Hello There, Guest! Register

1 user browsing this thread: (0 members, and 1 guest).

Touching this receipt might make you fat--obesogens
CG_Jung
phero-dabbler

Sex: Male

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 205
Thanks received:
121 thanks in 44 posts

Touching this receipt might make you fat--obesogens
06-04-2012 7:42 PM

I have no scientific background, but this recent article raises some troubling questions:

For instance, everyday products containing BPA, triclosan, phthalates (these would be in your cover scents), etc., affect hormones and endocrine systems in a negative way that can lead to weight gain. See also, e.g., ; .

If anyone would an appropriate background could weigh in on this, it may be helpful and appreciated. Also, I want to know if it's worth it with all the looks and reactions I've been getting lately refusing to take receipts. Pretty hilarious social experiment--people do not know what to do and get upset if you refuse to take a rather meaningless receipt (as an example, a $2.54 drink and gum from CVS).

In the (pared-down) rotation: Wolf, AV, Glace, AM, 9+0; Dior Homme, Dior Homme Intense, Acqua di Gio, Incense: Avignon, Jicky.

Journal
06-04-2012 7:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

wiserd
I'm so meta, even this acronym

Sex: Male

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 1630
Thanks received:
1441 thanks in 737 posts

RE: Touching this receipt might make you fat--obesogens
06-05-2012 4:48 AM

(06-04-2012 7:42 PM)CG_Jung Wrote:  I have no scientific background, but this recent article raises some troubling questions:

For instance, everyday products containing BPA, triclosan, phthalates (these would be in your cover scents), etc., affect hormones and endocrine systems in a negative way that can lead to weight gain. See also, e.g., ; .

If anyone would an appropriate background could weigh in on this, it may be helpful and appreciated. Also, I want to know if it's worth it with all the looks and reactions I've been getting lately refusing to take receipts. Pretty hilarious social experiment--people do not know what to do and get upset if you refuse to take a rather meaningless receipt (as an example, a $2.54 drink and gum from CVS).

1. Bisphenol-A is unpleasant stuff. A lot of the linings of metal cans have it.

2. While environmental estrogens may contribute to the current obesity epidemic, there are other factors which are often given less emphasis, possibly because of people's political biases. These include; microbial cause of weight gain (there are a number of instances where chemicals have been blamed for a particular health related effect in humans or animals and it turns out that microbes were the cause) and the recent decrease in smoking. Hydrogenated oils and an increase in consumption of processed foods probably also play a role.

Sometimes I wonder whether fertility treatments could also contribute. In the past, people with metabolic disorders were likely to be infertile. With the technology to get around that, perhaps we'll see an increase in metabolic disorders in this and future generations.

Personally, I get bad reactions to a lot of perfumes/colognes and prefer natural mixes. New Directions Aromatics has a decent selection of stuff, but I still need to get better at mixing.

[Image: Example.jpg]
06-05-2012 4:48 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Thanks given by CG_Jung

Share This Thread