Hello There, Guest! Register

1 user browsing this thread: (0 members, and 1 guest).

Morel Mushroom Hunting!
RTBoss
Olfactory Brainwashing Genius

Sex: Male

Rep Post

Morel Mushroom Hunting!
05-07-2015 11:28 AM

Anyone, like me, on the hunt? These mushrooms are amazing. They sell for $40-50 per pound at our local Farmer's Market, as they only grow for a short 4-7 weeks in the spring. They are gourmet, and delicious! Most batter and fry them up in butter.

The other day, I picked ***9 pounds***. Not as crazy of an amount as some - I've heard of people picking 140 lbs. in a season - but for a mushie noob like me, it was amazing! Here are some pics.

My Journal
05-07-2015 11:28 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cornfed
Contributes Regularly

Rep Post

RE: Morel Mushroom Hunting!
05-08-2015 11:24 AM

Nice find! I've been trying to get out to do some hunting. My relatives haven't had any luck, but I know a few friends who have had some good hauls lately. I once put a good amount of effort into developing a home grow. It's extremely difficult, but it's been accomplished - not feasible for any commercial bulk operation. There's a proven growing method on the patent books, though. An outdoor patch can take years before it actually starts producing mushrooms. Seems everyone has a favorite spot that's a fiercely guarded secret. They love decaying hardwoods, though, so if you know any long-disused orchards, you're really set. What sort of area were you hunting in?

Collection
Pheromone XS: Evolve, Cohesion oil
Pheromone XS Samples: Bliss, Ascend spray, SOB, Vibes, Cohesion spray, Ascend oil
Liquid Alchemy: Nude Alpha
Pheromone Treasures: Escape the Friendzone, Grail of Affection, Androstadienone oil
Androtics: Ammo, Turn Up The Heat
Alpha Dream: Glace
Love Potion: #9, Merlin's Blend, Homme, Excalibur, Teddy Man 2, Elementary Chapter 5, TMI, Super for Men II, Pashazade, Voracious
Love Scent: New New Pheromone Additive
05-08-2015 11:24 AM
RTBoss

Rep Post

05-08-2015 10:21 PM

(05-08-2015 11:24 AM)Cornfed Wrote:  Nice find! I've been trying to get out to do some hunting. My relatives haven't had any luck, but I know a few friends who have had some good hauls lately. I once put a good amount of effort into developing a home grow. It's extremely difficult, but it's been accomplished - not feasible for any commercial bulk operation. There's a proven growing method on the patent books, though. An outdoor patch can take years before it actually starts producing mushrooms. Seems everyone has a favorite spot that's a fiercely guarded secret. They love decaying hardwoods, though, so if you know any long-disused orchards, you're really set. What sort of area were you hunting in?

Yeah, I don't see growing anything in my yard happening, lol - besides, going out and looking is half the fun!

I hunt at a local lake about 3 or 4 blocks from my house. Lots of wooded area/hills. Areas I hit last year that were good were a bust this year, and looking in new areas yielded my haul from the other day. Went over the same area today and only nabbed another 6 or so (in about 40 minutes). I don't buy the theory that morels "pop up" overnight, otherwise after all the rain we've had, there would have been a bunch more in the 3 days since I picked that load.

I plan on expanding my searching/hunting in the coming years - as I stay at home with my son and work out of the home, it's easier for me to just get out and hunt whenever. I saw a guy on Craigslist asking to buy 40(!!) pounds. That's $800-1200 worth of mushrooms depending on how much you sell 'em for around here. I got more than I know what to do with, so I'm drying a bunch right now. Man, they taste good!

My Journal
(This post was last modified: 05-08-2015 10:22 PM by RTBoss.)
05-08-2015 10:21 PM
Cornfed
Contributes Regularly

Rep Post

05-10-2015 3:36 PM

Just got home from the farmer's market. There are two vendor stands up and selling them for $40/lb here as well. Sure was tempted, they looked delicious. But then, I could treat myself to lobster or king crab for less than that.

Collection
Pheromone XS: Evolve, Cohesion oil
Pheromone XS Samples: Bliss, Ascend spray, SOB, Vibes, Cohesion spray, Ascend oil
Liquid Alchemy: Nude Alpha
Pheromone Treasures: Escape the Friendzone, Grail of Affection, Androstadienone oil
Androtics: Ammo, Turn Up The Heat
Alpha Dream: Glace
Love Potion: #9, Merlin's Blend, Homme, Excalibur, Teddy Man 2, Elementary Chapter 5, TMI, Super for Men II, Pashazade, Voracious
Love Scent: New New Pheromone Additive
05-10-2015 3:36 PM
RTBoss

Rep Post

05-10-2015 8:36 PM

(05-10-2015 3:36 PM)Cornfed Wrote:  Just got home from the farmer's market. There are two vendor stands up and selling them for $40/lb here as well. Sure was tempted, they looked delicious. But then, I could treat myself to lobster or king crab for less than that.

Mmmm...love me some king crab!

It's just too easy to find Morels around here - I'd never pay, when it's just so much fun to go hunting for them and decent exercise to boot.

I just finished drying about 3 pounds. I couldn't even give away and eat all 9 pounds. Hoping the little suckers go well in my grandpa's Sicilian spaghetti recipe!

My Journal
05-10-2015 8:36 PM

Share This Thread