Hello There, Guest! Register

1 user browsing this thread: (0 members, and 1 guest).

Use HTTPS Pretty Please?
ppHamelin
Contributes Regularly

Sex:

Rep Post

Use HTTPS Pretty Please?
06-07-2017 6:35 AM

This might not be the right subject heading but I can't create new thread under the forum suggestion.

But could we have https enabled on the forum please?

Long story short, I had to share my network with a relative stranger for a while.
But the guy is an expert and he knows his way around computers. I want to hide my mone related activities from him at all cost. Then I realized the forum is not using https Dodgy

But yeah without it then your stuff is pretty much an open book. I'm pretty sure other forum members would also appreciate this privacy feature.
06-07-2017 6:35 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mark-in-dallas
Administrator

Sex: Male

RE: Use HTTPS Pretty Please?
06-07-2017 6:58 AM

Sorry, but moving the site to https would generate warning messages on hundreds of pages and posts where members had linked to other sites and images.

Sympathy for the Devil only results in victimized angels.

Life is a sexually transmitted disease, with a guaranteed 100% fatality rate
06-07-2017 6:58 AM
jb20

Sex: Often Please

Rep Post

06-07-2017 9:19 AM

Just use a proxy or a vpnSun bespectacled
06-07-2017 9:19 AM
P4yn3
Getting comfortable

Sex:

Rep Post

08-04-2017 5:20 PM

Or try incognito mode on Chrome if you're really desperate.
08-04-2017 5:20 PM

BarefootOxford
Serious Poster

Rep Post

08-05-2017 10:59 AM

(08-04-2017 5:20 PM)P4yn3 Wrote:  Or try incognito mode on Chrome if you're really desperate.

Incognito mode won't hide your traffic from a network professional. Neither will HTTPS, because it is simplicity to get the URLs of a particular IP address.

If you want to hide your crawling from snoopers, which now include your ISPs in the US, get a VPN, get the VPN extension for your browser, and use it.
08-05-2017 10:59 AM
mark-in-dallas
Administrator

08-05-2017 11:18 AM

He is concerned about hiding his activities from someone on a shared network. A VPN, Proxy or Incognito will not do so because all traffic in and out of the computer still passes through the Router. HTTPS does encrypt all data send between a browser and a website, but the I.P. address is still available.

08-05-2017 11:18 AM
Arsenic
Serious Poster

Sex:

Rep Post

08-05-2017 3:53 PM

Sharing your network with a relative stranger.... hmm. Most routers these days Allow you to create a guest network. Do that. He's your guest. Keep your shit separate.

Current Loot (2019)
LAL: AlphaQ, BW, DP, Nude, NA, Passion Copulin, Wolf
PSX: Evolve, Ascend
Alpha Dream:Glace, Alpha Maschio
Apex: TUSC, C36

Journey into my mind
08-05-2017 3:53 PM
BarefootOxford
Serious Poster

Rep Post

08-06-2017 7:33 AM

(08-05-2017 11:18 AM)mark-in-dallas Wrote:  He is concerned about hiding his activities from someone on a shared network. A VPN, Proxy or Incognito will not do so because all traffic in and out of the computer still passes through the Router. HTTPS does encrypt all data send between a browser and a website, but the I.P. address is still available.

Mark, either I'm misunderstanding you, or you're incorrect about VPNs.

A VPN will conceal all traffic inside of an encrypted tunnel, so the router doesn't see the IP or URL of the sites you're using. The packets will only reveal the IP addresses of the VPN endpoints (your computer and the VPN host). From that, the stranger-guest cannot derive any useful information about the OP's PheroTruth usage by sniffing the network.

An HTTP proxy would not conceal anything: the URL request is transmitted unencrypted, and will be easily viewed by someone sniffing the network. An HTTPS proxy will hide some of the traffic, but is unreliable because many sites use scripts that ignore proxy settings.

You are correct about Incognito: that won't help a bit with network sniffing.
08-06-2017 7:33 AM

mark-in-dallas
Administrator

08-06-2017 11:50 AM

(08-06-2017 7:33 AM)BarefootOxford Wrote:  Mark, either I'm misunderstanding you, or you're incorrect about VPNs.

A VPN will conceal all traffic inside of an encrypted tunnel, so the router doesn't see the IP or URL of the sites you're using. The packets will only reveal the IP addresses of the VPN endpoints (your computer and the VPN host). From that, the stranger-guest cannot derive any useful information about the OP's PheroTruth usage by sniffing the network.

My bad, you are right about VPN's. Not quote sure what I was thinking when I posted that. Fool

08-06-2017 11:50 AM
Devin1Neil
Getting comfortable

Sex: Often Please

Rep Post

07-11-2019 10:30 AM

Yeah i'm gonna revive this thread, wouldn't using HSTS allow us to go to HTTPS without breaking everything? There's gotta be a way to get this fourm out of 2007, and i'd certainly like it to be slightly harder for any potential nefarious person to spy on users.

Also admins please close your CPanel port unless its a trusted IP, literally dozens of exploits one could use to get access to the servers.

If I fart am I shitting in someone's nose? well on a molecular level I guess I am.

~alphavitea 8/2/2013

Don't wear phero's around your family, that is unless you're into that sort of thing
07-11-2019 10:30 AM

Share This Thread