Hello There, Guest! Register

1 user browsing this thread: (0 members, and 1 guest).

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Winning a debate/argument -- Say the right thing or pheromones?
Marcus Antonius
Contributes Regularly

Sex: Male

Rep Post

RE: Winning a debate/argument -- Say the right thing or pheromones?
11-21-2019 4:51 PM

In order to avoid beeing to serious in the discussion: I once read a bonmot I liked:
"The most equally distributed human trait is intelligence, nobody thinks he needs more than he's got"
11-21-2019 4:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
stefdude

Rep Post

11-23-2019 5:28 PM

(11-21-2019 4:51 PM)Marcus Antonius Wrote:  In order to avoid beeing to serious in the discussion: I once read a bonmot I liked:
"The most equally distributed human trait is intelligence, nobody thinks he needs more than he's got"

On the surface it looks like this is true and I onced believed it but now I doubt it.I think that every human has an evolutionary mechanism that constantly compares himself/herself to others and subconsciously places that someone on a level on the pyramid of competitiveness.
This mechanism is very crucial to our survival, so no matter what someone may say on the outside, subconsciously he senses pretty accurately where he/she is positioned.Many times the inferiority complex originates from true inferiority.

Aside from that I understand that my previous comment may have been received as rude, I wasn't meaning to offend you and I don't know how you took it.It's just that the distribution was so so wrong that it was screaming and honestly I found it funny.I wasn't mocking you personally Smile

They've done studies you know...60% of the time, it works every time
11-23-2019 5:28 PM
Marcus Antonius
Contributes Regularly

Rep Post

11-24-2019 6:25 AM

Don't worry, I'm far from being offend. You were right. That's whats disputes for: to come collectively closer to the truth.
I'm fine if people find flaws in my thinking - live is constant learning. An I'm not a expert in that field but an interested layman, so I'm really fine with being corrected. I once was estimating in my real field of work some physical effect and was proven to be off by 6 orders of magnitude - I found it hillarious funny to be so far off.
My ego is not harmed by making errors, it would be harmed if I would stop trying something which could go wrong.

Best Regards, MA
11-24-2019 6:25 AM
stefdude

Rep Post

11-29-2019 4:30 AM

Not flawed thinking at all, just a mistake.I don't expect people to believe me but I feel satisfaction when someone points out mistakes in my beliefs or thinking.At all times I'm willing to let go of even core beliefs for truth's sake and I much prefer to stay ignorant about hard issues than make convincing assumptions.

Cheers!

They've done studies you know...60% of the time, it works every time
11-29-2019 4:30 AM

Share This Thread