Hello There, Guest! Register

1 user browsing this thread: (0 members, and 1 guest).

Spike That Eggnog!
Bella
Away
Serious Poster

Sex: Female

Rep Post

Spike That Eggnog!
12-21-2009 3:50 PM

This subject comes up every year around this time. Ever since we became aware of salmonella in eggs, people have been wary of using them raw in the season's favorite libation.

I made eggnog for years, with raw eggs, before they started posting signs like this..."For your safety we are required to cook all our eggs well done, thank you for your understanding." Er, I like mine over easy, thank you, and I've never been poisoned by an egg. Maybe it's because I'm particular about what and where I eat or I've just been lucky. I also use to drink protein smoothies with a raw egg in 'em. Yeah, just call me Rocky.

Anyways, I would make up a batch of nog three weeks in advance and store it in the fridge. I left it in there for three weeks 'cause that seemed like the right amount of time to me, good thing...lol. I always though if there was anything growing in there that the booze would, somehow, kill it. Glad that's been confirmed.

Because of fear of salmonella contamination, I began cooking the eggs to a safe temperature so it would no longer be a concern. It was still good, just not as good as the one made with raw eggs.

BTW, fresh eggs don't float. :D

Cheers!

Bella

12-21-2009 3:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
renny
Serious Poster

Sex: Male

Rep Post

RE: Spike That Eggnog!
12-21-2009 4:04 PM

Oh Wow! Glad you mentioned this, I've been meaning to ask if Bella spiked her eggnog with Brandy, Bourbon, or Rum? I'm guessing rum but wouldn't be surprised if the sweetness of eggnog was better offset by bourbon. Metaxa is pretty good too!

The Androstenone Discussion
12-21-2009 4:04 PM
esmeralda
The Phero Faerie

Rep Post

12-22-2009 12:03 AM

I've never had a glass of eggnog...I've smelled it in lipbalms/perfumes (never liked the smell...so I can't imagine what it tastes like lol P)

But interesting little tid bit Bella, I've never eaten a raw egg either!!! :o lol
(This post was last modified: 12-22-2009 12:03 AM by esmeralda.)
12-22-2009 12:03 AM
Bella
Away
Serious Poster

Rep Post

12-22-2009 3:39 AM

(12-21-2009 4:04 PM)renny Wrote:   Oh Wow! Glad you mentioned this, I've been meaning to ask if Bella spiked her eggnog with Brandy, Bourbon, or Rum? I'm guessing rum but wouldn't be surprised if the sweetness of eggnog was better offset by bourbon.

Mmmmm, Greek brandy, that'd be yummy! I know a lot of people use brandy but I never have because Wolf isn't fond of it.  

You're right about the rum though, Appleton Special...and the bourbon, Wild Turkey 101...lol. I use both. :eek: That's not all, just between you&me...
... * looks both ways *... I also add, my never before divulged special super secret ingredient... * whispers *... a little SoCo. :D I happened onto that one year when I was a tad short of rum. A rare, tragic occurrence but it happens.

(12-22-2009 12:03 AM)esmeralda Wrote:  I've never had a glass of eggnog...I've smelled it in lipbalms/perfumes (never liked the smell...so I can't imagine what it tastes like lol P)

But interesting little tid bit Bella, I've never eaten a raw egg either!!! :o lol

No need to go there...lol. I think you'll do fine if ya skip both!

OK, so no eggnog for MsSelva... howzabout some pink champagne instead! :D

Bella

12-22-2009 3:39 AM
renny
Serious Poster

Sex: Male

Rep Post

12-22-2009 10:56 AM

,Well then a toast! Here's to rum, may it's absence always be sorely missed! To Southern Comfort, the baddest liqueur ever to cross the Mason Dixon line. To pink, need more be said? :P and to champagne, but let's save it for New Years!

The Androstenone Discussion
12-22-2009 10:56 AM

Share This Thread