Hello There, Guest! Register

1 user browsing this thread: (0 members, and 1 guest).

Incense
Tisha
Inactive Account

Sex: Female

Rep Post

Incense
08-23-2009 8:46 AM

Anyone use incense ?? What is your purpose for using it ?

I use it frequently for many reasons. Of course my family tends to not favor it sometimes but they are pretty much used to it.

Its been around in many forms for thousands of years and most religions use it in some forum. My grandmother used to make her own but this was before the age of technology when you can shop all over the world with a click of your mouse. I buy some and I make some, there is just not enough hours in the day to collect and make everything I need or like.

I use it in meditation, spell casting, to alter the moods and help me achieve a certain state of mind, to purify.

I like to use the non combustible type although I keep both handy. Making raw incense is not hard. You buy of collect the herbs resins oils and other substances you need and grind them to powder form with a pestle. I like to try to collect mine. I hike a lot and love the woods so I spend this time meditating and looking for various natural ingredients. Of course some things I just can't find here.

Indoors I use a electric censer but out doors I use the charcoal blocks and a brass censer to burn.

So that is what I am off to do today. Collect my herbs roots barks and whatever goodies I can find to replenish my supply of incense.
08-23-2009 8:46 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
esmeralda
The Phero Faerie

Rep Post

RE: Incense
08-23-2009 11:41 AM

I used to hate incense when I was a kid, the smell was so strong!!! My father used it all the time, almost everyday when he repeated his mantras to the gods back then. He would only use the indian brands (and they were quite strong) the whole house would smell like smokey dry sandalwood, roses and myrrh....ughhhh you could say headshop! And my grandmother would sprinkle rose water around so it smelled more spiritual. *sigh* the smell is so strong it got on my clothes too and everybody used to know when I was around because of the scent on me.

He stopped using incenses for a while though, don't know why but it has been almost a decade! And now I kind of miss it, even though I used to hate it with passion. With incense it seems like I have a love/hate relationship with it. Anyhow I can't wait to receive tantric butterfly from LP, but I'm hoping that it would smell like indian incense.

My grandmother also said that incense has also been used in honeymoons/kama sutra/temples/worship/mantras...etc. in India.

For sex though - she said that (you need to use the incense sticks on an orange or some kind of fruit with some nice flowers around it - jasmine or roses are often chosen). The best ones used to "set you in the mood" are the fruity, sweet incense that are not strongly scented.

She makes her own incense too, she uses mostly sandalwood powder + rose water + grinded cinnamon (she grinds the curled woodie cinnamon sticks into powder) plus many other herbs, spices and woods that I don't even know. But since she lives in north india I guess she obtains the ingredients more easily.
(This post was last modified: 08-23-2009 11:42 AM by esmeralda.)
08-23-2009 11:41 AM
Tisha
Inactive Account

Rep Post

08-23-2009 1:48 PM

I sometimes use rose water or I make some others on my own. I like lavender water for romance. Snapdragon water for peace and protection. Pansy water to draw love. Its really easy to make and I have a lot of the egyptian bottles I keep them in once infusion has taken place. They dont keep long though. So many people pass flowers all day long and never stop to really pay attention to them. to really smell them and take in there essence. Its kinda sad.

Umm sounds like you gram was creating a romantic atmosphere with her recipe. All aphrodisiacs. Its a good one. Orange peel or blossoms for strength in marriage and ethernal love. Cinnamon is a passion stimulant as well as being used in protection and healing. Sandlewood for Love and sensuality.

It depends on my intention what I use in mine. I grind all my herbs flowers and roots and keep them seperate until I need them then mix accordingly. I only have a few favorites I mix up ahead that I use a lot.

It really is fun and interesting. I am at my sisters now. She has about 100 acres of pure untouched nature behind her house. Not hers but the state owns it. Today I found some bloodroot which I am excited about.
Oakmoss nettle dandelien root and water lily. I also picked up a few things I am not sure what they are so I have to research them a little. LOL

Tisha
08-23-2009 1:48 PM
esmeralda
The Phero Faerie

Rep Post

08-23-2009 2:41 PM

Ooohh Lavender water...I've never heard of that!!! I've seen lavender based incense and oils but never "water" like rose water. But it sounds beautiful though! I need to take a look at it! How does snapdragon smell like? Never heard of that either.

Yes, flowers are nice to smell...*sigh* I get really scared to smell them sometimes though...I know this might be immature...but what if there is a bug down there? and I inhale it!? I would run around screaming...but I do like flowers they are so pretty to look at!

hahaha... you think so? granny uses those ingredients even when she sings mantras to the gods. But then who knows if she's trying to create a romantic atmosphere all over again... she did have 14 kids with grandpa! Eek

Ooooooooh!!! I forgot orange peels!! My mother is big on that at the beginning of summer, I don't think she's big on the meaning since she never talked anything about it. She cuts them into small thin strips and let them air dry. After a few weeks when they are dry solid, she grinds them into powder, and grinds cardamon pods into powder and mix it with ghee. And then she uses something like this and my home smells so nice. It's just an experience. Not something I want to smell everyday since it will drive me nuts but once in a while is really nice!

lol!! Well have fun hunting for incense ingredients lol! Big Grin
08-23-2009 2:41 PM
zeph
=]

Sex: Male

Rep Post

08-28-2009 3:05 PM

Was never a fan of incense until recently. Only time I was around incense was when visiting the deceased. Some Chinese families usually light incense and pay their respects to the dead this way.

The incense I've been really into is cannabis. Initially it was used to conceal my uhhh... recreational hobbies, but it's grown on me. Light nag champa isn't bad either unless you hate the hippie headshop feel. I still only use it when I need to mask certain smells, but I've been interested in trying other incense when I'm not so broke. -_-;;
08-28-2009 3:05 PM

Bella
Away
Serious Poster

Rep Post

08-28-2009 5:17 PM

I use to burn incense in college. Funny thing about that, Zeph. Whenever anybody smelled it, they knew what we'd been up to...lol. It was a lot like grandpop sucking Sen-Sen so granny wouldn't know he'd been drinking. Uh huh...his licorice scented breath was always a dead give away! Big Grin

Though I do like mild incense and particularly enjoy fresh herbal/green scents, I don't burn it much anymore. I'd like to but it sometimes irritates my allergies. I do still smell it frequently when I visit my Indian friends. They love it and always have a cone or sticks burning, even in their clothing store! One of my old aunties loves it too and is always giving me sticks of something new she's found. I take them and give them away as to not hurt her feelings. ;) These days I prefer to diffuse scented oils which don't seem to irritate my sinuses. Oh, well, whatcha gonna do?

Bella
08-28-2009 5:17 PM
esmeralda
The Phero Faerie

Rep Post

08-28-2009 5:44 PM

LOL!!! I know many folks that used incense during college as well lol! ;)
(This post was last modified: 08-28-2009 5:44 PM by esmeralda.)
08-28-2009 5:44 PM
djAndarial
Getting comfortable

Rep Post

08-28-2009 11:19 PM

I still use incense in college.... for the ambiance...
08-28-2009 11:19 PM
dorfmeister
Serious Poster

Rep Post

11-15-2015 10:35 PM

I've been using Nitraj Original or Satya Sai Baba Nag Champa daily for meditation. It definitely makes a difference in my ability to focus.

Intense.
11-15-2015 10:35 PM

Share This Thread