Hello There, Guest! Register

1 user browsing this thread: (0 members, and 1 guest).

Wim Hof Method
MMM

Sex: Male

Rep Post

RE: Wim Hof Method
10-29-2015 8:28 AM

(10-28-2015 6:57 PM)theLaw Wrote:  Just be careful..........Wim Hof is losing his hair, which might be related to ongoing stress from his exercises.

..........on the other hand, he does appear to have a bunch of lab results to back up his health claims.Wacko

I was going to say, no matter what he's doing, it's not helping him look any better! mooning

I am MORE than a sausage with feet, but you, Miss, since you're sexy, you can treat me as such if you want! ALL NIGHT LONG!! Preved
10-29-2015 8:28 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NP17
Minor deity

Rep Post

10-29-2015 4:17 PM

OK I see now that when you're doing the balloon breaths, you don't push all the air out on he exhale. You just let your lungs go back to a neutral pressure. It's way more effective that way. My skin tingles for a few minutes after just a few breaths doing it that way.
10-29-2015 4:17 PM

SuperJoy

Rep Post

10-29-2015 6:48 PM

Fascinating guy. The was interesting as hell. The vice doc is cool and the reporter definitely hiked that mountain in a snow storm in Poland but he looked unhappy about it and might be from a cold weather state and used to it.

Can you guys CCP what protocol you are using please? I'm into meditation and different breathing techniques for sure.

I used this and I'm not getting the same results. I tried it in the bath tub this morning. I've been sick for close to two weeks now and I did feel better after. I did the scan thing while I was breathing and focused on my whole body cause I'm kinda sick all over.
10-29-2015 6:48 PM
NP17
Minor deity

Rep Post

10-30-2015 4:47 AM

(10-29-2015 6:48 PM)SuperJoy Wrote:  Fascinating guy. The was interesting as hell. The vice doc is cool and the reporter definitely hiked that mountain in a snow storm in Poland but he looked unhappy about it and might be from a cold weather state and used to it.

Can you guys CCP what protocol you are using please? I'm into meditation and different breathing techniques for sure.

I used this and I'm not getting the same results. I tried it in the bath tub this morning. I've been sick for close to two weeks now and I did feel better after. I did the scan thing while I was breathing and focused on my whole body cause I'm kinda sick all over.

I'm not totally clear either on what to do, but I definitely feel it, so I can give you some options to experiment with. I have watched part of the Joe Rogan interview, the Vice documentary, and read the highexistence article. This is sort of an agglomeration of things from all those sources plus my personal tweaks which I don't know are beneficial or not yet.

Start by doing the 30 breaths. The point is to hyperventilate here. It boosts your blood oxygen very high.

[Actually, what I've heard about hyperventilation from other sources is that hyperventilating lowers cellular O2 because of the Bohr effect, contrary to what Wim Hof says in the Joe Rogan interview.]

Breath in as deeply as you can, pushing your stomach out and make sure you get a fullness in your upper chest. You can also check muscles around your ribs and sides to make sure those are expanded as much as possible.

As for breathing out, sometimes he says to "let the air go," but I've been blowing the air out like I'm blowing up a balloon. This increases the pressure in your lungs and forces oxygen into your blood. Also, instead of breathing out halfway and in fully, I've been experimenting with breathing out all the way. I'm not sure what is better but I'm going to do a trial where I time how much I can hold my breath doing both methods and see which one is better.

Also, in the videos he's doing the balloon breaths relatively slowly, and I want to experiment with doing them as fast as possible to see if it gives a greater effect.

Now I blow all my breath out (not sure if I'm supposed to do that) and hold my breath for as long as possible. This is when I do the body scan. FOCUS. Literally feel what you want to feel. Use your will to feel like you're warm and filled with energy all over.

When it starts to get painful, I breath in as much as I can and hold it for a little while.

You should really feel it after 1 round, but 2 or 3 rounds really get me going. It's tough, but you should feel it without a doubt. At first you start to tingle all over especially your lips and ears, then eventually you get this "lower consciousness" where you can feel physical sensations with particular clarity.

Some of the adaptations I'm doing seem to increase the hyperventilation effect, but I don't know if that's desirable at this point. I still think there's some confusion about what's going on physiologically and why it's beneficial. It might be triggering an adaptation, and that brings the real benefits, instead of the breathing actually being beneficial in itself physiologically.
10-30-2015 4:47 AM
SuperJoy

Rep Post

10-30-2015 10:50 PM

Appreciate the write up NP! Thats just about what Im doing but I only did one round. Didn't know that.

I'll try a couple of times tonight and see what happens.
10-30-2015 10:50 PM
NP17
Minor deity

Rep Post

10-31-2015 1:22 AM

(10-30-2015 10:50 PM)SuperJoy Wrote:  Appreciate the write up NP! Thats just about what Im doing but I only did one round. Didn't know that.

I'll try a couple of times tonight and see what happens.

Yeah I read the highexistence article again since writing that and experimented with a few things. You might want to do that because the article makes a lot more sense after trying it a few times. I find what's written in the article works the best. Yes, you have to do a few rounds to start seeing lights and for it to get really scary.
10-31-2015 1:22 AM

NP17
Minor deity

Rep Post

11-06-2015 7:01 AM

I'm still experimenting with this. I feel that most of the major benefits he describes come with more extreme cold exposure and longer durations of doing the breathing exercises, like 1 hour. But I'm building up slowly.

I find the best method for the balloon breaths is to breathe in as much as you can and then breathe out as much as you can. Don't sacrifice depth of breathing for speed. Breathing out halfway doesn't seem to be as effective, at least in terms of creating light-headedness, tingling sensations, giddiness, physical self-awareness, or energy.

Then just blow all your breath out and hold it for as long as possible. Breathing in and out fully don't seem to increase the time I can hold my breath for, however. But it doesn't seem to decrease it, either. I can only hold it for 60-70 seconds. I do the balloon breaths for 45 seconds. Then after holding my breath out, I breathe in fully and hold it for about 20 seconds until I recover.

Also, Ray Peat says that you can increase blood CO2 by drinking carbonated water or baking soda. If that's true, you should be able to dramatically increase cellular O2 by doing the breathing exercises with increased CO2 because of the Bohr effect. I tried the carbonated water, but it disrupts the breathing exercises because it makes me burp. I will try baking soda in the future, but it makes me gassy, so I'm not jumping at the chance to do that. I just want to put that out there for anyone interested in experimenting with that.

Don't neglect the warm-up, either. If I try to do the balloon breaths without warming up, my body says, "Idiot, what are you doing? That's too much!" And I just can't do the breaths. Start by holding your breath as long as possible to make yourself hungry for it. This also gets me started if I don't feel like doing it. It's tough!

Biggest benefit so far has been very vivid dreams if I do it at night. But I'm only doing 10 minutes a day. Maybe I should do something like 30 or 40 minutes and see if I can make something happen.
11-06-2015 7:01 AM

Share This Thread