Hello There, Guest! Register

1 user browsing this thread: (0 members, and 1 guest).

Boeing's new jetliner takes to the skies...
Data4
Contributes Regularly

Sex: Male

Rep Post

Boeing's new jetliner takes to the skies...
12-16-2009 3:21 AM

The grey, rainy skies of the northwest, but still... the plastic plane flies! This has a special place in my heart, since some of my quite literal blood, sweat, and tears took off with it. Big Grin

Near the end, that's not a fish-eye effect. The wings really are flexing that much. Big Grin

12-16-2009 3:21 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Gegogi
Yikes! Cupcakes 'n Bondage

Rep Post

RE: Boeing's new jetliner takes to the skies...
12-16-2009 3:47 AM

My sister was a computer tech working on the 767 for nearly 15 years and she and her department were laid off some years back. She was a single mother and her mortgage and family basically imploded.

Ah don't wanna pickle...just wanna ride mah motosickle! Twisted
(This post was last modified: 12-16-2009 3:49 AM by Gegogi.)
12-16-2009 3:47 AM
Data4
Contributes Regularly

Rep Post

12-16-2009 6:50 AM

(12-16-2009 3:47 AM)Gegogi Wrote:  My sister was a computer tech working on the 767 for nearly 15 years and she and her department were laid off some years back. She was a single mother and her mortgage and family basically imploded.

Until the economy picks up, I'm in a constant state of worry about getting laid off. The decision to put the second 787 assembly line in South Carolina recently doesn't help matters much, either. The seniority system blows. There are people I work with that have been with the company for 20+ years who are completely useless, but they have more security than me and will keep going into retirement long after I've been laid off, should it happen.

But right now, I'm celebrating this more as an aviation geek, with just a little bit of pride that work I did is contributing. I'm sorry about your sister, Gegogi.
12-16-2009 6:50 AM
mark-in-dallas
Nobody at all

Rep Post

12-16-2009 9:40 AM

Congratulations Jon! BTW, has anybody else noticed that the economy seem to have become pretty much a non issue with Obama and that he could care less about us?

The older I get the less threatening a life sentence sounds

Sympathy for the Devil only results in victimized angels.
12-16-2009 9:40 AM
Gegogi
Yikes! Cupcakes 'n Bondage

Rep Post

12-16-2009 4:07 PM

(12-16-2009 9:40 AM)mark-in-dallas Wrote:  Congratulations Jon! BTW, has anybody else noticed that the economy seem to have become pretty much a non issue with Obama and that he could care less about us?

Maybe there's a reason why his security keeps letting unauthorized people sneak into the White House...

Ah don't wanna pickle...just wanna ride mah motosickle! Twisted
12-16-2009 4:07 PM

Bosshank
Not so Junior Member

Rep Post

12-16-2009 9:36 PM

Jon - I know you and your friends are proud of your contributions to that behemouth. congrats! And I sincerely hope you do not get laid off.

(12-16-2009 9:40 AM)mark-in-dallas Wrote:    BTW, has anybody else noticed that the economy seem to have become pretty much a non issue with Obama and that he could care less about us?

I think he has a much bigger agenda the mere jobs ... but to sound really cynical - what kept me working really hard on the heavy bag today was the thought of how most career politicians seem to think the most important thing in the world is their own re-election. Heaven forbid they should ever give up the power, prestige and perks. 

(This post was last modified: 12-16-2009 9:44 PM by Bosshank.)
12-16-2009 9:36 PM
Data4
Contributes Regularly

Rep Post

12-17-2009 2:44 AM

(12-16-2009 9:36 PM)Bosshank Wrote:  Jon - I know you and your friends are proud of your contributions to that behemouth. congrats! And I sincerely hope you do not get laid off.

Thanks!

Quote:I think he has a much bigger agenda the mere jobs ... but to sound really cynical - what kept me working really hard on the heavy bag today was the thought of how most career politicians seem to think the most important thing in the world is their own re-election. Heaven forbid they should ever give up the power, prestige and perks.

I dunno... to read poll numbers (and not just those on Fox News. I'm talking CNN, RealClearPolitics, etc.), it seems they're hellbent on passing this monstronsity of a health care bill as a kamikazee attack before what is shaping up to be a redux of the '94 Republican takeover. The majority of people just don't want it. Harry Reid is pretty much a goner come November of next year. Pretty much all of the Democrats who are up for re-election are going to have uphill fights in the elections. And rightly so.

12-17-2009 2:44 AM
Bosshank
Not so Junior Member

Rep Post

12-17-2009 9:23 AM

What can be voted in can be voted out. What can be legislated can be unlegislated. Sometimes.
12-17-2009 9:23 AM
Phya
Contributes Regularly

Rep Post

12-17-2009 4:13 PM

Hey Jon, congratulations on getting that plane to fly! It must be cool to see your work in action. What parts on the plane did you specifically work on?

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma... which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary."
-Steve Jobs
12-17-2009 4:13 PM
Data4
Contributes Regularly

Rep Post

12-18-2009 3:02 AM

(12-17-2009 4:13 PM)Phya Wrote:  Hey Jon, congratulations on getting that plane to fly! It must be cool to see your work in action. What parts on the plane did you specifically work on?

Thanks, Phya, though my contributions were pretty small in the grand scheme of things. The cool thing is the scope. Prior to working for Boeing, I worked for the primary supplier of composite materials for the 787, so in truth, everything composite on that plane has a little of something I did. I participated in the manufacturing process of the material, as well as quality testing. Then, when I went to work for Boeing, I worked in Composites Fabrication, using the very same material I helped manufacture to make a whole host of parts, from wiring harnesses to the skin and spar of the rudder, as well as various test articles.

I've since moved to work on the 737, so if you happen to fly on one built in the last 1.5 years, it may have landing gear parts that I installed. Don't worry, I kick ass at my job. Big Grin

(This post was last modified: 12-18-2009 3:04 AM by Data4.)
12-18-2009 3:02 AM

Share This Thread

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Federal Government takes over the Internet mark-in-dallas 0 1,385 02-14-2015 11:09 AM
Last Post: mark-in-dallas