Hello There, Guest! Register

1 user browsing this thread: (0 members, and 1 guest).

Taxpayers Now Insure Bank of America Gambling
mark-in-dallas
Nobody at all

Sex: Male

Rep Post

Taxpayers Now Insure Bank of America Gambling
10-24-2011 8:10 AM

Unfucking believable!

Bank of America's latest stunt is shifting derivatives in its Merrill investment-banking unit to its depository arm, which has access to the Fed discount window and is protected by the FDIC.

Why is B of A being allowed to shift these derivatives to it's depository arm? The is precisely the very thing Glass-Steagall was written to prevent.

And why would we want to prevent banks from doing so? Derivatives have a potential to blow up financial institutions and cause a hell of a lot of havoc. To allow BoA, or any other institution, to use it's depository arm as a vehicle to gamble trillions of dollars with is simply irresponsible at best.

Why now? how about probably because BoA's credit rating was just lowered another 2 points and the investors were worried and aksed them to safeguard their money.

So, what does this mean to you? It means that BoA's European derivatives are now going to be "backstopped" (i.e. supported) by U.S. taxpayers.

Just what I always wanted: to be the insurance company underwriting bad banking investments. Eek Ireful1

Link to

The older I get the less threatening a life sentence sounds

Sympathy for the Devil only results in victimized angels.
10-24-2011 8:10 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Share This Thread

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Tongue Hymmm, wtf? Only in America mark-in-dallas 2 1,915 03-07-2013 2:52 AM
Last Post: solidprice
  Bank Economics for Dummies mark-in-dallas 6 3,493 10-03-2012 8:30 PM
Last Post: TwistedOstrich
  Be a good Citizen, Open a New Bank Account mark-in-dallas 17 7,843 05-18-2010 12:07 PM
Last Post: Mtnjim