Hello There, Guest! Register

Or login with , or

1 user browsing this thread: (0 members, and 1 guest).

Strep and a cold going around - Feb 7th 2012
wiserd
I'm so meta, even this acronym

Sex: Male

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 1058
Thanks received:
1048 thanks in 523 posts

Strep and a cold going around - Feb 7th 2012
02-07-2012 1:43 PM

Since the people on these boards are a bit more likely than others to go hanging around large groups of people and possibly engaging them in other ways...

There's a very contagious case of strep as well as a cold going around recently. If you have a tickle in your throat, you'll probably need anti-biotics. Untreated strep can clear up on its own, but sometimes causes heart or kidney damage.

If you don't want to go to a doctor or can't afford one;

From wikipedia;
Quote:While conventional medicine is effective in treating strep throat, several alternative therapies exist for relieving the symptoms or treating the disease (Longe 2005). Goldenseal (Hydrastic canadensis) has an alkaloid chemical, berberine, that is believed to have antibiotic effects against streptococci bacteria, and may also help to prevent S. pyogenes from attaching to the throat lining (Longe 2006). Echinacea (Echinacea spp.) is a popular herb for fighting bacterial (and viral) infections by strengthening the immune system, and may interfere with the production of an enzyme (hyaluronidase) that helps the bacterium to grow and spread (Longe 2005). Garlic (Allium sativum) is believed to have antibiotic effects. Zinc and ginger (Zingibar officinale) are used to treat symptoms of sore throat, with zinc also strengthening the immune system and reducing throat inflammation and ginger having analgesic properties.

I've had more success with ginger than garlic so far. If you take ginger, you may want to mix it with a calcium source like milk to remove a little bit of the oxalic acid.

[Image: Example.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 02-07-2012 2:29 PM by wiserd.)
02-07-2012 1:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Thanks given by Grasshopper, mark-in-dallas

halo0073

Sex: Female

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 1420
Thanks received:
2769 thanks in 1323 posts

RE: Strep and a cold going around - Feb 7th 2012
02-07-2012 3:31 PM

I have had strep 2 times in the last 3 weeks as have my kids. And a cold. We are on the second round of anti-biotics. It's at near epidemic levels in my daughter's school.
02-07-2012 3:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Share This Thread