Hello There, Guest! Register

1 user browsing this thread: (0 members, and 1 guest).

Forum Enhancement ideas!
2Soon2Care
Serious Poster

Sex: Male

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 245
Thanks received:
607 thanks in 325 posts

Forum Enhancement ideas!
06-26-2011 8:03 AM

I'm using a crappy Palm Pre, and scrolling to the bottom of a page with a ton of posts is tedious at best. When viewing the forum from a mobile browser (or any regular one Chrome/FireFox, IE, Safari), are there any enhancements that could be done to allow end-user interaction for :

jumping to first/last post on the page (same effect as scrollingto top/bottom) - something that might appear at the top/bottom control bar of each post?

provide a trimmed-down page view that isn't so wide and so busy - having to zoom in to be able to click links/control buttons over and over again is tiresome

setting to go directly to a User CP or Portal at login

setting to allow default display in User CP/Portal to be most recent posts/last day's posts

option for after changing an option in the Your Profile..Edit Options, return to the options page rather than returning to the Profile page

in the User CP, setting to adjust how many Last Threads, Last Posts, Most Popular Threads are shown

In the Portal view.. Latest News & Announcements, do not show messages that have already been read - this area is not terribly useful without filtering out the ones that have been viewed

In the search, having a minimum character limit means some of the mones such as TAL, etc. that I would like to search for are not indexed and finding posts containing them is difficult - extending the search indexing with a taxonomy that relates something like "IS" = "Instant Shine", "neno" = "pregnenolone", etc. and has a blacklist of non-indexed common throwaway words (the, and, etc.) would be a more useful search/index system if one exists for this forum software. The taxonomy for search/index would also tremendously expand the usefulness of this forum which is already so rich with information - mining for references and cross-references (search would "know" that "AD" is "Androtics" is "Androtics Direct" and could show exact matches as well as close matches and "context" related matches in a way similar to the "wonder wheel" in google searches. I'd be happy to help with finding something like this if desired, unstructured information (text, documents, messages, etc.) search/indexing is something I've been working with the past few years for work.

That's all i can think of for now, absolutely love it here and want to help it be easier to use for myself and everyone!

Thanks!
-2Soon2Care

I'll spray anything apparently...
06-26-2011 8:03 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Beccah
Queen of the Bs

Sex: Female

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 33
Thanks received:
287 thanks in 362 posts

RE: Forum Enhancement ideas!
06-26-2011 10:35 AM

Good idea, I do know you can get to your CP @ the top where it says "Welcome Back _".
06-26-2011 10:35 AM
Thanks given by 2Soon2Care
2Soon2Care
Serious Poster

Rep Post

Thanks received:
607 thanks in 325 posts

06-26-2011 10:42 AM

Yes, the User CP or Portal is where I typically go - unpinch to zoom, click, unpinch to zoom, click on latest post/etc, scroll forever to get to top/bottom of a page or have to zoom, click, repeat to get to first/last post if I have number of posts per page set small

06-26-2011 10:42 AM
mark-in-dallas
Administrator

Thanks Given: 1823
Thanks received:
4764 thanks in 1970 posts

06-26-2011 10:46 AM

Great ideaas, but unfortunatly most of them are not possible. Removing the character limit in searches for instance would heavily tax the server, and turn up a ton of irrelevant results, as to have a usable search system it quesries the database for text strings, I.E. seaching for AD would turn up every post that contained mad, sad, glad, advertise, spade, etc, etc, etc.

As to a more user friendly version for your palm, you can use the Lite (Archieve) Mode to navigate the forum, which is linked at the bottom of every page.

You do have several user adjustable features in the Edxit Options panel of your user CP though.

Nobody changes until the pain of staying the same becomes greater than the pain of change....
06-26-2011 10:46 AM
Thanks given by 2Soon2Care
2Soon2Care
Serious Poster

Rep Post

Thanks received:
607 thanks in 325 posts

06-26-2011 11:37 AM

Ok I'll check out the lite version, it says Lite (Archive) so that didn't click with me that it was the text-only version.

Some of the search features that are hosted externally (like Google site search) can include taxonomies and ontologies that take care of word partial matches and text breaks so that if you search for "AD" would not do partial matches. Mostly they just spider all the posts in the forum and index them off-server so that the load is minimal on the server (except during spidering) but I understand your concern - hosting ain't free and resources are never unlimited!

I was hoping that add-ons/extensions/etc for the MyBB existed to do some of that stuff, but I wasn't going to put effort into researching if there was no interest.

Thanks!

06-26-2011 11:37 AM

Share This Thread