Hello There, Guest! Register

1 user browsing this thread: (0 members, and 1 guest).

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Does Scent Enhance Consumer Product Memories?
Niatalya
Contributes Regularly

Sex: Female

Rep Post

Does Scent Enhance Consumer Product Memories?
12-17-2009 8:19 PM

12-17-2009 8:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bella
Away
Serious Poster

Sex: Female

Rep Post

RE: Does Scent Enhance Consumer Product Memories?
12-21-2009 3:59 PM

"Our studies show that product scent significantly enhances recall of product information, and that this enhanced memory for product information persists over time -- for at least two weeks after the time of exposure," the authors write.

Associative scent, yeah, I associate a lot of things with scent, nothin' really new there. Jeez, Tide has a signature scent all it's own. I wouldn't be surprised if Demeter makes a dupe of it. I'd venture to say most people would be able to identify it blindfolded, np! Charmin also comes to mind...lol. I remember when it first came out. Its claim to fame was softness. Who doesn't like softness...there?

More than the purported softness, the thing that stuck in my mind was the scent of the stuff. I hate it and scented paper products in general. I associate that horrid scent with the product. So, I guess that the product scent does significantly recall information. It reminds me not to buy it! It works, just not the way they intended. :D

"this enhanced memory for product information persists over time -- for at least two weeks after the time of exposure," the authors write.

So, I know I have long-term associative scent memories. We've discussed it many times...the smell of grandma's bread baking, grampa's pipe tobacco, etc. It makes me think that these memories can persist over a much longer period of time than has been reported. Perhaps repeated exposure extends enhanced memory for years, even decades. And maybe with some scents one exposure is sufficient to keep you recalling...whatever...forever.

Bella

12-21-2009 3:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Share This Thread