Hello There, Guest! Register

1 user browsing this thread: (0 members, and 1 guest).

Spoiled lime oil?
wiserd
I'm so meta, even this acronym

Sex: Male

Rep Post

Spoiled lime oil?
06-17-2017 8:56 PM

I have some essential lime oil. It has a camphorous smell. I've kept it in my garage for a year or two and the bottle has been exposed to a fair bit of heat, but not light. I'm worried it may have formed peroxides. I've read that the shelf life of lime oil is about 18 months, because of this tendency.

Should I throw it out?

[Image: Example.jpg]
06-17-2017 8:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DrChocolate
Learner and observer

Rep Post

RE: Spoiled lime oil?
06-18-2017 3:02 AM

(06-17-2017 8:56 PM)wiserd Wrote:  I have some essential lime oil. It has a camphorous smell. I've kept it in my garage for a year or two and the bottle has been exposed to a fair bit of heat, but not light. I'm worried it may have formed peroxides. I've read that the shelf life of lime oil is about 18 months, because of this tendency.

Should I throw it out?

Try it anyway before throwing it out.
06-18-2017 3:02 AM
wiserd

Rep Post

06-19-2017 12:39 AM

(06-18-2017 3:02 AM)DrChocolate Wrote:  Try it anyway before throwing it out.

Aside from smelling it, how would one 'try it?'

06-19-2017 12:39 AM
DrChocolate
Learner and observer

Rep Post

06-19-2017 12:48 AM

(06-19-2017 12:39 AM)wiserd Wrote:  Aside from smelling it, how would one 'try it?'

Yep. Smell it and see if it's foul or not. If not, mix it with a few of ur aquatic colognes. Make small batches in sample spray bottles. See if ya like the smell or not. If not, throw it out.

What was the intended purpose of getting it in the first place if ya don't mind me asking Wiserd. Smile
06-19-2017 12:48 AM

wiserd

Rep Post

06-19-2017 1:22 AM

(06-19-2017 12:48 AM)DrChocolate Wrote:  Yep. Smell it and see if it's foul or not. If not, mix it with a few of ur aquatic colognes. Make small batches in sample spray bottles. See if ya like the smell or not. If not, throw it out.

What was the intended purpose of getting it in the first place if ya don't mind me asking Wiserd. Smile

I like to make cologne.

Lime oil is a very common top note in various colognes, used to mask less appetitive scents. If you put orange oil on your skin, you'll smell like an orange. But if you put lime oil on your skin, the scent tends to blend very nicely with one's natural human scent to give a 'fresher' smell.

I was kindof second-guessing myself in terms of whether it went bad or not. I think at this point I may just toss it and just stick to slicing some lime peel fresh, so I don't have to buy the stuff and worry about it going bad. Though I'm also thinking of what I might be able to add to prevent scents from going bad, or even recover them if they've turned.

(This post was last modified: 06-19-2017 1:35 AM by wiserd.)
06-19-2017 1:22 AM
GoergeFocky
Serious Poster

Rep Post

06-19-2017 3:06 AM

Those citric EOs go off sometimes, if it was oxidized already just a little bit when you got it, the reaction will then accelerate. If it smells very terpenic, it's "off" - won't smell too good in a cologne and should no longer be apllied on skin.

You can still use it for cleaning though!
06-19-2017 3:06 AM
DarkLord1

Rep Post

06-19-2017 3:48 PM

(06-19-2017 1:22 AM)wiserd Wrote:  I like to make cologne.

Lime oil is a very common top note in various colognes, used to mask less appetitive scents. If you put orange oil on your skin, you'll smell like an orange. But if you put lime oil on your skin, the scent tends to blend very nicely with one's natural human scent to give a 'fresher' smell.

I was kindof second-guessing myself in terms of whether it went bad or not. I think at this point I may just toss it and just stick to slicing some lime peel fresh, so I don't have to buy the stuff and worry about it going bad. Though I'm also thinking of what I might be able to add to prevent scents from going bad, or even recover them if they've turned.

Very interesting....I have some limes and will try to play with this.....How do you use the lime juice when you wear pheromones?

IE.im assuming you wear it next to the pheromone app.
06-19-2017 3:48 PM
wiserd

Rep Post

06-19-2017 7:58 PM

(06-19-2017 3:48 PM)DarkLord1 Wrote:  Very interesting....I have some limes and will try to play with this.....How do you use the lime juice when you wear pheromones?

IE.im assuming you wear it next to the pheromone app.

For the sake of simplicity I try to keep pheromone mixes and scent mixes separate. Usually, I put some absorbant material in a 1ml vial in my pocket and close the vial as needed. This isn't a great method in terms of effectiveness, but it helps reduce skin absorption, over-exposure, etc.

Since my essential lime oil went off, I've been just taking a slice of fresh lime peel and applying it directly to my skin or keeping the peels in a sachet in my pocket. There's nothing like fresh.

06-19-2017 7:58 PM

Jimmycrack
Serious Poster

Sex:

Rep Post

06-20-2017 6:58 PM

(06-19-2017 7:58 PM)wiserd Wrote:  For the sake of simplicity I try to keep pheromone mixes and scent mixes separate. Usually, I put some absorbant material in a 1ml vial in my pocket and close the vial as needed. This isn't a great method in terms of effectiveness, but it helps reduce skin absorption, over-exposure, etc.

Since my essential lime oil went off, I've been just taking a slice of fresh lime peel and applying it directly to my skin or keeping the peels in a sachet in my pocket. There's nothing like fresh.

Ah a fellow lime fan. I find it so refreshing. I blend it with Creed's OV. It picks me up mentally and calms me too. Too much seems to turn women off - like a cleaning agent smell. But I can never have too much. I didn't know it could turn. I've been considering a briny blend with lime... calone, salt, liminol/lime, vetiver, titch of musk and cocounut. Here's to the limey bastards!
06-20-2017 6:58 PM
DrChocolate
Learner and observer

Rep Post

06-20-2017 9:11 PM

Do u guys mix the essential oils with Perfumers alcohol or Isopropanol?

Been testing with Isopropanol and it seems to diffuse like a monster. But longevity is short. Which I don't mind. But just wanned to check if others use it undiluted. Just Isopropanol 100%.

Also, Isopropanol mixed with oil phero products (inside a sample sprayer bottle) on 50 50 ratio, seem to diffuse like sprays. (Am seeing positive results with NNPA oil for this matter)

But when mixed with spray phero products seem to minimize the strength and efficiency.

Have u guys tried it like that?

I think Ammo has played with them too. If u're reading this Ammo, could u please chime in for me thanks.

Edited to make it more clear.
(This post was last modified: 06-20-2017 9:15 PM by DrChocolate.)
06-20-2017 9:11 PM

Share This Thread