Hello There, Guest! Register

1 user browsing this thread: (0 members, and 1 guest).

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Ethics, aphrodisiacs, and pheromones
jvkohl
Expert

Sex: Male

Ethics, aphrodisiacs, and pheromones
10-30-2011 9:33 PM

This question came up in a discussion on the evolutionary psychology yahoo group. I've rewritten it with my answer from my blog.

Q. What is the difference between an aphrodisiac and an effect of chemicals that cause sexual excitement? Should an ethical "line" be drawn in terms of what changes can be deliberately brought about in another person as a way to accomplish some goal?

A. The cosmetic industry has set the standard, albeit with products that elicit affects on behavior via some unknown mechanism, which is not modeled in any other animal species. To some sensory psychologists, human visual appeal simply exists in the absence of any biological basis. In constrast, the behavior of other animals is driven by the effect of pheromones on hormones. Because the biologically based effects of pheromones on hormones is modeled across all animal species, it is extremely likely that pheromone-enhanced products have even more potent affects on behavior than does visual enhancement.

Meanwhile, cosmetic industry experts and most people accept modulation of the perception of biologically important signals when attempts are made to enhance visual appeal. But, since no one has drawn the line at breast augmentation or labiaplasty, I'm not likely to draw the line on goal-seeking via pheromone-enhancement. That would be like telling people not to use spices to increase the appeal of food, or not to develop pheromones for use as non-invasive therapy that replaces neural stem cell transplants into the brain of people afflicted with Alzheimer's disease.

James V. Kohl
Clinical Laboratory Scientist (ASCLS)
Medical Laboratory Scientist (ASCP)
Medical Technologist (AMT)
Author/Creator: The Scent of Eros
10-30-2011 9:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CanadianGuy45
Serious Poster

Rep Post

RE: Ethics, aphrodisiacs, and pheromones
02-04-2012 6:00 PM

I agree. A very interesting as well as a very valid point.

Journal:
http://pherotruth.com/Thread-Life-in-a-Northern-Town

Mone Stash:
Damn near everything!
02-04-2012 6:00 PM
Beccah
Queen of the Bs

Sex: Female

Rep Post

02-05-2012 5:38 PM

Well, to be fair, the cosmetics industry/media has pretty much brain washed the population to perceive beauty in a way that benefits them financially. Purposefully aiming to lower the self esteem of women or men for financial gain is highly unethical, imo. Personally, I feel that breast implants/other drastic surgeries are retarded measures to go to. Who the hell wants to be with someone who's only interested the parts of them that didn't come factory standard??? I highly approve of pheromones to achieve one's goal, instead. I really can't see the harm in stimulating people's emotions via the chemical indicators we're naturally equipped with anyway.
02-05-2012 5:38 PM
jvkohl
Expert

02-05-2012 9:46 PM

Labiaplasty should not have been a consideration so far as I'm concerned. In my YouTube video from my presentation to Mensa I pose the question about visual appeal and ask "what are you looking for "down there" as a joke.

James V. Kohl
02-05-2012 9:46 PM
Beccah
Queen of the Bs

Rep Post

02-06-2012 2:43 PM

(02-05-2012 9:46 PM)jvkohl Wrote:  Labiaplasty should not have been a consideration so far as I'm concerned. In my YouTube video from my presentation to Mensa I pose the question about visual appeal and ask "what are you looking for "down there" as a joke.

Bwahahaha!!!!!
02-06-2012 2:43 PM

jvkohl
Expert

02-06-2012 6:07 PM

(02-06-2012 2:43 PM)Beccah Wrote:  Bwahahaha!!!!!

Here's a link to the 5.5 minute
It's one of four from my presentation to Mensa.

James V. Kohl
02-06-2012 6:07 PM
Beccah
Queen of the Bs

Rep Post

02-07-2012 12:28 AM

Very informative & entertaining Smile
02-07-2012 12:28 AM
jvkohl
Expert

02-07-2012 7:53 AM

(02-07-2012 12:28 AM)Beccah Wrote:  Very informative & entertaining Smile

Thanks, in one of the other excerpts from this presentation I explain why most men develop a preference for large-breasted women. Their first association with pheromones from the breast is as an infant exposed to the pheromones or their mother. And every breast is large to an infant male. The effect of the pheromones on the infant male's hormones is a form of olfactory/pheromonal imprinting associated with increased testosterone. When testosterone levels begin to increase, as with pubertal onset, the imprint is subconsciously recalled and manifested in sexual arousal to the sight of breasts.

James V. Kohl
02-07-2012 7:53 AM
Beccah
Queen of the Bs

Rep Post

02-07-2012 3:03 PM

I breast fed both of my boys. My preschooler is still fascinated with breasts (in a non-sexual way). My 13 yr.old seems to have a preference for more voluptuous figures as well, not that he would tell me, I just find my Cosmos with celebs like Kim Kardashian on the cover, in his room.
02-07-2012 3:03 PM
jvkohl
Expert

02-07-2012 3:28 PM

(02-07-2012 3:03 PM)Beccah Wrote:  I breast fed both of my boys. My preschooler is still fascinated with breasts (in a non-sexual way). My 13 yr.old seems to have a preference for more voluptuous figures as well, not that he would tell me, I just find my Cosmos with celebs like Kim Kardashian on the cover, in his room.

This is a concept that combines nutrition and pheromones from birth and extends it to the development of the mother-infant bond and social behaviors based on chemical exchanges that begin in utero in placental mammals. Speculatively, I could use this concept to explain much more than just the preference of heterosexual adolescents for large breasted women, but it's best to wait for the data to come in. Hope that you will watch the other Youtube videos from my Mensa presentation and comment.

James V. Kohl
02-07-2012 3:28 PM

Share This Thread