Hello There, Guest! Register

1 user browsing this thread: (0 members, and 1 guest).

Why this forum exists
mark-in-dallas
Nobody at all

Sex: Male

Rep Post

Why this forum exists
08-10-2009 12:44 AM

This forum was conceived by several long time pheromone users, who realized that there really wasn't a truly uncensored forum on the net where pheromone users and enthusiasts could post freely about any and all things pheromone related, without having to worry about their posts being edited or deleted.

We are not a pheromone supplier, and this forum does not exist to sell pheromone products! For this reason, we welcome members to post information on any pheromone product they have tried, or are seeking information on. You are also welcome to post links to websites that sell pheromone products in the "Where to buy Pheromones" forum.

We will never censor a post for content, spelling or grammar, and we will never delete a post for mentioning a legitimate product or seeking information on a product. The exception to these rules are posts that are made with the intent of highjhacking a thread or that do not contribute to the spirit of the thread and are made solely for self serving purposes. The only cause for censorship in this forum is making slanderous or liable statements toward ANY individual, and abusive or offensive behavior. This will result in the thread or post being deleted and the offending member receiving a warning, or in severe cases being outright banned from the forum.

And, while any forum does require a certain amount of moderation, we promise to keep the level of moderation to an absolute minimum. Moderating only as necessary to keep the harmony of the forum true.

As long as you are courteous and respectful of other members and not spamming the forum, you are free to post on or about anything, without fear of censorship, moderation or reprisals.

Our intent is to make this forum the most enjoyable and truthful site on the net to discuss pheromones and any and all things related.

Come on in, register, introduce yourself and start making new friends, or reconnecting with old ones.

Warmest wishes to all,

Mark

The older I get the less threatening a life sentence sounds

Sympathy for the Devil only results in victimized angels.
(This post was last modified: 08-16-2009 3:21 PM by mark-in-dallas.)
08-10-2009 12:44 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Mtnjim
Curmudgen

Rep Post

RE: Why this forum exists
08-13-2009 6:01 PM

I think something happens to forums when they reach a certain size, where they lose the "family" feeling and certain segments become abusive. I saw that happen at Love Scent and there were mass bannings of abusers in an attempt to save the forum. Some of the arguments were stupid (for a pheromone forum) things like pro/anti Israel arguments, a lot of anti female postings that drove away most of the female posters, and the like. Lots of these types of issues did so much damage to the forum it never recovered. When I first joined the Pherotalk forum, it was fairly new and you would see maybe a dozen posts a day there. I would engage in PM conversations with Michael Harris and Jasmine on an almost daily basis. Then the forum took off and became the forum that Love Scent used to be. I think that it is now big and busy enough, mostly dilatants and a few "family members", to be approaching that tipping point I mentioned. It's still a fairly good forum, but I think we will soon see that downward spiral, and like a supernova, all that will be left will be the cinders of a forum and a massive gravity hole, the store. Like Love Scent is today.

Of course, I could be completely off base with my theory.

Jim

To stay young requires unceasing cultivation of the ability to unlearn old falsehoods.
---Lazerous Long
(This post was last modified: 08-14-2009 4:20 PM by Mtnjim.)
08-13-2009 6:01 PM
Gegogi
Yikes! Cupcakes 'n Bondage

Rep Post

08-21-2009 1:04 AM

I think Jim nailed it. I was a Love Scent member during the mass excommunication of members. The Love Scent kahuna was reckless/desperate and threw out the baby with the bath water. The forum lord managed to censor the forum but gained control of an empty shell. Everybody moved over to PheroTalk. And now the big wheel keeps on turning...

Ah don't wanna pickle...just wanna ride mah motosickle! Twisted
08-21-2009 1:04 AM
jvkohl
Expert

09-08-2009 10:18 PM

From 6/1/2002 until 2/18/08 I posted 1131 times to the Love-Scent Forum; I was a regular contributor who thought participants should be able to learn about the science of human pheromones. But, I had problems with one of Bruce's moderators on the Forum, who argued against my position, and also supported statements made by anonymous others. In my own words to belgareth: Different philosophical approaches to science are very old, but also have a huge impact on what we learn about pheromones; who we learn it from; and the significance of what we learn.

Belgareth had publically applauded the integrity of the anonymous "Bubba" on 2/16/07. Further, I surmised that both belgareth and "Bubba" were taught to believe in a "soft" science philosophical approach, which contrasted my "hard" science philosophical approach. Belgareth seemed to take my hard science approach as a personal criticism of him and the anonymous "Bubba". Though Bruce admitted he didn't understand the science, he took a back seat while DrSmellThis and others anonymously presented their unsubstantiated and unscientific opinions.

I had elaborated to belgareth: "Philosophical approaches to science are as unlikely to change as any other belief system. But learning more helps with change. What I'm trying to learn more about and help to teach others, is that philosophical approaches should not be the main criteria used either to interpret what is being said, or to judge the merits of research. By applauding Bubba's scientific integrity, I think you did more than referee the discussion. The philosophy of science (among warring factions) is very much pheromone-related. It is important to study design, significance of findings, and trust in the interpretation of results--among other aspects of pheromone research (i.e., the section of this Forum that might be best suited for my posts)." Then suddenly, I became a "banned user" of the Love Scent Forum.

Since my last post to the "Pheromone Research" section of the Love-Scent forum on there have been 4 threads started in the research section. Between 12/5/2004 and the date when I was banned, I started approximately 60 threads. This makes it obvious to me that the folks at Love-Scent are not at all interested in the science of human pheromones. Without that science, in my opinion, they lack credibility, and have gone the route of other marketers who seek only to greedily grab profits from unsuspecting customers who believe whatever is told to them by whoever tells it, even anonymous Bubba's.

I have allowed Love-Scent to exclusively market the Scent of Eros products despite my disapproval, because I do not want to take on the burden of marketing anything; I'm a scientist. Meanwhile, colleagues and I have presented results at scientific conferences that show the active ingredients in Scent of Eros (men) positively influence the videotaped/measured flirtatious behaviors of women, and also positively influence their self-reported level of attraction. Other studies are in progress, but I realize now that no matter what is scientifically accomplished, or who accomplishes it, marketers will continue to bastardize the concept for their personal gain. That's what marketers do, isn't it?

I am very pleased to see that this group of people who have demonstrated their long-standing interest in human pheromones has banded together here to allow for the integration of science with anecdotal evidence. Obviously, no matter what the scientists say, if product users are not satisfied with their results, the anecdotal evidence will sway future pheromone enthusiasts in the right direction (i.e., towards predictable results).

When the science and the anecdotal evidence both support predictable results, we can better be sure that progress will be made. In this regard, after many months without updates to my domains, I have begun the process of bringing the information current, both for other scientists: and for product users:

Until recently, I neglected updates because I thought they were meaningless in the face of oft-repeated marketing claims (e.g., about the human VNO).

I will post a notice to this Forum when the updates are complete. I look forward to discussing the truth about human pheromones.

James V. Kohl
author/creator: The Scent of Eros
09-08-2009 10:18 PM
cosmomac
Getting comfortable

Rep Post

03-13-2010 1:25 AM

The two things that jumped off the screen for me re JK's post are:

A) Meanwhile, colleagues and I have presented results at scientific conferences that show the active ingredients in Scent of Eros (men) positively influence the videotaped/measured flirtatious behaviors of women, and also positively influence their self-reported level of attraction.
Until recently,

and

B) I neglected updates because I thought they were meaningless in the face of oft-repeated marketing claims (e.g., about the human VNO).

====================================

A) Wow. Do you present that on your site? (Would love to see a scientific
take on flirting!) That's too damn cool.

B) Wow again. Are you saying human VNO is a myth? (And also, Wow in that a scientist making such is a statement is not saying that human sex pheromones in general is not also a myth.

How are human sex pheromones perceived if not via "the VNO"?

(This post was last modified: 03-14-2010 10:49 AM by cosmomac.)
03-13-2010 1:25 AM

Gegogi

Rep Post

03-13-2010 3:18 AM

Quote:How are human sex pheromones perceived if not via "the VNO"?

It's old news and been hashed a zillion times on Love Scent, PTalk, etc., but moans work through the sense of smell. The VNO is nonfunctional in humans.

03-13-2010 3:18 AM
Gone with the Wind
Pheromone Wraith

Rep Post

03-13-2010 10:38 AM

Humans tend to label things "non-functional" when they don't understand the function. I often hesitate to accept such broad pronouncements.

Gone with the Wind

<p align="center">Gate, gate, paragate, parasamgate. Bodhi svaha!</p>
03-13-2010 10:38 AM
Gegogi

Rep Post

03-13-2010 12:46 PM

I was referring to it's role as a moan receptor, not it's evolutionary legacy or non-moan use. It lacks nerves connecting to the brain and thus is as functional as the tiny legs on snakes. Perhaps it serves some other function? Some organs serve a temporary use during gestation and recede after birth.

(This post was last modified: 03-13-2010 12:48 PM by Gegogi.)
03-13-2010 12:46 PM
cosmomac
Getting comfortable

Rep Post

03-14-2010 10:53 AM

Well I hate to decimate misinfo so thanks to you both for giving me the skinny on the human VNO status.

03-14-2010 10:53 AM
Mtnjim
Curmudgen

Rep Post

03-15-2010 3:59 PM

I still say Cranial Nerve 0 serves the function of the VNO!!:good3:

To stay young requires unceasing cultivation of the ability to unlearn old falsehoods.
---Lazerous Long
03-15-2010 3:59 PM

Share This Thread