, but I thought I'd mention that the pulp should get juiced once or twice. I find that (at least with my juicer) some of the stuff doesn't hardly even get juiced the first time through, so I scoop out the lovely pulp and run it through again. I get twice the juice doing this once or twice.

Then I take the fibrous pulp and sprinkle it in my garden like mulch.

You could also blend the pulp in your blender. It is the fiber in fruit that balances out the sugar. I had never considered doing this, but it's not a bad idea. I already like to blend romaine and celery in my fruit smoothies. Goes great with fresh pineapple Big Grin

I used to fast a bunch when I was younger. Never really felt hungry. but, yeah, just adding all this stuff to your daily routine is already such a huge improvement.

Life's a garden; dig it

my journal:

http://pherotruth.com/Thread-Fun-Times-and-Pheromones
08-23-2012 9:37 AM
Thanks given by Isis
lostlibra74
Contributes Regularly

Rep Post

Thanks received:
247 thanks in 144 posts

08-23-2012 10:23 AM

wiserd - thanks for the info. I'm aware. Trying to keep the overall balance tilted to vegetables, but there are some undeniable benefits to some fruits, i.e. blueberries etc. Sugar or no sugar, the fruit is much better than what I've been eating, pizza, mcdonald's, etc.

AG - yeah. I'm trying to break fast food routine. I'm always on the go with little time for food prep. I lost 50 pounds in 2010. Fruit smoothies were a big part of that, until I found out that dairy cancels out the benefits of most fruits. (Casein proteins bind to the same receptors as the antioxidants. There are studies that show this to be true for both blueberries and green tea, so assuming it's true with most things.)

But after I saw the trailer for in this thread, I immediately watched the film on amazon prime. Figured it was worth giving the juicer a shot.
wiserd - thanks for the info. I'm aware. Trying to keep the overall balance tilted to vegetables, but there are some undeniable benefits to some fruits, i.e. blueberries etc. Sugar or no sugar, the fruit is much better than what I've been eating, pizza, mcdonald's, etc.

AG - yeah. I'm trying to break fast food routine. I'm always on the go with little time for food prep. I lost 50 pounds in 2010. Fruit smoothies were a big part of that, until I found out that dairy cancels out the benefits of most fruits. (Casein proteins bind to the same receptors as the antioxidants. There are studies that show this to be true for both blueberries and green tea, so assuming it's true with most things.)

But after I saw the trailer for in this thread, I immediately watched the film on amazon prime. Figured it was worth giving the juicer a shot.

Chemlab:
Acqua Vitae
Evolve
Nude Alpha Sample
Alpha Maschio Sample
Lucky 7 sample
Odyssey sample
L2K
A1

On the way:
Wolf
(This post was last modified: 08-23-2012 10:23 AM by lostlibra74.)
08-23-2012 10:23 AM
AlternativeGirl
Sapiosexual

Rep Post

Thanks received:
1773 thanks in 672 posts

08-23-2012 10:43 AM

Yeah, i would never even think of putting yogurt or milk in my smoothies any more. Another good documentary you can watch for free on youtube is "diet for a new america"

You can still do smoothies sans milk. adding some stuff like flax seed meal, hemp powder and other supplements makes getting better nutrition a breeze.

But, i'm totally sympathetic to the busy person who has just gotten used to eating pizza and taco bell.

However, smoothies with fresh or frozen fruit (maybe some veggies) and some supplements are prob'ly a better way to go.

Life's a garden; dig it

my journal:

08-23-2012 10:43 AM
Thanks given by Lexy

halo0073

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 1420
Thanks received:
2770 thanks in 1324 posts

08-23-2012 10:48 AM

Diet For A New America (the book) flipped me out when I read it 20 years ago. Some of them are game changers.
(This post was last modified: 08-23-2012 10:49 AM by halo0073.)
08-23-2012 10:48 AM
lostlibra74
Contributes Regularly

Rep Post

Thanks received:
247 thanks in 144 posts

08-23-2012 11:27 AM

AG: yeah. Switched to almond milk. Had a good whole food mostly low carb routine that had me feeling better than I ever have. The gotcha was that it was all for a big money weight loss contest - I won. Once it ended I was all 'I'm gonna eat whatever I want for 1 week then get back on it.' well one week turned into two and then life got crazy on me.

Interested in hemp protein. On it has a product with hemp, cocoa, and maca I'm looking at.

Will definitely check out the other doc.

Chemlab:
Acqua Vitae
Evolve
Nude Alpha Sample
Alpha Maschio Sample
Lucky 7 sample
Odyssey sample
L2K
A1

On the way:
Wolf
08-23-2012 11:27 AM
AlternativeGirl
Sapiosexual

Rep Post

Thanks received:
1773 thanks in 672 posts

08-23-2012 3:56 PM

(08-23-2012 10:48 AM)halo0073 Wrote:  Diet For A New America (the book) flipped me out when I read it 20 years ago. Some of them are game changers.

I bet! Diet for a new america was a total game changer for me. I had done vegan and raw vegan in the past, but when I saw it, it gave me so many new reasons why it was important to think about this stuff.

I still think paleo is the way to go, but I've just gotten so used to not eating meat.

Life's a garden; dig it

my journal:

08-23-2012 3:56 PM

Share This Thread