Hello There, Guest! Register

1 user browsing this thread: (0 members, and 1 guest).

Editing
DGamer
Player of the Game

Sex: Often Please

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 524
Thanks received:
687 thanks in 279 posts

Editing
05-20-2012 2:52 AM

Now I know that a member abused editing and that's why it has been cancelled. However, I don't see why one bad egg should ruin it for everyone. Some people like IDK make great use of the editing system to keep an up to date knowledge post.

So how do we prevent problems? One idea would be to create a versioning system, to where admins could revert a post to what it used to be. Or allow members to see the unedited version of the post.

Now as we all know, this forum is full of intelligent people, so post your solutions!!!

Compendium still under construction, no ETA
05-20-2012 2:52 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

mark-in-dallas
Administrator

Sex: Male

Thanks Given: 1822
Thanks received:
4760 thanks in 1968 posts

RE: Editing
05-20-2012 9:58 AM

This has already been discussed and resolved in another thread! It was not just one member, it was a number of them, and involved hundreds of posts, going back to when the forum was started.

You can still edit your posts until a reply has been made after that post, and you can still edit any post in your jounal, regardless of whether there are replies or not.

You can't take back or change what you've said after it was said and you can't change what you wrote in a letter or email after you sent it, why should you be able to do so on a forum?

If you cant accept responsibility for what you've posted after somebody has responded, then don't post.

Nobody changes until the pain of staying the same becomes greater than the pain of change....
05-20-2012 9:58 AM
Thanks given by Pheroquirk
DGamer
Player of the Game

Sex: Often Please

Rep Post

Thanks Given: 524
Thanks received:
687 thanks in 279 posts

05-20-2012 1:11 PM

Oh, a large number of people, nevermind then X_X

For the future, it's fine if I post my information compendium on the journal section right?

Compendium still under construction, no ETA
05-20-2012 1:11 PM
mark-in-dallas
Administrator

Sex: Male

Thanks Given: 1822
Thanks received:
4760 thanks in 1968 posts

05-20-2012 1:30 PM

(05-20-2012 1:11 PM)DGamer Wrote:  Oh, a large number of people, nevermind then X_X

For the future, it's fine if I post my information compendium on the journal section right?

Correct on both! But, you can only edit your every post in your own journal. Anything posted in other people journals is still subject to the same rule that posts can only be edited until a new reply has been submitted.

And, I can think of 5 people right off hand that abused the ability to edit posts. In one case one of those individuals only edited their post after I received a demand to delete the post or face a lawsuit. I refused to do so, citing federal statute that I cannot be held liable for what anyone says on the forum, and when the member realized that it could be their ass in the sling, then went back and deleted what they said.

I'm sure there were many more that we missed.

Nobody changes until the pain of staying the same becomes greater than the pain of change....
05-20-2012 1:30 PM

Share This Thread

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Editing a new thread created by me Akelah 9 3,571 08-29-2012 1:38 PM
Last Post: Pagodeiro