Hello There, Guest! Register

1 user browsing this thread: (0 members, and 1 guest).

Hidden Posts and avatar issues
mark-in-dallas
Administrator

Sex: Male

Thanks Given: 1783
Thanks received:
4523 thanks in 1895 posts

Hidden Posts and avatar issues
04-07-2014 9:20 AM

Hey folks, some or many of you have talked about a couple of forum glitches where in some threads the most recent post is hidden until another post is made, and another issue in not being able to change your avatars. I had never been able to duplicate the hidden posts issue and had kind of written it off as gremlins on the server, but did run into the avatar issue today.

I think (fingers crossed) that I may have finally figured out why: Cloudflare , which is a service we use for DDoS protection and mitigation caches much of the content on the forum, meaning that when an avatar is changed it doesn't show up immediately. You'll not get an error message because as far as the forum software is concerned the change request processed successfully, but you still see the old avatar because Cloudflare served the cached image. I think it's likely that that may have been happening to some extent in forum threads as well, at least in some cases sometimes.

I tinkered around with the forum scripting and Cloudflare settings to prevent caching as much as possible, and while I'm not positive that what I was able to do will eliminate the issues 100% of the time, I'm hoping that it at least helps a great deal.

Please let me know if these changes have helped to resolve the issues.

Stop striving for PERFECTION, because the closer you get to achieving it the further away the goalpost moves. Instead, concentrate on PROGRESS, because you that you can meet and surpass every day!

Nobody changes until the pain of staying the same becomes greater than the pain of change....
04-07-2014 9:20 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Thanks given by Smelt_Funny, sushi, Pheroman, NuTrix, terry0400-40

Share This Thread

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Hidden posts debugging mike007 0 1,015 11-24-2013 5:32 PM
Last Post: mike007