Hello There, Guest! Register

Or login with , or

1 user browsing this thread: (0 members, and 1 guest).

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Strangely, Samantha Brick is right
halo0073

Sex: Female

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 423
Thanks received:
977 thanks in 528 posts

RE: Strangely, Samantha Brick is right
04-05-2012 2:39 PM

I totally agree with Mara. We are not all like that at all. And i have female friends with all sorts of different levels of attractiveness...I treat them all the same, with respect.
04-05-2012 2:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pheroquirk
Contributes Regularly

Sex: Male

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 1109
Thanks received:
358 thanks in 153 posts

04-05-2012 2:44 PM

Nobody is criticizing all women. It is just that when women behave badly they do so in distinctively feminine ways - just as when men behave badly, they behave badly in distinctively masculine ways. Losing sight of the possible kinds of dysfunction, or pretending that it never occurs leads those in charge of governing group behaviour at higher risk of overlooking these kinds of patterns.

BTW I have heard similar things in the past and when younger from girlfriends working in certain kinds of office environments.
04-05-2012 2:44 PM
Thanks given by Planchet
dbot
Street Psychologist

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 1916
Thanks received:
1832 thanks in 793 posts

04-05-2012 2:52 PM

She has a self-fulfilling prophecy on her hands. She's built up a philosophy around superficiality and social Darwinism, thereby introducing us all to the frame within which we are to interpret her. I know less attractive women who I am less compelled to judge by appearance. Everybody gets the Timothy Leary that they deserve.

⇒ - Reference to pheromone products & molecules
⇒ - Use the code, not the name
∴ ∴ A2=enone ⋅ A3=anol ⋅ A4=bnol ⋅ A5=rone
∴ ∴ A6=epi-rone ⋅ A7=DHEA ⋅ A8=DHEAS ⋅ A9=7-keto
∴ ∴ A10=anone ⋅ A11=beta-anol ⋅ B1=neno ⋅ E1=EST
∴ ∴ E2=MEO-nol ⋅ E4=MEO-EST
04-05-2012 2:52 PM

Planchet
Checking out the place

Sex:

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 12
Thanks received:
19 thanks in 11 posts

04-05-2012 2:58 PM

(04-05-2012 2:44 PM)Pheroquirk Wrote:  Nobody is criticizing all women. It is just that when women behave badly they do so in distinctively feminine ways - just as when men behave badly, they behave badly in distinctively masculine ways. Losing sight of the possible kinds of dysfunction, or pretending that it never occurs leads those in charge of governing group behaviour at higher risk of overlooking these kinds of patterns.

BTW I have heard similar things in the past and when younger from girlfriends working in certain kinds of office environments.

Yes, I think this is absolutely right and have come across examples myself a number of times.
04-05-2012 2:58 PM
AlternativeGirl
Contributes Regularly

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 71
Thanks received:
95 thanks in 53 posts

04-05-2012 3:37 PM

Is it nature or nurture? Does stereotyping women in this way influence the behaviors of young women in our society and perpetuate this behavior? If you study matriarchal societies in other cultures, their practices are very different from ours. And women in cultures where polygyny (polygamy specifically involving multiple female huseholds/ relationships) behave very differently from women in our society. Their mindset influences their behavior differently.
04-05-2012 3:37 PM
Pheroquirk
Contributes Regularly

Rep Post

Thanks received:
358 thanks in 153 posts

04-05-2012 4:12 PM

Would you mind if I asked you to highlight the sentences where she stereotyped women? Her article struck me as immensely solipsistic, giving no thought to how she would be perceived and having no frontal-lobe distancing in how she looked at her situation.

BTW I don't think stereotypes are necessarily a bad thing. One has to have prior assessments about the nature of the world otherwise it is impossible to act. What is a bad thing is being undiscerning and not updating one's assessment of somebody in the light of how they as an individual are (as compared to how people of their kind are).

I note that the work of Margaret Mead has been rather discredited; there are no doubt some interesting insights to be obtained from various studies of natural history and anthropology, but one ought not to pretend that female behaviour observed en masse in the West does tend to show some common features, not all of which may be pretty. (Just as male behaviour observed en masse in the West does show some common features, not all of which may be pretty).

Has no woman here ever observed jealousy from wearing cops?
04-05-2012 4:12 PM
Thanks given by Synergist
halo0073

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 423
Thanks received:
977 thanks in 528 posts

04-05-2012 4:17 PM

(04-05-2012 2:44 PM)Pheroquirk Wrote:  Nobody is criticizing all women. It is just that when women behave badly they do so in distinctively feminine ways - just as when men behave badly, they behave badly in distinctively masculine ways. Losing sight of the possible kinds of dysfunction, or pretending that it never occurs leads those in charge of governing group behaviour at higher risk of overlooking these kinds of patterns.

Oh I didn't take it as anyone criticizing women. And there are lots of women who absolutely behave this way, my only point is that it's not all women. Women can absolutely be assholes.
04-05-2012 4:17 PM
Thanks given by Pheroquirk

AlternativeGirl
Contributes Regularly

Rep Post

Thanks received:
95 thanks in 53 posts

04-05-2012 5:08 PM

I did not say I think it all to be nurture. I never think anything to be an either/ or in those regards. So many factors.

I also did not say she stereotyped all women. I just posed a question about steroetyping women (anyone for that matter).

She generalized how she perceived women react to her. That isn't exactly stereotyping. But it does remind me of the placebo effect.

Either way, I respect your opinion. It's all very fun to roll it around in my head.
04-05-2012 5:08 PM
Pheroquirk
Contributes Regularly

Rep Post

Thanks received:
358 thanks in 153 posts

04-05-2012 5:31 PM

When you wear copulins to work and socially, do you not on occasion see behaviour rather similar to what the esteemed Ms Brick describes?
04-05-2012 5:31 PM
AlternativeGirl
Contributes Regularly

Rep Post

Thanks received:
95 thanks in 53 posts

04-06-2012 9:06 AM

I can't say that I've seen this sort of behavior when wearing cops, but I haven't really worn cops to work all that much. Instant Sexiness A & B were said to have 'trace' amounts of cops. Harris made it seem like they were trivial to the mix.

I did wear these to work when I worked at an office at a baseball stadium. In the office there were four other women and one guy. We worked nine to ten hours a day/ night- sometimes ten days straight.

I was not in the office all the time because my job required quality control all around the stadium and then doing some paperwork in the office. But, I never experienced any cattiness from these wonderful people. We were all very close. We would bring all sorts of food in for eachother, talk about our lives, be emotionally supportive to eachother.

The two younger single girls and I went out from time to time to drink and play pool on days off. When one of them decided to move, I spent days and hours with her helping her go through all of her emotionally loaded memories that came up while having to go through all of her stuff. We were all really tight. I moved after the end of the baseball season myself, but I kept in touch with those two for a while and still look them up when I am in either of their cities.

I do have a overly optimistic tendency to expect the best in people. I'm sure this taints my findings. But it also brings out the best in people.

Either way, thanks for the heads up. I didn't plan on wearing cops to work or when hanging out with women, but if I did, i would reconsider it, I guess.
04-06-2012 9:06 AM

Share This Thread